Landry Shamet traded to suns for Javon Carter and 29th pick

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I "think" I posted "statistics" in this thread showing Galloway and Shamet to be very similar players.
Except that they favored shamet in shooting and say nothing about how they actually play. Shamet is bigger and a better ball handler and a better defender from the eye test. Stats are great for comparison if youve never watched the players play.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He just turned 36 in May and just finished 5th in MVP voting, was an All-Star, 2nd Team All-NBA, and led this team to the NBA Finals. He wasn't a backup playing 20 minutes a game. But sure, that's the same as paying a backup PG starter money.

yes or no just yes or no.

are Chris Paul’s best days ahead of him?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The same guy who was splitting minutes with Mike James? We’ll see.
Was he splitting time with Mike James in April? If so, sign me up again.

TOR - 10 points / 4 assists
NO - 18 points / 8 assists
MIA - 30 points / 3 assists
CHA - 20 points / 1 assist
PHI - 17 points / 3 assists
MIN - 19 points / 5 assists
CHI - 13 points / 1 assist
CHA - 17 points / 2 assists

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What's wrong with that? Paying a guy $3.8 mil/season to hand out water bottles is too much, especially if we can reallocate that money to a position of need.

You saw precisely what was wrong with that from 2011 to 2016 when we didn't have any draft picks that we had developed from 2005-2010.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Lets be real here - If it takes 15 million a year to sign Cam Payne do you think the suns should do it?

I don't. I know that would hurt the team badly, but you can't do really stupid contracts just because we were in the finals.

The Suns can't do it for $15 million. They don't have the cap space. For $10 million, they have to re-sign him. With CP3's advancing age and injury issues, the back-up point guard position on this roster is as important as the starters, so the Suns absolutely need someone capable at that position. If Payne doesn't return, the Suns will have to use the MLE to fill that vital role, which leaves no means to fill the gaping holes in the front court.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Was he splitting time with Mike James in April? If so, sign me up again.

TOR - 10 points / 4 assists
NO - 18 points / 8 assists
MIA - 30 points / 3 assists
CHA - 20 points / 1 assist
PHI - 17 points / 3 assists
MIN - 19 points / 5 assists
CHI - 13 points / 1 assist
CHA - 17 points / 2 assists

going on Reddit and there message boards there saying he was the best guy off that bench by the end of the year.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow still can’t believe people are trying to argue

1. this is not a good trade
2. The 29th pick was a contributor
3. Carter is better than Shamet

cmon this is a good trade overall for a team that needs a shooter with a bit of length. He’s great at popping off coming off those screens, a dynamic we didn’t have.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually I was just looking at the playoffs and both averaged less minutes than Bruce Brown.

also saw his scoring cut in half in the playoffs. wasn't crazy about that when I saw it, but still think he's a slight upgrade to Carter and might actually play with regularity as opposed to popping in and out of the rotation, which will give Book a little more rest in the regular season.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
also saw his scoring cut in half in the playoffs. wasn't crazy about that when I saw it, but still think he's a slight upgrade to Carter and might actually play with regularity as opposed to popping in and out of the rotation, which will give Book a little more rest in the regular season.

Did he get hurt in game 7 vs Milwaukee? 7 minutes no points/assists…

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
I'm amazed at how much stock people are putting into a #29 draft pick.
I don't think we're putting too much stock into the #29 pick, just debating if we got the best value from the pick. Which I don't think we did, admittedly by a small margin.

Also, there certainly is a little irony to be seen when one discards the #29 pick as useless over a player who was picked #26.

One more thing to add, Keldon Johnson started 67 games for the Spurs last year. He was drafted in 2019 at... you guessed it... #29.

This was a deep draft and there were some good players available that we could have taken at #29. But I'm not bent out of shape about it. I'm as bent out of shape as I was when we drafted Okobo over Graham, Brunson, or Melton.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes. You're not going to get "his best" but you're going to get "pretty good" for his age.

so your good with “pretty good” cause to me that ain’t winning a championship and if he’s still playing at that level two years from now I’ll be shocked

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so your good with “pretty good” cause to me that ain’t winning a championship and if he’s still playing at that level two years from now I’ll be shocked
So, perfect or nothing?

If we had a better option maybe we'd look at it but I don't think we do. CP is in decline and will likely decline even further. But he's still one of the top PGs in the game and I don't see that changing over the next year or two, barring injury. He's a risk but the way I see it we can either abandon our short term hopes or ride him till he drops.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, perfect or nothing?

If we had a better option maybe we'd look at it but I don't think we do. CP is in decline and will likely decline even further. But he's still one of the top PGs in the game and I don't see that changing over the next year or two, barring injury. He's a risk but the way I see it we can either abandon our short term hopes or ride him till he drops.

in addition to this, if we’re going to give a MAX contract to Ayton, as @Finito believes we should (as do I), we should expect his game to improve to the point where his ascension (and Booker and Bridges) should offset CP3’s play declining a bit where the team can still be playing at a high level because the young guys keep getting better.

or are we not supposed to expect Ayton and Bridges to get much better even though we’re likely going to pay them like a superstar and star?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose