Landry Shamet traded to suns for Javon Carter and 29th pick

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I get that, and that's fine for the regular season.

I'm saying he is not good enough to give minutes to in the playoffs. We would play more minutes for our other 3 guards over letting him get time.

Only average and above players should see playoff minutes unless you have no other choice.
"Other 3 guards." YOu mean Chris Paul, Devin Booker and Cam Payne? I mean, that's not much of a stretch. He played in the playoffs this year, so I'm not sure what you are seeing that you hate so much.

And for Carter and the #29. Which one of those are you most upset we got rid of?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
No room on this roster for two developmental players. Need contributors now.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I get that, and that's fine for the regular season.

I'm saying he is not good enough to give minutes to in the playoffs. We would play more minutes for our other 3 guards over letting him get time.

Only average and above players should see playoff minutes unless you have no other choice.
Yet, averaged 16 mins per game this post-season...

OP
OP
Proximo

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
"Other 3 guards." YOu mean Chris Paul, Devin Booker and Cam Payne? I mean, that's not much of a stretch. He played in the playoffs this year, so I'm not sure what you are seeing that you hate so much.

And for Carter and the #29. Which one of those are you most upset we got rid of?

I never said I hated it.

What I hate is that James Jones hates rookies. That will eventually screw this team.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
career 39.7%
Almost 40% when the league average was 36.7. Keeping in mind that is also with a league that has changed into a 3 point shooting league. 3% points doesn't seem like much but it really is over the course of a season. His numbers last season would have made him the 3rd best player on the team in 3 pointers made.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Suns thought Shamet could contribute more offensively than Carter and they traded the 29th pick for it. Carter is the better defensive player.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I think the Nets won this deal but the Suns improved the role of Carter/Moore. Makes us better and I expect an important MLE addition to the front court.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I never said I hated it.

What I hate is that James Jones hates rookies. That will eventually screw this team.
That's a little dramatic since we're talking about the 2nd to last pick in the first round being traded for a 24-year-old.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think the Nets won this deal but the Suns improved the role of Carter/Moore. Makes us better and I expect an important MLE addition to the front court.
How did they win it? You must put a lot of value on the #29 pick.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I like this trade. For the first time, Booker will have an actual backup SG behind him. I like Carter, but he wasn't playing, and the pick would not have played either. Shamet is a good rotation player for ten minutes a night when Book sits. He can shoot, though not much of a defender, but he'll be backing up Booker, so it's not a huge deal if the rest of the second unit can defend. Shamet is basically going to save the Suns some money and replace three players on the roster and do a better job than those three (Carter, Galloway, and the 29th pick). I like it- no downside as far as I can tell.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A week ago the Lakers, Mavericks, Knicks were all looking at Shamet.

This is a very solid move

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The only negatives i see are him being a 1 year rental. His stock will rise, and he'll be too expensive for us next season.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Yeah - all he had to beat out for playing time was Tyler Johnson and Mike James.

That is a pretty bad argument.
Not arguing anything. We traded two players who had zero post-season mins and had zero chance of getting any post-season play next season, for a guy who at 24 years-old, has over 620 playoff mins and 31 post-season games. Is there really an argument here??

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Suns thought Shamet could contribute more offensively than Carter and they traded the 29th pick for it. Carter is the better defensive player.
I have not looked at the defensive PER or the Diff but I don't doubt it. Carter at the very least is more tenacious on defense. Then again you can't help the team in that category if you don't leave the bench. I wonder how much playing time Carter will actually get on the Nets?!?! This may have really been about the #29 pick.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose