Landry Shamet traded to suns for Javon Carter and 29th pick

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I agree. The Suns don't have many options and keep their core. Carter and Smith probably have negative trade value.

I don't think Carter had negative trade value, though James Jones sure has acted like he did.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I agree. The Suns don't have many options and keep their core. Carter and Smith probably have negative trade value.

Carter makes less than 3% of the salary cap and isn’t a terrible player or anything.

I hope Smith can give us productive minutes after having a front row view to our special run. I’m willing to give him a pass for his rookie season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The western conference trophy

It would have been something.

I guess James Jones will be talking to the media after the draft. They will be asking him about the trade for Shamet which he can't talk about.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Carter makes less than 3% of the salary cap and isn’t a terrible player or anything.

I hope Smith can give us productive minutes after having a front row view to our special run. I’m willing to give him a pass for his rookie season.

I like what I saw of Jalen Smith in college but he should not have been the 10th pick in the draft. It's not his fault where he was selected. I will be rooting for him to do well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Knicks drafted Miles McBride at #36.

From NBC Sports:

No. 36 New York Knicks: Miles McBride, 6’2″ point guard, West Virginia. The Thunder made the pick but it is headed to the Knicks via a trade. He has NBA quickness and athleticism, shot 41.4% from 3 last season, can knock shots down off the catch or the bounce, and he’s a quality on-ball defender who moves his feet well, and he’s got a 6’8″ wingspan to help make up the difference. He also hit tough shots with the Mountaineers, generally a good sign at the next level. He has the potential to be a quality guard off the bench — and maybe more — in the NBA.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Sarver has said the Suns are willing to pay luxury tax.

Which is why the money savings isn't worth anything. We don't have the cap space to sign anyone decent, and we still have to fill out the roster, including with at least 2 big men. Under these circumstances, renting Shamet for a year is making less and less sense to me.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Knicks drafted Miles McBride at #36.

From NBC Sports:

No. 36 New York Knicks: Miles McBride, 6’2″ point guard, West Virginia. The Thunder made the pick but it is headed to the Knicks via a trade. He has NBA quickness and athleticism, shot 41.4% from 3 last season, can knock shots down off the catch or the bounce, and he’s a quality on-ball defender who moves his feet well, and he’s got a 6’8″ wingspan to help make up the difference. He also hit tough shots with the Mountaineers, generally a good sign at the next level. He has the potential to be a quality guard off the bench — and maybe more — in the NBA.

How is Shamet any better than this, even if McBride doesn't improve or develop at all?

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
How is Shamet any better than this, even if McBride doesn't improve or develop at all?
If you don’t understand why a player who averaged 23 minutes a game in the playoffs for a team in the conference finals is better than a player taken in the 2nd round of the draft then I don’t know what to tell you.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You were one of the most vocal people discounting the idea of adding a player who could help at #29 and now you're mad we added a rotation player using that pick? Quit being such a downer. Its ridiculous how you flip flop like this.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Go look back at past drafts. Plenty of great college players do nothing in the NBA.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
James Jones talking about the draft and finding a player that can contribute in a roundabout way.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Its pretty much a lateral.
To Jevon Watch your top knot. At least you went to a contender.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure what this means in regard to the trade for Landry Shamet. Perhaps a physical?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
No there is no guarentee, odds are the pick would never play a meaningful minute. But after 3 years of Shamet not seemingly improving at all, and him being a below average player - how exactly is that a huge win?

If the Nets thought Shamet would improve, I don't see them getting rid of him - ditto for the Clippers, because like a lot of people are saying here he is young still and relatively cheap.

Make no mistake, Nets made this deal because they value the pick more than Shamet.

Suns are not a bottom-feeder team anymore. They are the Western Conference champions. They won two games in the NBA finals. They don't need Shamet to improve. If he does- great, but it is not necessary. Their top seven rotation is set right now. It will be top eight rotation once a big man is brought it. Suns are looking to fill out ninth, tenth, etc rotation spots. This is not a Booker and a bunch of scrubs team anymore. Shamet saves them money and gets into the rotation as the ninth player while replacing a player who was not in the rotation, a rookie who would sit on the bench, and eliminates another non-rotation player (Galloway, presumably), thus clearing two rosters spots. This is exactly the type of a player they needed.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
No but there is a balance. Going all veterans is no better than all rookies in the long run.
This is not a long-run situation. Suns are competing NOW. If he had a top-five pick, I am sure he would have used it. 29th pick is statistically useless. You can't develop borderline NBA talent when you are competing for a championship. Suns entire core outside of CP3 and Crowder are 25 and younger. They need veterans far more than they need rookies.

OP
OP
Proximo

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’d be really disappointed if this was our only trade this offseason
Who else do they have to trade?

Nobody is taking Dario.

You want to trade Crowder or something?

OP
OP
Proximo

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
James Jones talking about the draft and finding a player that can contribute in a roundabout way.

See, he is scared to make a pick.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson