Last undefeated team

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your Arizona cardinals.
I was wondering whether the Cardinals have ever been the last undefeated team before. Turns out it's happened several times, but only twice after week 4:

In 2014 they started 3-0, along with the Eagles & Bengals, before all three lost in week 4. (Cards with Logan Thomas lost 20-41 in Denver). The Cards eventually lost in the Wild Card game that year.

In 1974 they were 7-0 before losing 14-17 in Dallas. They eventually lost in the divisional round.

In 1966 they were 5-0-1 before losing 20-26 in Washington. They finished 8-5-1 and out of the playoffs.

In 1964 they were 3-0-1 along with the Browns, before losing 27-47 in Baltimore and missing the playoffs at 9-3-2.

In 1947 they were 3-0 before losing 7-27 in Los Angeles. The Cards won the NFL Championship that year!

In 1935 they were 2-0-1 before losing 13-17 at the Pittsburgh Pirates. They finished 6-4-2 and missed the playoffs.

Bottom line: in 33 out of 101 years, the last undefeated team (or one of the teams tied for that distinction) won the Championship. But the last time it happened was in 2006 (the Colts).

Interesting tidbit: every time the Cards' winning streak was broken, it was on the road.

...dave

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering whether the Cardinals have ever been the last undefeated team before. Turns out it's happened several times, but only twice after week 4:

In 2014 they started 3-0, along with the Eagles & Bengals, before all three lost in week 4. (Cards with Logan Thomas lost 20-41 in Denver). The Cards eventually lost in the Wild Card game that year.

In 1974 they were 7-0 before losing 14-17 in Dallas. They eventually lost in the divisional round.

In 1966 they were 5-0-1 before losing 20-26 in Washington. They finished 8-5-1 and out of the playoffs.

In 1964 they were 3-0-1 along with the Browns, before losing 27-47 in Baltimore and missing the playoffs at 9-3-2.

In 1947 they were 3-0 before losing 7-27 in Los Angeles. The Cards won the NFL Championship that year!

In 1935 they were 2-0-1 before losing 13-17 at the Pittsburgh Pirates. They finished 6-4-2 and missed the playoffs.

Bottom line: in 33 out of 101 years, the last undefeated team (or one of the teams tied for that distinction) won the Championship. But the last time it happened was in 2006 (the Colts).

Interesting tidbit: every time the Cardinals winning streak was broken, it was on the road.

...dave

Nerd

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not really worth its own thread, so I'll leave this here:

The Cardinals now, for only the 8th time and 16th week since Super Bowl I, are holders of the fictional "NFL Title Belt"!

...dave

Last edited:

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
In the last four years, the last unbeaten team in the NFC has come from the NFC West. In each of the four years it was a different team. Rams in 2018, Niners in 2019, Seahawks in 2020 and the Cards in 2021.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
yeah Im excited....
I grew up a raiders fan and they are still my afc team... if they won then both my teams would have been 4-0...if they lost then the Redbirds sit alone at the pinnacle of the nfl standings.... today was a cant lose day for me....

I did fail as a parent though...my oldest son is a niners fan..... happened when I moved him back to my hometown for high school, he got infected or something...but Im trying to work out a bet with him on sundays game.... just havent come up with a good bet yet...was gonna get him to shave his head if he loses... but he is in the military so he aint got much hair anyway....thought about having him get me a samurai sword while he is in japan... but the good ones are too expensive and I wouldnt even hang a cheap one on my wall...so...anybody have any ideas?

Jim Otis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
In my best Howard Cosell , DOWN GO'S THE RAI -DUZ ,,,,,,, DOWN GO'S THE RAI -DUZ !! And then there was only ONE . Yea I know , but Howard did both Boxing and Football !!!

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm shocked and excited all in one

I just have to temper my excitement because I'm still so damaged by all the past years

I have been kicked in the groin over and over by this team

So until the whistle blows on the Super Bowl win I stay leery

As always "Go Cardinals!"

RedRob

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Heady days for us Suns and Cards fans! Surreal…
Heady days for Cardinals fans. There are quite a few Big Red fans from the St. Louis days.

The Cardinal baseball team winning 17 games in a row, making it to the playoffs after a 2.8% chance in early September, PLUS AZ Cards being undefeated is a real joy.

Fun times.

Jim Otis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Heady days for Cardinals fans. There are quite a few Big Red fans from the St. Louis days.

The Cardinal baseball team winning 17 games in a row, making it to the playoffs after a 2.8% chance in early September, PLUS AZ Cards being undefeated is a real joy.

Fun times.
Yes I'm one of those St. Louis days Fan , we are looking better right now than we have ever looked , Good Things Happen To Those Who Wait , we have waited along time !

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Interesting tidbit: every time the Cards' winning streak was broken, it was on the road.

...dave

74 was the year I became a Cards fan I think us and Minnesota were the last 2 teams and we lasted longer .

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Fun times.
I despise the Dodgers… Would love to see Goldy and the rest of the Cards crew take down LA tomorrow night!
Go Cards!

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
In the last four years, the last unbeaten team in the NFC has come from the NFC West. In each of the four years it was a different team. Rams in 2018, Niners in 2019, Seahawks in 2020 and the Cards in 2021.
That’s some nutty ish.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson