Landry Shamet traded to suns for Javon Carter and 29th pick

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think Payne is a very important re-sign for us but he can ask for more than we can actually pay so it's out of our hands. We have to hope that "our max" and the draw of playing for Monty and this organization are enough to keep him from looking elsewhere too aggressively. But I think we all know, if someone offers him the starter PG spot and/or close to the money that comes with it, we're going to lose him.

They were talking about Sarver not even being willing to pay Payne the $10 million we can unless CP3 agrees to take a pay cut to cover it.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
If Monty didn't want Carter, they wouldn't have re-signed him to the extension after playing a year for Monty.
You seriously think Monty didn't sign off on this?

The wailing and gnashing of teeth over Carter is odd. There were plenty of times in the playoffs where we desperately needed PG minutes, and Carter didn't get any time.

That tells you all you need to know about how they feel about Carter.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And yet he sacrificed competitiveness for money in the Nash era when the team was on the cusp of a championship, and there are those, including some on this board, suggesting that this very trade for Shamet was motivated by money/cost savings.

THAT is why I am concerned about this particular bit of history repeating itself.

I've never said that he hasn't hurt this franchise with some of his cost cutting decisions. He has. But that was a different era, financially. The huge TV contract solved a lot of his financial problems. Unless Covid forces the league into difficult financial straits, I expect him to continue to try and build a winner. It makes him richer.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You "think" the have players just as good as Shamet, but the statistics don't back up what you "think".

Shamet has a lethal skill (3 point shooting) and he shoots at a fairly good volume. None of the other guards offer what he does.

And the Suns gave up a fringe player AND a fringe pick for a legit rotation guy.
I "think" I posted "statistics" in this thread showing Galloway and Shamet to be very similar players.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don't think its a bad trade, just an unnecessary one. I just think the Suns already had guys that were just as good as Shamet so it seemed kind of pointless. I'm disappointed that they still don't have a backup center or a power forward.
Why do you think that? He played 17mpg in the playoffs, while the comparable players played zero. If you think Monty isn't going to use Shamet as a backup to DBook, then I think you are 100% wrong. Monty wasn't confident in anyone being a backup to Book, and now we have someone.

And you know that stats don't tell the whole story.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Monty didn't want Carter, they wouldn't have re-signed him to the extension after playing a year for Monty.

I don't dispute this but somewhere along the line, Carter fell out of favor.

AzCards777

Rookie
Reaction score
I don't think its a bad trade, just an unnecessary one. I just think the Suns already had guys that were just as good as Shamet so it seemed kind of pointless. I'm disappointed that they still don't have a backup center or a power forward.
I see the necessity. Galloway is more than likely not resigning. Cameran Payne might be too expensive to resign, and Carter was just shipped out ... leaving Moore as the only gaurd and even he is a FA I believe.
Shamet can not only play the back up point if Payne leaves but he can also play back up SG if Payne stays and is someone who can create. Carter, & Galloway were not able to create for themselves let alone others. Good pick up in my opinion.
I do agree though, PF is a position of need.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree. Shamet immediately adds a another 3 point threat to the team that can handle the ball better than either Galloway or Carter even though that likely won't be his primary role. Neither of those guys could put up the volume Shamet does with the efficiency he does. Neither of those guys could get off the bench much so they were not contributing anything.

The goal is to improve the team. He improves our 3 point shooting for sure. It's possible he rides the bench all season. I doubt it. You can't take a guy that hits as many threes as he does and as efficiently as he does and not find playing time IMO. That takes pressure off of Paul and Book. Something Carter and Galloway couldn't do. This was a good trade worth the risk. If it doesn't work out? You lost nothing.

P.S. They still need a FC player 100%. The team needs to get that done.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You seriously think Monty didn't sign off on this?

The wailing and gnashing of teeth over Carter is odd. There were plenty of times in the playoffs where we desperately needed PG minutes, and Carter didn't get any time.

That tells you all you need to know about how they feel about Carter.

You missed my point. Monty wanted Carter originally but wasn't hesitant to glue him to the bench when he didn't produce the way Monty wanted. Why would it be any different with Shamet?

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Why do you think that? He played 17mpg in the playoffs, while the comparable players played zero. If you think Monty isn't going to use Shamet as a backup to DBook, then I think you are 100% wrong. Monty wasn't confident in anyone being a backup to Book, and now we have someone.

And you know that stats don't tell the whole story.
He got playoff minutes on a team with an injured all-star backcourt. I don't think that is too meaningful. Maybe his better than Galloway, but I'd say the improvement is marginal.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You missed my point. Monty wanted Carter originally but wasn't hesitant to glue him to the bench when he didn't produce the way Monty wanted. Why would it be any different with Shamet?
Why are you assuming Shamet won't produce? Why are you assuming it would be the same?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They were talking about Sarver not even being willing to pay Payne the $10 million we can unless CP3 agrees to take a pay cut to cover it.
Ron Wolfley is the most clueless sports talk show host in the Valley. He's barely passable for football anymore, and there are 100+ posters on here that could speak better on the Suns than him. Doug is a simpering sideshow.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I've never said that he hasn't hurt this franchise with some of his cost cutting decisions. He has. But that was a different era, financially. The huge TV contract solved a lot of his financial problems. Unless Covid forces the league into difficult financial straits, I expect him to continue to try and build a winner. It makes him richer.

The long term investment would have made Sarver richer in the Nash era as well, but Sarver was notoriously shortsighted with his approach. The era might be different, but that won't matter unless Sarver has really changed, and now I am no longer so sure he has...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check out the videos I posted on him. His shot is really smooth.

Yes. I've watched quite a bit of Shamet and seen him play. I hope he is not a rental and the Suns plan to keep him beyond this coming season.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
He got playoff minutes on a team with an injured all-star backcourt. I don't think that is too meaningful. Maybe his better than Galloway, but I'd say the improvement is marginal.
So? You have zero evidence that he would suddenly get zero minutes if Harden and Kyrie were healthy.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How so? You still have to do something with the opportunities. It's the NBA. He put up really efficient numbers from the 3 and in volumes that rivals all but 2 players on the Suns. I would say that is more than marginal improvement over two guys who couldn't get off the bench. I don't think anybody is expecting him to be the 6 man of the year off our bench.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because Carter produced better than Shamet on the court. The numbers bear that out, as does the defense.
No that doesn't bare out at all. Carter would not put the volume or efficiency in threes. Shamet delivered in that area when giving playing time. Carter delivered zero when given playing time. So he sat.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I disagree. Shamet immediately adds a another 3 point threat to the team that can handle the ball better than either Galloway or Carter even though that likely won't be his primary role. Neither of those guys could put up the volume Shamet does with the efficiency he does. Neither of those guys could get off the bench much so they were not contributing anything.

The goal is to improve the team. He improves our 3 point shooting for sure. It's possible he rides the bench all season. I doubt it. You can't take a guy that hits as many threes as he does and as efficiently as he does and not find playing time IMO. That takes pressure off of Paul and Book. Something Carter and Galloway couldn't do. This was a good trade worth the risk. If it doesn't work out? You lost nothing.

P.S. They still need a FC player 100%. The team needs to get that done.
You're right, he's a backup guard who is replacing last year's back up guards. I don't that makes the team any better.

Shamet's 3pt percentage has been declining since he entered the NBA and his advanced stats are not very good.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I see the necessity. Galloway is more than likely not resigning. Cameran Payne might be too expensive to resign, and Carter was just shipped out ... leaving Moore as the only gaurd and even he is a FA I believe.
Shamet can not only play the back up point if Payne leaves but he can also play back up SG if Payne stays and is someone who can create. Carter, & Galloway were not able to create for themselves let alone others. Good pick up in my opinion.
I do agree though, PF is a position of need.

If Shamet was brought in to replace Payne, then consider our championship window slammed shut. Especially with CP3's advancing age, this team needs a back-up point guard who is a heck of a lot better than Shamet.

Meanwhile, such a move would conjure up horrific memories of replacing Joe Johnson with Raja Bell. (Bell was okay in his own right but was nowhere near an adequate substitute for Johnson.)

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're right, he's a backup guard who is replacing last year's back up guards. I don't that makes the team any better.

Shamet's 3pt percentage has been declining since he entered the NBA and his advanced stats are not very good.
The Suns couldn't depend on our back up guards at all so Booker played a TON of minutes. They had a hard time keeping Booker/Paul off the court because of it. Also, if his declining numbers that he has now are any indication? I will take them. He would be the 3rd best on the team. LOL.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Suns couldn't depend on our back up guards at all so Booker played a TON of minutes. They had a hard time keeping Booker/Paul off the court because of it. Also, if his declining numbers that he has now are any indication? I will take them. He would be the 3rd best on the team. LOL.

And yet Carter's numbers and defense were superior...

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
His 3pt% would be the 7th best on last season's team.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose