Landry Shamet traded to suns for Javon Carter and 29th pick

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
in addition to this, if we’re going to give a MAX contract to Ayton, as @Finito believes we should (as do I), we should expect his game to improve to the point where his ascension (and Booker and Bridges) should offset CP3’s play declining a bit where the team can still be playing at a high level because the young guys keep getting better.

or are we not supposed to expect Ayton and Bridges to get much better even though we’re likely going to pay them like a superstar and star?

its an old saying in sports you pay a guy for what he will do not for what he’s done. I don’t understand the comparison of course you expect guys in there early twenties to grow and get better

yes Sarver says he’s willing to go into the luxury tax saying it and doing it are two different things. Jones came out today and pretty much said we’re running it back. I think next year is our one year to really go for it. Next year is the year to swing for the fences if your counting on this level of play from Paul two years from now that’s stretching it. Forget about level of play if you think his body is going to hold up that’s stretching it. He’s not huge Lebron he’s a little guy.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pretty good got us to the finals didn’t it? Geez.

no he was great up until the finals were not talking about last year through. We’re talking about the kind of production your going to get 2 and 3 years from now

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s win now time. I care about this coming year.

also, the word is the next TV contract coming next year is going to be massive which means the cap is going to go up in a big way, which will make CP3’s big contract not as cost prohibitive as It looks like it will the next two years.

that’s also the argument for locking in Ayton and Bridges now at salaries that won’t be as outrageous if you wait until after the new TV contract comes out and would make MAX deals even bigger.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
also, the word is the next TV contract coming next year is going to be massive which means the cap is going to go up in a big way, which will make CP3’s big contract not as cost prohibitive as It looks like it will the next two years.

that’s also the argument for locking in Ayton and Bridges now at salaries that won’t be as outrageous if you wait until after the new TV contract comes out and would make MAX deals even bigger.

aren’t they going to do some betting thing to? I remember hearing something like this they were even talking about have kiosk inside the arena that would let you place bets in game.

OP
OP
Proximo

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
remember that when we pay a 37 year old 100 million dollars next week

I believe I have already said I am not sure that is a good idea. But he is 36 not 37.

To clarify, I would pay Payne 15 million a year if we can't resign Paul, but I would not pay him that to be our 3rd guard.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I believe I have already said I am not sure that is a good idea. But he is 36 not 37.

To clarify, I would pay Payne 15 million a year if we can't resign Paul, but I would not pay him that to be our 3rd guard.

I think that’s a lot for Payne

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think we're putting too much stock into the #29 pick, just debating if we got the best value from the pick. Which I don't think we did, admittedly by a small margin.

Also, there certainly is a little irony to be seen when one discards the #29 pick as useless over a player who was picked #26.

One more thing to add, Keldon Johnson started 67 games for the Spurs last year. He was drafted in 2019 at... you guessed it... #29.

This was a deep draft and there were some good players available that we could have taken at #29. But I'm not bent out of shape about it. I'm as bent out of shape as I was when we drafted Okobo over Graham, Brunson, or Melton.
Shamet is so much more of a sure thing than anyone we could have gotten at 29.

it's obviously really hard to stop thinking like a lottery team. We can only have 15 players in the roster. This is about finding the best player for a roster spot. Carter and 29 were not both going to make the roster this year.

OP
OP
Proximo

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Shamet is so much more of a sure thing than anyone we could have gotten at 29.

He also probably has a far lower ceiling than somebody who was available at 29. Figuring out who that is is of course extreemly difficult.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He also probably has a far lower ceiling than somebody who was available at 29. Figuring out who that is is of course extreemly difficult.

youre saying the 29th pick has a higher ceiling than Shamet? Am I interpreting that correctly?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
youre saying the 29th pick has a higher ceiling than Shamet? Am I interpreting that correctly?

It's a crap shoot, but among players who have picked #29 are Dennis Johnson, Eddie Johnson, Vinny Del Negro, Toni Kukoc, P.J. Brown, Nazr Mohammed, Josh Howard, Dejounte Murray and Keldon Johnson. And of course, for those who wanted Butler this year, Jimmy Butler went #30...

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
No way. My goodness people overvalue the draft. Shamet has a higher ceiling and a much much higher floor
The expectations for the 29th pick by some are absolute lunacy.

I mean...I get why some people were bent out of shape when the Suns traded back and got Cam Johnson (even though it worked out exactly how I thought it would) but this is sheer craziness to think a better player than Shamet was available.

The chances a better player than Shamet would be there are like 1:100.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So, perfect or nothing?

If we had a better option maybe we'd look at it but I don't think we do. CP is in decline and will likely decline even further. But he's still one of the top PGs in the game and I don't see that changing over the next year or two, barring injury. He's a risk but the way I see it we can either abandon our short term hopes or ride him till he drops.
Exactly. Suns ain’t looking for Paul to get better. Likely aren’t even hoping for him to play at this past seasons level. Paul could decline a little and the suns improve overall if book, Ayton, Bridges, cam, cam, stix all improve a bit plus shamet’s addition and the hopeful addition of a legit backup big. Book Ayton cam cam Bridges are all young enough (really shamet too) that some forward progress should be expected of all of them. If they all improve, even only incrementally, in the aggregate that’s a lot of improvement. Likely more than enough to compensate for some expected slippage from Paul.

and as you state, there’s no superior replacement for Paul.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
in addition to this, if we’re going to give a MAX contract to Ayton, as @Finito believes we should (as do I), we should expect his game to improve to the point where his ascension (and Booker and Bridges) should offset CP3’s play declining a bit where the team can still be playing at a high level because the young guys keep getting better.

or are we not supposed to expect Ayton and Bridges to get much better even though we’re likely going to pay them like a superstar and star?
Borg

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Right bc his ceiling is already far higher than the vast majority of those available at 29.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Sad to see Carter go. Hope he sticks in the league. I thought he could help us in the playoffs like he did the regular season with a boost of energy, bring the ball up, hard defense and good enough three point shooting. I guess Cam Payne overlaps quite a bit so. Good luck, Javon!

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sad to see Carter go. Hope he sticks in the league. I thought he could help us in the playoffs like he did the regular season with a boost of energy, bring the ball up, hard defense and good enough three point shooting. I guess Cam Payne overlaps quite a bit so. Good luck, Javon!

This sums up how I feel. Ill miss Carter but Payne replaced him as a PG so he became an undersized SG who didn't offer much offensively. Shamet isn't undersized and will be able to play with Payne without giving up a bunch of size. He's not the defender Carter is but he's a decent enough defender that he won't be a liability.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am saying somebody in this draft who was drafted after 29 is very likely better than shamet yes.

Out the door? Unlikely. But eventually? Quite likely. But the odds are very much against being the team selecting a player 29 or later that is the equal or better than Landry. And the difference between that person's ceiling and Shamet's current level is not likely to be enough to justify not taking the player that helps us the most today.

I still want McBride but he's not a sure thing, Shamet is.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't see the argument that anyone at #29 would help more next season than Shamet. Even if Shamet's numbers are the same as last year, that's likely to surpass more than half of the 1st round picks next season in almost every category you look at for a combo guard.

In 2-3 years will there be people taken #29 or later that are better than Shamet? Almost definitely but that doesn't mean that's who the Suns would have selected or they would have developed that way here. There are a lot of variables at play.

The move was made to make us stronger now, not in 2-3 years. We can deal with 2-3 years later, our window is only open a short time with Paul.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can't see the argument that anyone at #29 would help more next season than Shamet. Even if Shamet's numbers are the same as last year, that's likely to surpass more than half of the 1st round picks next season in almost every category you look at for a combo guard.

In 2-3 years will there be people taken #29 or later that are better than Shamet? Almost definitely but that doesn't mean that's who the Suns would have selected or they would have developed that way here. There are a lot of variables at play.

The move was made to make us stronger now, not in 2-3 years. We can deal with 2-3 years later, our window is only open a short time with Paul.
This--x100