Large File Sharing

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
I have a couple of full CD sized files I'd like to share (700MB+), but I don't want to post them on a newsgroup of on KaZaA.

Any suggestions on how to do this?

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
There are quite a few paid solutions. Xdrive was one that I have used before.

There is always FTP service. If there is a computer with the file space and a broadband internet of somekind. Usually home internet providers (cox cable, etc) frown(read forbid) on users running that stuff because it is a bandwidth hog. Highspeed DSL or a T1 connection is better for that stuff.

Do you just want someone to be able to download the file(s) once or a more permanent solution? Looking to go cheap / backdoor route or the more stable (paid) solution?

There are a few ways depending on what you are looking for.

OP
OP
Cardinals.Ken

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
I am only looking to share with people I know.

For instance, lets say I have a video capture of something Cardinals related that I want to make available to members of this board. I would like them to be able to access it, easily and safely.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I have shared large files directly from my laptop. I have IIS installed and just opened my firewall and gave them the password. They connect and download it. For a file that large, depending on the connection speed, it could take a while to complete the transfer.

Unless you your computer is on all the time or you have a machine dedicated for this purpose you may have to coordinate when they can connect. There are several FTP server softwares available if you have Win98/ME or XP Home (no IIS).

Having the connection speed is the biggest issue. Cox cable can be used but the upload speed is limited and standard port numbers are often blocked just to prevent people from doing this. A DSL connection usually has less restriction, even a dialup connection will work but it would probably take a day and a half to transfer the file size you are talking about.

Also keep in mind allowing access to you computer in this way opens it to various attacks. Keeping up with updates and configuring security settings is highly recommended. :thumbup:

Idealy a hosted webspace with sufficent storage is the the best solution if not the cheapest.

OP
OP
Cardinals.Ken

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
So would you say, in your professional opinion, that the easiest, and safest, way to distribute files this size would be to burn them on to a CD, then mail them?

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cardinals.Ken
So would you say, in your professional opinion, that the easiest, and safest, way to distribute files this size would be to burn them on to a CD, then mail them?

I would have to say yes. The upload speeds of Cox and other ISPs are way to stingy to move that much data. Only realy way is to be for a web host co (Still cut down your upload speeds) or pay about $400+ a month and get a T1 or Fractional T1 for you house.

OP
OP
Cardinals.Ken

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
Originally posted by SweetD
I would have to say yes. The upload speeds of Cox and other ISPs are way to stingy to move that much data. Only realy way is to be for a web host co (Still cut down your upload speeds) or pay about $400+ a month and get a T1 or Fractional T1 for you house.

That really sucks!

I didn't know wanting to share my pirate copy of "The Two Towers" would be so difficult!

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cardinals.Ken

Yes, I would say that is accurate. But so much more low tech. :D

Even with a 1M connection a 700M file would take about an hour and a half to transfer.