Lebron Shocked to Discover Regular Season Now Matters

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
7th seed. Play in game against Memphis, then face an injured Utah team.

6th seed. Face a Nuggets team that is really deep and still playing very well despite losing Murray.

5th seed. Play the Clippers who are at nearly full strength and out for blood.

After the risk of the play in game, the 7th seed might be their easiest path.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
7th seed. Play in game against Memphis, then face an injured Utah team.

6th seed. Face a Nuggets team that is really deep and still playing very well despite losing Murray.

5th seed. Play the Clippers who are at nearly full strength and out for blood.

After the risk of the play in game, the 7th seed might be their easiest path.

Yup - of course the danger is always that you LOSE the play-in game.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the play-in games give the top two seeded teams in each conference an advantage because the 7th and 8th seeded teams have to play extra games.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the play-in games give the top two seeded teams in each conference an advantage because the 7th and 8th seeded teams have to play extra games.

Correct and I love it because it runs counter to the load management strategy of the regular season

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its funny how the 2 loudest voices against the play in games have come from teams that are looking at playing those games. First it was Cuban griping before Dallas went on a run and the Lakers stumbled. Now its LeBron because the Lakers have fallen apart.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Its funny how the 2 loudest voices against the play in games have come from teams that are looking at playing those games. First it was Cuban griping before Dallas went on a run and the Lakers stumbled. Now its LeBron because the Lakers have fallen apart.
I'm amazed his marketing team hasn't warned him of what this looks like.

But wouldn't it be fitting if in a couple days there was a report that the board of governors are going to look at the viability of a play-in tournament in the offseason? This guy has too much power.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I'm amazed his marketing team hasn't warned him of what this looks like.

But wouldn't it be fitting if in a couple days there was a report that the board of governors are going to look at the viability of a play-in tournament in the offseason? This guy has too much power.
It's a valid thing to question in the offseason as it isn't without its pitfalls. That being said it shouldn't get a 2nd look just because LeBron doesn't like it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lebron is expected to sit out Nuggets game.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I get the play-in last year where the season was unexpectedly shortened. But in a regular year - even a shortened one - you know how many games are going to be played. Win your games and you’re in. Don’t and you’re not. An entire seasons worth of games shouldn’t be unwound by a single game with a team that just didn’t win enough games to qualify for the playoffs.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get the play-in last year where the season was unexpectedly shortened. But in a regular year - even a shortened one - you know how many games are going to be played. Win your games and you’re in. Don’t and you’re not. An entire seasons worth of games shouldn’t be unwound by a single game with a team that just didn’t win enough games to qualify for the playoffs.

I agree with that but I've always thought there should be a playoff or play-in game between 8 & 9 if there was a tie. I know there are tiebreakers but it would create quality tv.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Right now, the 7th seed, Portland, is 36-28. The current 8th seed, Memphis is 32-31. If I was a Portland fan, I would be ticked off that I'd have to participate in a tournament when I had the 7th seed easily attained. Why should Portland have to play in a tournament when they've earned that 7th spot pretty handily (they are in fact tied with Dallas and the Lakers at 5, 6, and 7)?

Amazingly, from the outside looking in, it's exciting, but imagine if we were the 7th or 8th seed right now and knowing we'd still have to play a tournament to make it into the playoffs against teams that didn't have as good a regular season as you did.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't want to defend Lebron but the play-in format was fine for the bubble but I not a fan of it for a normal season. Although this season is only 72 games, the condensed schedule makes it feel longer and more grinding.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They should get rid of it next year if it is a normal season.

I understand it's usage this year with the shortened season, postponed games, etc.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right now, the 7th seed, Portland, is 36-28. The current 8th seed, Memphis is 32-31. If I was a Portland fan, I would be ticked off that I'd have to participate in a tournament when I had the 7th seed easily attained. Why should Portland have to play in a tournament when they've earned that 7th spot pretty handily (they are in fact tied with Dallas and the Lakers at 5, 6, and 7)?

Amazingly, from the outside looking in, it's exciting, but imagine if we were the 7th or 8th seed right now and knowing we'd still have to play a tournament to make it into the playoffs against teams that didn't have as good a regular season as you did.

totally agree.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The flip side of this is that the teams in the 5, 6, and 7 seeds can't load manage and take games off at the end of the season. In the East the 4 seeded Knicks are just 2.5 games ahead of that play in seed.

I am watching more NBA lately because of it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The flip side of this is that the teams in the 5, 6, and 7 seeds can't load manage and take games off at the end of the season. In the East the 4 seeded Knicks are just 2.5 games ahead of that play in seed.

I am watching more NBA lately because of it.
I think you are in the perfect position as the neutral NBA fan to enjoy the tournament. But again, imagine if you were a fan of the 7th or 8th seed team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Golfermcr