Landry Shamet traded to suns for Javon Carter and 29th pick

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't like this trade.

RkPlayerFromToGMPPERTS%3PArFTrORB%DRB%TRB%AST%STL%BLK%TOV%USG% OWSDWSWSWS/48 OBPMDBPMBPMVORP
1Langston Galloway20152021445973311.6.523.528.1542.410.16.211.41.60.57.017.17.96.814.6.072-1.0-0.4-1.41.5
2Landry Shamet20192021193465710.0.589.730.1760.96.84.09.10.90.58.215.05.42.78.0.083-1.0-1.1-2.00.0

RkPlayerFromToGGSMPFGFGAFG%3P3PA3P%2P2PA2P%eFG%FTFTAFT%ORBDRBTRBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTS
1Langston Galloway201520214456221.92.97.3.3981.43.9.3701.53.5.430.4960.91.1.8160.52.02.41.60.70.10.61.68.2
2Landry Shamet201920211936924.13.07.3.4162.15.3.3970.92.0.467.5611.11.3.8340.21.61.81.60.50.20.72.09.2

And my guess is that if you put Carter's numbers up, they will be superior to both...which brings me back to this:

If Galloway and Carter weren't good enough for Monty to play down the stretch, what in the world makes anyone think Shamet will be?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ultimately this is why it easier to accept the trade for Shamet. Monty trusts him and will play him.

I'm not exactly sure why Carter fell out of favor but he did.

Will Monty still trust him when he replicates what Galloway did? If so, why?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will Monty still trust him when he replicates what Galloway did? If so, why?

Monty coached Shamet in Philadelphia so he is familiar with him as a player and person. If he wanted him I suspect he will play him much like Payne.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And my guess is that if you put Carter's numbers up, they will be superior to both...which brings me back to this:

If Galloway and Carter weren't good enough for Monty to play down the stretch, what in the world makes anyone think Shamet will be?
He may not be. However, for starters Shamet is the more explosive offense player and his numbers would have put him as the 3rd best 3 point shooter on the team. The Suns in multiple games went cold from three and he can pass.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The last player Monty requested (presumably) worked out pretty well, so it will be interesting if the trend continues.

We got Cam Payne off the scrap heap for nothing while we were a lottery team, as opposed to giving up a first round pick and our only tradable salary spot coming off an appearance in the NBA finals. Big difference in terms of risk.

If Monty wanted to bring in Shamet as a reclamation project by signing him as a street free agent for next to nothing, I would be all for it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Are we so spoiled that we’re whining over trading the #29 pick and a DNP-CD player for a solid rotation guard? Size will be addressed in FA. Confident of that. My only concern is the development of Stix.
Good post. Agree with all of it. Shamet allows us to sit book and Paul at the same time, thus keeping them in the court at the same time, which maximizes their effectiveness. He’s also insurance for a book injury or a stint when book is in foul trouble (like game 4).

there are enough defensive bigs available in FA this year that I’m confident we’ll walk away with one. And it’s a big if, but stix can give us any minutes this year it will be a big plus.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We got Cam Payne off the scrap heap for nothing while we were a lottery team, as opposed to giving up a first round pick and our only tradable salary spot coming off an appearance in the NBA finals. Big difference in terms of risk.

If Monty wanted to bring in Shamet as a reclamation project by signing him as a street free agent for next to nothing, I would be all for it.
The 29th pick is much closer to the scrap heap than it is to being a valued first round pick. Your idea of "big difference" is sadly laughable. It's a nothing difference, neither the pick nor the tradable salary slot are all that important.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He may not be. However, for starters Shamet is the more explosive offense player and his numbers would have put him as the 3rd best 3 point shooter on the team. The Suns in multiple games went cold from three and he can pass.

Not just that but he takes a decent number of 3 pointers too in addition to being decently efficient. You need your perimeter players to make their 3s but they need to be willing to take them too.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's probably a rerun of some other posts but Landry Shamet's three point shooting is impressive.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Good post. Agree with all of it. Shamet allows us to sit book and Paul at the same time, thus keeping them in the court at the same time, which maximizes their effectiveness. He’s also insurance for a book injury or a stint when book is in foul trouble (like game 4).

there are enough defensive bigs available in FA this year that I’m confident we’ll walk away with one. And it’s a big if, but stix can give us any minutes this year it will be a big plus.

I don't think its a bad trade, just an unnecessary one. I just think the Suns already had guys that were just as good as Shamet so it seemed kind of pointless. I'm disappointed that they still don't have a backup center or a power forward.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That's just silly. Yes Sarver did say he knew they'd have to pay luxury tax to compete for a championship and they were willing to do it, he didn't say he was going to just throw money away without weighing the benefits against the cost. Carter isn't going to be the difference for us in winning anything, Shamet probably isn't either but we'll see.

Well, they were talking on Doug and Wolf this morning about Sarver being prepared to sacrifice re-signing Cam Payne for the cost savings and expressly trying to distinguish it from the Joe Johnson situation solely based on the role each player had with the team.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don't think its a bad trade, just an unnecessary one. I just think the Suns already had guys that were just as good as Shamet so it seemed kind of pointless. I'm disappointed that they still don't have a backup center or a power forward.
You "think" the have players just as good as Shamet, but the statistics don't back up what you "think".

Shamet has a lethal skill (3 point shooting) and he shoots at a fairly good volume. None of the other guards offer what he does.

And the Suns gave up a fringe player AND a fringe pick for a legit rotation guy.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, they were talking on Doug and Wolf this morning about Sarver being prepared to sacrifice re-signing Cam Payne for the cost savings and expressly trying to distinguish it from the Joe Johnson situation solely based on the role each player had with the team.
So?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Well yes, but I'm not sure how much Monty was involved in acquiring those players. Plus Monty didn't seem to want to play them. We know he wanted Shamet.

If Monty didn't want Carter, they wouldn't have re-signed him to the extension after playing a year for Monty.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah I heard the same segment and it was just speculation.

Maybe the Suns can't resign Payne, we don't know what his number is yet. He's a good rotation player, but he won't break this team if he isn't resigned.

It was speculation based on reporting they had from sources within the organization.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're not at all concerned with the penny-pinching from the Nash era rearing its ugly head again?

I'll be concerned if it actually happens. I'm not concerned knowing that two of the most clueless mic'd up sports mouthpieces are prattling on about it.

Sarver said clearly that he KNEW that they'd be in luxury tax territory, that it was the cost of pursuing a championship and he was committed. AFAIC, until we see otherwise, that's all we have to go on. Sarver has paid luxury tax 3 times before and it's not like he's lied about this in the past.

As long as we are competing and on an upward trajectory, I expect him to spend (carefully perhaps, but he will spend). If we flatline and start to look like a borderline team (or worse) than I'm sure he'll go right back to his cheaper days.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's probably a rerun of some other posts but Landry Shamet's three point shooting is impressive.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Check out the videos I posted on him. His shot is really smooth.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'll be concerned if it actually happens. I'm not concerned knowing that two of the most clueless mic'd up sports mouthpieces are prattling on about it.

Sarver said clearly that he KNEW that they'd be in luxury tax territory, that it was the cost of pursuing a championship and he was committed. AFAIC, until we see otherwise, that's all we have to go on. Sarver has paid luxury tax 3 times before and it's not like he's lied about this in the past.

As long as we are competing and on an upward trajectory, I expect him to spend (carefully perhaps, but he will spend). If we flatline and start to look like a borderline team (or worse) than I'm sure he'll go right back to his cheaper days.

And yet he sacrificed competitiveness for money in the Nash era when the team was on the cusp of a championship, and there are those, including some on this board, suggesting that this very trade for Shamet was motivated by money/cost savings.

THAT is why I am concerned about this particular bit of history repeating itself.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I heard the same segment and it was just speculation.

Maybe the Suns can't resign Payne, we don't know what his number is yet. He's a good rotation player, but he won't break this team if he isn't resigned.
I think Payne is a very important re-sign for us but he can ask for more than we can actually pay so it's out of our hands. We have to hope that "our max" and the draw of playing for Monty and this organization are enough to keep him from looking elsewhere too aggressively. But I think we all know, if someone offers him the starter PG spot and/or close to the money that comes with it, we're going to lose him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose