Landry Shamet traded to suns for Javon Carter and 29th pick

AZ Shocker

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Cool! Of course I like this trade! See my name. Lol. I believe he will be a better player with a higher scoring avg. for the Suns than any of his previous teams. Monty is gonna love him. And so will Book and CP3.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please don't go there. I still have PTSD from the Suns selling away their picks in the Nash era in the name of "money flexibility in the future". It was a primary reason for the awful futility in the first half of the 2010s.
That is not this.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last player we got for that was Etwaun Moore. I wouldn't expect much from it.

No, Moore was signed for the league minimum. We still have the Bi-Annual exception. If we signed Moore with that then we wouldn't have it now.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I’ll see your Alex Len and raise you a Dragan Bender

I'll see your Dragan Bender and raise you trading away Bogdan Bogdanovic to move up to draft Marquese Chriss instead of Domantas Sabonis.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That is not this.

Perhaps not, but after that debacle, I don't want to read or hear "money flexibility for the future".

Our window is now. The team's moves need to be about winning a championship, not about money, lest that awful history repeat itself.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Curious to know the board's take on this trade if McBride, Butler and/or Dosunmu end up being available at 29.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Curious to know the board's take on this trade if McBride, Butler and/or Dosunmu end up being available at 29.
Butler makes it close, I really wanted Murphy and would of been upset if he was there. I like Shamet vastly more than McBride and Dosunmu.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanted Miles McBride or Tre Mann if they were there at #29.

There were some other players that could have helped.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps not, but after that debacle, I don't want to read or hear "money flexibility for the future".

Our window is now. The team's moves need to be about winning a championship, not about money, lest that awful history repeat itself.
That's how all teams work. They all plan for future flexibility in the future. As long as Sarver isn't fire selling the team or getting rid of picks simple because he doesn't want to pay I don't care.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So, it turns out the Suns could have had their choice of Butler, McBride OR Dosunmu (or Cooper, to boot) at 29. Ouch.

This is now the second consecutive draft James Jones has passed on a point guard of the future, and we already don't have a draft pick next season (unless CP3 walks and we don't replace him effectively).

Please tell me we aren't going to have to endure another Isaiah Canaan/Shaq Harrison debacle once CP3 is gone.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So, it turns out the Suns could have had their choice of Butler, McBride OR Dosunmu (or Cooper, to boot) at 29. Ouch.

This is now the second consecutive draft James Jones has passed on a point guard of the future, and we already don't have a draft pick next season (unless CP3 walks and we don't replace him effectively).

Please tell me we aren't going to have to endure another Isaiah Canaan/Shaq Harrison debacle once CP3 is gone.
I really like Butler at that spot....can play both guard spots and a secondary ball handler. Dang wish we could’ve stayed put.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

I don’t think any of them are PGOTF but I would’ve taken Jared Butler for the next few years on a cheap rookie deal over Carter or one year of Shamet.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’d be really disappointed if this was our only trade this offseason

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score

If the Suns really felt like one of those players could be our pgof they could easily get into the second round to draft one.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm not sure who is left to trade... Jalen Smith?

Not worth anything right now after he showed he couldn't even make it in the G-League. Only other non-core salary is Saric, who is even less tradable given that he is out for the season and has another year on his deal after that.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns really felt like one of those players could be our pgof they could easily get into the second round to draft one.

The Suns really don't have anything to use. If they buy a pick it costs them the money they want to keep for free agency plus Ayton and Bridges are up for extensions.

Landry Shamet is likely a rental.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I'm not sure who is left to trade... Jalen Smith?

He doesn’t have any value right now. He was a reach at the time and sucked in the G-League. This is a big year for him coming up because the Suns have to decide on his team option next summer.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He doesn’t have any value right now. He was a reach at the time and sucked in the G-League. This is a big year for him coming up because the Suns have to decide on his team option next summer.

I agree. The Suns don't have many options and keep their core. Carter and Smith probably have negative trade value.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Suns really don't have anything to use. If they buy a pick it costs them the money they want to keep for free agency plus Ayton and Bridges are up for extensions.

Landry Shamet is likely a rental.

What money for free agency? Either way, they only have the MLE, Bi-Annual Exception and minimum slots available to fill 5 roster spots, assuming both CP3 and Payne return.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What money for free agency? Either way, they only have the MLE, Bi-Annual Exception and minimum slots available to fill 5 roster spots, assuming both CP3 and Payne return.

I'm thinking Paul is going to spread out his salary over years if the Suns keep him. Hopefully enough to keep Payne.