Landry Shamet traded to suns for Javon Carter and 29th pick

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Nets won this deal but the Suns improved the role of Carter/Moore. Makes us better and I expect an important MLE addition to the front court.

Yeah. I think the Nets won the trade but the Suns got a player they liked better than Carter but gave up the 29th pick to do so.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Noel is a must. He would be a perfect fit.

But I feel we need 2 bigs, not just Noel.

I would love to have 2 more bigs, and don't disagree about having more bigs, especially with Dario out for the year, but I think that's a luxury we won't be able to afford this off-season unless we get one on the cheap.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't believe this isn't a consensus good move.

Carter wasn't even getting regular season minutes, and the Suns would be LUCKY to get a player as good as Shamet with #29. Crazy.

remember me and Ouchie loving this trade (and pretty much everything else the Suns have done in the last two seasons) before painting us with the "always **** on every move" brush you're so quick to do with the Cards.

when our teams make moves that make sense and are good, Ouchie and I are usually the first to applaud them.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns came out ahead in this trade without a doubt IMO in terms of trying to win now. Carter wasn't getting off the bench, the #29 wasn't either and you would be lucky if that player even stuck on the team at all. This gives the Suns a potential contributor now.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never said I hated it.

What I hate is that James Jones hates rookies. That will eventually screw this team.

The only scout in the Suns personnel directory is an advanced scout for NBA scouting and of course they sold their G-League team.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
We can buy a pick in the 2nd round and get a similar player (or the same) that we would of gotten at #29, so this is pretty much a trade of a playoff non rotation player for a playoff rotation player. This is a very good trade.

OP
OP
Proximo

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns came out ahead in this trade without a doubt IMO in terms of trying to win now. Carter wasn't getting off the bench, the #29 wasn't either and you would be lucky if that player even stuck on the team at all. This gives the Suns a potential contributor now.

I understand a rookie would likely not see much time in year 1. But if you want to get good players and potential all stars, you pretty much have to draft them - especially when you have 0 cap room for the next 5 years.

I totally get for next year Shamet is probably a good deal. But you can't keep just trading all your draft picks and expect to remain a good team in the long run.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I understand a rookie would likely not see much time in year 1. But if you want to get good players and potential all stars, you pretty much have to draft them - especially when you have 0 cap room for the next 5 years.

I totally get for next year Shamet is probably a good deal. But you can't keep just trading all your draft picks and expect to remain a good team in the long run.
You're too used to getting a lottery pick for the last 11 years. The #29 isn't worth that much, and it's 3.5 million guaranteed money.

OP
OP
Proximo

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You're too used to getting a lottery pick for the last 11 years. The #29 isn't worth that much, and it's 3.5 million guaranteed money.

No, it's not that. Look I get it that there is like a 5% chance the #29 pick turns into a good player - but that is better than 0%.

The only way to get cheap good players is draft them. You get someone like a Siakam late in the first round and that has a hell of a lot more value than a Shamet who is likely a 1 year regular season player rental.

I understand the odds are not good, but you can't win if you don't play, and I don't see how other than getting Book and Paul more rest in the regular season this move improves our title chances.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'll be honest, runs at titles are very rare for us. I'm in general agreement on the need to develop rookies, but when you're in the position to go for it all, I have no problem trying to go for the short-term boost. Especially when we're talking about a very late first round rookie. If we did this deal for a mid-first rounder, I'd get where you're coming from a little more. But truth is, with Paul's advancing age and deteriorating healthy, next year is really the year, IMO.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shamet is going to be streaky. He scored in double figures in 27 games this season. In April in a nine game stretch where he had one bad game but did the following:

TOR - 10 points / 4 assists
NO - 18 points / 8 assists
MIA - 30 points / 3 assists
CHA - 20 points / 1 assist
PHI - 17 points / 3 assists
MIN - 19 points / 5 assists
CHI - 13 points / 1 assist
CHA - 17 points / 2 assists

Seriously, how is this not a net win for the Suns over the Nets?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Something to consider Shamet is also a RFA for next season with a price tag of $5,562,072.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Statistically you are extremely lucky to get an impact player at #29 let alone one that sticks on your team after 5 seasons. It's a no brainer IMO to make this trade. It's likely not a long term thing anyway. The Suns are in win now mode. As long as they are in this mode you are likely to see much role player turnover over the next several seasons.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shamet is going to be streaky. He scored in double figures in 27 games this season. In April in a nine game stretch where he had one bad game but did the following:

TOR - 10 points / 4 assists
NO - 18 points / 8 assists
MIA - 30 points / 3 assists
CHA - 20 points / 1 assist
PHI - 17 points / 3 assists
MIN - 19 points / 5 assists
CHI - 13 points / 1 assist
CHA - 17 points / 2 assists

Seriously, how is this not a net win for the Suns over the Nets?

even if it's not a win over the Nets, it's a net win for the Suns regardless. Great pickup to give Devin a little rest next season. And he's probably gonna need more of it after playing in the Finals and then going directly to the Olympics.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something to consider Shamet is also a RFA for next season with a price tag of $5,562,072.

that's a pretty cheap 1 year deal for a solid back up SG, if that's what he ends up being.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I'll be honest, runs at titles are very rare for us. I'm in general agreement on the need to develop rookies, but when you're in the position to go for it all, I have no problem trying to go for the short-term boost. Especially when we're talking about a very late first round rookie. If we did this deal for a mid-first rounder, I'd get where you're coming from a little more. But truth is, with Paul's advancing age and deteriorating healthy, next year is really the year, IMO.
Yep. Jones is doing exactly what he needs to do. Paul will be worth considerably less to us after next season, so we either go for it now, or, don't bother with CP3 at all...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I like Shamet, but couldn't the Suns have gotten at least the equivalent at #29 (with all of the combo guard prospects that were available), only younger, cheaper and with more upside, while keeping Carter's salary to match in a trade for some much needed size up front? Again, I have no problem packaging #29 and Carter for a veteran, but I was hoping for a big man or at least a notable upgrade over what was available at #29.

Meanwhile...

1) Is this a signal that Cam Payne (or worse, Chris Paul) isn't returning?

2) What are the Suns going to do to fill their gaping holes in the front court?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, it's not that. Look I get it that there is like a 5% chance the #29 pick turns into a good player - but that is better than 0%.

The only way to get cheap good players is draft them. You get someone like a Siakam late in the first round and that has a hell of a lot more value than a Shamet who is likely a 1 year regular season player rental.

I understand the odds are not good, but you can't win if you don't play.
So far Jones has drafted:

Cam Johnson (while also picking up Dario Saric trading down) - both contributed throughout the season and in the playoffs
Jalen Smith (who didn't contribute anything)

So not seeing a track record that Jones hates rookies.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. Jones is doing exactly what he needs to do. Paul will worth considerably less to us after next season, so we either go for it now, or, don't bother with CP3 at all...

agreed. this off-season needs to be ALL IN... and not the BS ALL-IN the Cardinals usually try to sell to the fans bringing in the all-pro 2016 squad, while letting their best defensive player walk and filling up gaping holes with one year blunders (mostly at CB outside of Butler) while still having cap space.

if you're gonna give CP3 a massive amount of coin for three years, you better be doing everything you can to maximize profit... and the best way to do that is hosting playoff games and The Finals.