Latest rumor has Cardinals picking Trufant

Houdini

Registered
Reaction score
Rick Ballou had a guest on his show just now, Todd McShae ?Spelling?

He just said from his sources he talked to today in Arizona, if Trufant and Suggs are still on the board, they will go Trufant.

OP
OP
Houdini

Houdini

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by MadCardDisease
I'd hate to say I told you all so! ;)

"You heard it here first at ASFN" :D

I still think it still might depend if the Cardinals can find a team to trade down with. I wish I was paying more attention to the radio show (It's still on 1060 right now) I missed where he predicted Leftwhich to go.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like I said before, I really think a pick like Trufant would appeal to Bidwill. Take care of two needs in one guy, and save the extra salary. It'd totally be 'beancounter' type of thinking influencing the selection of Trufant, if it happens. He's a nice player and all, but passing on Suggs to take him would be lunacy IMO.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
You can have four of the best cover-corners in the history of the NFL on the field at once, and an average receiver WILL get open if the QB is given 10 seconds to throw the dang ball!

Pass rush must be the priority for the Cardinals for this draft!

Trufant is a special talent, but if Suggs is there, that has to be the pick! And if Rien Long makes to #27 overall, take him too! That should appease all the WAZZU fans out there (including me :D )

OP
OP
Houdini

Houdini

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by ajcardfan
Like I said before, I really think a pick like Trufant would appeal to Bidwill. Take care of two needs in one guy, and save the extra salary. It'd totally be 'beancounter' type of thinking influencing the selection of Trufant, if it happens. He's a nice player and all, but passing on Suggs to take him would be lunacy IMO.

I'd actually give some credit to Graves and Bidwill if they passed on Suggs. None of us can be certain if that would be a mistake or not even though we all have our different opinions on it. But picking the hometown guy would be the easy pick for the Cardinals because he is the fan favorite which could help draw some fans and win some popularity. If they pass on Suggs, it actually tells me they are more concerned with trying to get the best player instead of the most popular player. So even if it turns out to be a mistake to pass on Suggs, it would show some balls by not picking the easy, popular choice in the hometown hero. I doubt that makes the pro Suggs crowd feel better, but it might be another way of looking at the Cardinal's front office if they bypass Suggs.

outcent

Rookie
Reaction score
Who is it the Saints really want? It might just be bs. Why would they trade with us instead of Minnesota if we are not interseted in the guy they want? Just a thought.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Houdini
I'd actually give some credit to Graves and Bidwill if they passed on Suggs. None of us can be certain if that would be a mistake or not even though we all have our different opinions on it. But picking the hometown guy would be the easy pick for the Cardinals because he is the fan favorite which could help draw some fans and win some popularity. If they pass on Suggs, it actually tells me they are more concerned with trying to get the best player instead of the most popular player. So even if it turns out to be a mistake to pass on Suggs, it would show some balls by not picking the easy, popular choice in the hometown hero. I doubt that makes the pro Suggs crowd feel better, but it might be another way of looking at the Cardinal's front office if they bypass Suggs.

If they picked Trufant, I'd root like heck for it to turn out okay. But we've had way too many first round picks not pan out for me to say, "Yeah, he was a bust, but man they had some balls when they made that pick by going against conventional wisdom!"

I also think it's pretty questionable to what extent the Cardinals let their "popularity" influence their personnel decisions. If they really, really cared about that then would get their first round picks signed on time and not let free agents they really want leave town without an offer. That's the sort of year in and year out thing that really kills them in PR. Their lack of PR savvy is downright stunning at times.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Originally posted by outcent
Who is it the Saints really want? It might just be bs. Why would they trade with us instead of Minnesota if we are not interseted in the guy they want? Just a thought.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh...they might be listening... :shock:

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pros and Cons for potential Cards picks

Trufant - What I like about drafting him is that true cover CB's are very hard to find and all indications are that he has that talent. This draft gets very thin at CB after Newman and Trufant. The Cards really don't have much potential at the CB position after Starks and Barrett and both of these players still need to prove themselves. There is a good deal of potential for pass rushers on the team and in this draft.

Suggs - How will he do in the NFL since college success doesn't always translate well to the Pros. Lack of speed in the 40 is somewhat of a concern but there is no denying his incredible quickness off the line. To me this is the number one trait needed to excel as a pass rusher. Does this team hope and pray that D. Johnson or KVB steps up this year or they can get lucky in the 2nd or 3rd rd with a player that can create a pass rush. Bottom line is that the Cards have been horrible at pressuring the QB for many years and at some point they have to get this fixed, well here is their golden opportunity.

Kennedy - Robertson will be gone so now do the Cards decide to fix another glaring weakness on the D. Ranked 30 against the run last year and not much better in the previous years. Many teams now value a run stuffing DT as much as a pass rushing DE. As many as 6 DT's will go in the top 15 of this draft and that is amazing. Kennedy is now a pass rushing demon but he will help the cause with his push up the middle and ability to creat lanes for stunting and ability to tie up more than one blocker. This team has tried getting run stuffers in the middle rounds and has had very limited success. Tanner, Davis and Bell will be far more effective with less playing time, they just seem to wear down when played too much. Bryant should be able to have more of an impact with Kennedy taking on multiple blockers. Plus we don't know for sure if Bryant will be an impact player so getting one at this position in Kennedy would seem imperative. If both turn out to be studs then all of the front seven players on defense get better.

Lefwich - This guy can throw the rock and has incredible leadership skills. Solving the QB situation for years to come is a home run in any draft. His twice broken leg is an obvious concern and the draft is deep with other great prospects at QB. This is a very tough call and one that could haunt the Cards for years.

So again I say trade down a couple of slots, best bet the Ravens, and then take whoever is left. Anyone of these players will help the team immensely and the Cards get an extra pick to fill another need on this team.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn