Left Behind (remake)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Left Behind (remake)

Nicolas Cage is in negotiations to play Rayford in Left Behind, a 'mainstream' remake of the Christian-themed movie franchise, reports Variety. The project comes from Stoney Lake Entertainment, the new production company led by Paul Lalonde of Cloud Ten Pictures.

The franchise is based on the series of books written by Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins that have sold more than 65 million copies worldwide. Kirk Cameron starred in the original trilogy of which the first film hit theaters in 2001.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wife and I read the entire series, but were so disappointed with the first movie that we never watched any others that were made based on the novels.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wife and I read the entire series, but were so disappointed with the first movie that we never watched any others that were made based on the novels.

Be glad you didn't. The first wasn't totally terrible but it didn't capture the page turner that the book was. As for the book series, great read all the way up to Glorious Appearing when the series jumped the shark. The prequel and sequel books were horrible. I don't mind a remake but I hope they don't lose the message of the story. It's a religious story and it's meant to be one, however, it doesn't have to be as preachy as the books.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Left Behind (remake)

Nicolas Cage is in negotiations to play Rayford in Left Behind, a 'mainstream' remake of the Christian-themed movie franchise, reports Variety. The project comes from Stoney Lake Entertainment, the new production company led by Paul Lalonde of Cloud Ten Pictures.

The franchise is based on the series of books written by Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins that have sold more than 65 million copies worldwide. Kirk Cameron starred in the original trilogy of which the first film hit theaters in 2001.

How is Cage not playing Jesus?

You must be registered for see images attach

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great - a crappy actor for a crappy series!!

A match made in Hell!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How are they resurrecting this already!!!??

The religious right seems stronger than ever. Why wouldn't they think that this would be as popular as the first time it was released?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The religious right seems stronger than ever. Why wouldn't they think that this would be as popular as the first time it was released?

Cost $4 million to make. Grossed $4.2 million domestically.

The next comment gets this thread moved to P&R, but I'll try to state it as simply as possible: Not all "religious right" believe in this eschatology. Certainly not all Evangelicals. Amillennialist preterism (Tribulation, Israel nation-state stuff, most other stuff fulfilled by A.D. 70; no literal 1,000-year reign of Jesus on Earth) is far more dominant, but not really great fodder for fantastical novels.

I've avoided the books and movies like a disease.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The next comment gets this thread moved to P&R, but I'll try to state it as simply as possible: Not all "religious right" believe in this eschatology. Certainly not all Evangelicals. Amillennialist preterism (Tribulation, Israel nation-state stuff, most other stuff fulfilled by A.D. 70; no literal 1,000-year reign of Jesus on Earth) is far more dominant, but not really great fodder for fantastical novels.

It was very popular on DVD releases.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It used to be that a very, very small minority of the the "religious right" believed in this version of the future and I doubt that's changed much.

I enjoyed the books purely as a work of science fiction. I don't believe in vampires but I have no problem enjoying a good Buffy episode or even a trashy Laurell K Hamilton novel. It's a good premise if they just want to tell a story and make a few bucks - if it's an attempt to scare/convert the masses, I'll give it a pass.

Steve

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Funny how a movie like Sinister is getting a ton of must see's or how movies that involve an evil or some kind of evil supreme being(Amityville Horror, Exorcist, etc) and people are positive about it but dare to make a pro-Christian story(this or Passion of the Christ) and people lose their minds. The ironic thing is that part of the message of the Left Behind books touches on this very thing. To me, the anti-religious people need to grow up.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny how a movie like Sinister is getting a ton of must see's or how movies that involve an evil or some kind of evil supreme being(Amityville Horror, Exorcist, etc) and people are positive about it but dare to make a pro-Christian story(this or Passion of the Christ) and people lose their minds. The ironic thing is that part of the message of the Left Behind books touches on this very thing. To me, the anti-religious people need to grow up.

I admit: I'm a conservative Evangelical and I'm anti-religious. I refuse to grow up.

[I also hate horror movies]