Latest on possible Ariza trade

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Any word yet as to whether we gave up our own second round pick on top of everything else...or worse, multiple second round picks?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's a vet player, past his prime on an expiring deal. Unless we added anything of notable value, you weren't going get much in return.

Expiring contracts aren't that high in value anymore.

I don't think he was ever as good as he's made out to be but I'm confident he's nowhere near as bad as we made him look. He's a role player and we needed him to be much more than that. Put him in the right situation and he will help a team, far more than Tyson is doing right now in LA IMO. I'm not sure the Wizards are the right situation though but at least he'll be surrounded by enough talent that he can do what he's best at.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
So many shooting guards, I am anticipating a second move.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Also wondering what we really gave up besides Ariza?

Trifecta

Veteran
Reaction score
Oh thank god we got more wings - I was worried we were starting to running low.

I guess we didn't give up much so it could be worse. But we can add the signing of Ariza as our marquee free agent last season to the endless list of blunders this team has made. And trading away a well respected veteran within minutes of his eligibility speaks volumes about the state of our team (as if we didn't know already).

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now the trade is in jeopardy after all this.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
He's a vet player, past his prime on an expiring deal. Unless we added anything of notable value, you weren't going get much in return.

Expiring contracts aren't that high in value anymore.

Expiring contracts have ZERO value... as does the always over-ballyhooed "cap space" if you are a franchise no decent free agent would come within 100 miles of because it's the NBA market equivalent of a radioactive landfill.

The Suns can have all the cap space in the world next year, and it won't make a lick of difference, except maybe to Sarver's budget.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Eh, underwhelming, but not bad. I think getting rid of Ariza is addition by subtraction. Brooks and even Shelden are at least actual NBA players, as is Rivers. While I was never a fan of Rivers, he is better than anything the Suns have on the roster, outside of Booker, Warren, Ayton, and Bridges. I suppose Holmes and Crawford might be better too.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Now the trade is in jeopardy after all this.

AND...James Jones' total incompetence and unfitness for the GM position shines through. We need a real GM something awful.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Everyone was convinced we'd add some stud somehow for sending Ariza's corpse out. No one wanted us to make a deal with the Lakers either so our options weren't great. If Austin Rivers dad wasn't a coach in the NBA then I think he would be looked at similar to how some other backups that have been discussed. Is this good? I'm not sure but it's better than benching Ariza and getting nothing in return or looking like we're helping Lebron again. We didn't take on salary and we got a couple of young players we can get a look at. It's not the end of the world, Ariza's value was an expiring vet and since Houston had nothing to offer but Brandon Knight and the Lakers weren't an option we got the best we could for him.

Anyone who thought we'd get more was fooling themselves just like when some thought we'd get Lonzo for free in the offseason for taking on Deng's inflated contract. The NBA isn't the same as it was 6-7 years ago. Expiring deals aren't worth 1st round picks anymore unless we were willing to take on long term cap killing contracts in return. No one wanted that either.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
How much do you want to bet that James Jones caves and takes MarShon Brooks in the deal?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Everyone was convinced we'd add some stud somehow for sending Ariza's corpse out. No one wanted us to make a deal with the Lakers either so our options weren't great. If Austin Rivers dad wasn't a coach in the NBA then I think he would be looked at similar to how some other backups that have been discussed. Is this good? I'm not sure but it's better than benching Ariza and getting nothing in return or looking like we're helping Lebron again. We didn't take on salary and we got a couple of young players we can get a look at. It's not the end of the world, Ariza's value was an expiring vet and since Houston had nothing to offer but Brandon Knight and the Lakers weren't an option we got the best we could for him.

Anyone who thought we'd get more was fooling themselves just like when some thought we'd get Lonzo for free in the offseason for taking on Deng's inflated contract. The NBA isn't the same as it was 6-7 years ago. Expiring deals aren't worth 1st round picks anymore unless we were willing to take on long term cap killing contracts in return. No one wanted that either.

I absolutely wanted to take on a longer term contract in a trade, as long as it was someone who could help us potentially long term. No free agent of any worth is going to sign here anyway, so our only hope to get the legitimate NBA veterans we so badly need for our roster is to trade for them.

And if Austin Rivers' dad wasn't a coach in the NBA, Austin Rivers would have never been on an NBA roster.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So who will if finally be? Marshon Brooks, Dillon Brooks, Mel Brooks, Avery Brooks, Albert Brooks, Our Miss Brooks? I'm leaning towards Mr. Brooks, we need a good serial killer in our organization.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Phoenix and Memphis didn't talk.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So who will if finally be? Marshon Brooks, Dillon Brooks, Mel Brooks, Albert Brooks, Our Miss Brooks? I'm leaning towards Mr. Brooks, we need a good serial killer in our organization.

My guess is it will be this Brooks:

You must be registered for see images attach

:p

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave