Landry Shamet traded to suns for Javon Carter and 29th pick

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Do you think there won't be a Carter/Butler/McBride type player in next year's draft? Shamet has gotten minutes for three playoff teams. I do like Butler and McBride but I doubt either of them would contribute to a playoff team in 2022

We don't have a pick in next year's draft.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if the Suns have to extend an offer to Landry Shamet soon as he becomes a RFA in 2022-23?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Again, the numbers say otherwise.
Really? Shamet PLAYED in the playoffs, Carter did not. I cannot believe anyone does not see this trade as a win? Carter could have easily been cut this off season and the Suns eat that contract.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Do you think there won't be a Carter/Butler/McBride type player in next year's draft? Shamet has gotten minutes for three playoff teams. I do like Butler and McBride but I doubt either of them would contribute to a playoff team in 2022

Even still, are you okay just giving that away for what you acknowledge is at best just a lateral move from Carter?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So how is Monty going to have enough confidence to play Shamet, who puts up worse numbers with inferior defense? Frankly, the more I think about it, the more I see a lot of Etwaun Moore in Shamet. Couldn't we have just signed a player like that for the veteran minimum?

Landry Shamet is a player Monty wants just like Cam Payne.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anyone know if the Suns have to extend an offer to Landry Shamet soon as he becomes a RFA in 2022-23?

This is the final season under contract. He'll be a RFA next offseason if we extend a qualifying offer. Nothing to worry about until next summer.

He's from the same draft class as Ayton and Mikal. We could extend him if we wanted but that isn't going to happen.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Even still, are you okay just giving that away for what you acknowledge is at best just a lateral move from Carter?

How did he say it a lateral move? He noted Shamet is a contributor on a playoff team while Carter and McBride aren't and you spin that as a lateral move? You're being completely illogical.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

After reading this, I take back the Etwaun Moore comment. Shamet is more like Langston Galloway.

Don't be surprised if he ends up glued to the bench just the same way Galloway was due to his streakiness, inconsistency and overall lack of reliability, despite spurts of brilliantvplay.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
How did he say it a lateral move? He noted Shamet is a contributor on a playoff team while Carter and McBride aren't and you spin that as a lateral move? You're being completely illogical.

He said both are basically the 9th or 10th man on a roster where only 8 will be regular rotation players.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
I don't acknowledge it is a lateral move from Carter. I think Shamet is a better basketball player than Carter.

Shamet > Carter

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the final season under contract. He'll be a RFA next offseason if we extend a qualifying offer. Nothing to worry about until next summer.

He's from the same draft class as Ayton and Mikal. We could extend him if we wanted but that isn't going to happen.

I think the Suns will have to extend a qualifying offer this summer if they want to keep his rights as an RFA.

If so, this will tell us something. He is scheduled to make $5,562,072 in 2022-23.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

After reading this, I take back the Etwaun Moore comment. Shamet is more like Langston Galloway.

Don't be surprised if he ends up glued to the bench just the same way Galloway was due to his streakiness, inconsistency and overall lack of reliability, despite spurts of brilliantvplay.

So you arent familiar with him at all? Dude can play. Obviously you haven't seen him since you think he compares to Etwaun Moore and Galloway.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't acknowledge it is a lateral move from Carter. I think Shamet is a better basketball player than Carter.

Shamet > Carter

Is Shamet higher on this roster than the 9th or 10th man that Carter was?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the Suns will have to extend a qualifying offer this summer if they want to keep his rights as an RFA.

If so, this will tell us something. He is scheduled to make $5,562,072 in 2022-23.

No, nothing needs to be done this summer. Next offseason we need to tender the qualifying offer. Like I said, same draft class as Ayton and Bridges. Nothing needs to be done now. That $5.562 is the qualifying offer for next season but that needs to happen between the end of next season and the start of the offseason.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So you arent familiar with him at all? Dude can play. Obviously you haven't seen him since you think he compares to Etwaun Moore and Galloway.

I think he is a combo guard in the mold of Etwaun Moore who is capable of the occasional breakout game, but who overall doesn't bring anything special to the table. In my opinion, players like him are a dime a dozen. The image of Galloway was evoked when I read the article emphasizing just how streaky and erratic he can be (and was last season). If Monty didn't like that in Galloway, why would he like it in Shamet?

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
He said both are basically the 9th or 10th man on a roster where only 8 will be regular rotation players.
I don't recall writing, implying or even thinking that. Carter as a player wasn't a 9th or 10th player on the Phoenix Suns in 2021 playoff run.

You implied that Monty made some blunder in not playing Carter in the post season based on PER.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't recall writing, implying or even thinking that. Carter as a player wasn't a 9th or 10th player on the Phoenix Suns in 2021 playoff run.

You implied that Monty made some blunder in not playing Carter in the post season based on PER.

Not quite. I am saying that Carter put up better numbers and played better defense than Shamet, so if Carter wasn't good enough for Monty to play in the playoffs, what makes anyone think Shamet would be?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

No he didn't. Not even close. Now you're flat out lying. Where did he say that, here's his comment...

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score

It isn't unprecedented to have a late round pick contribute to a playoff team. Immanuel Quickley did it last year with the Knicks.

Butler, if healthy, is an absolute steal in this draft and can contribute to just about any team. His whole negative is his health status.
McBride is already a top rate NBA defender with a 40+% from 3. He can contribute to just about any team as well.
Both of these guys, I predict, will be better than Landry. So yes, I'd rather have one of them AND Carter over Landry.

Guys like Ayo might take time to develop and are less like to show this year.

Also, while I'm not over the moon on the trade, I can't wait to see what Monty does with Landry. Monty has made every player I can think of play better under his tutelage. Landry is a hungry player who wants to help his team and he'll be a perfect fit here. I expect Landry to have his best year as a pro next year.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It isn't unprecedented to have a late round pick contribute to a playoff team. Immanuel Quickley did it last year with the Knicks.

Butler, if healthy, is an absolute steal in this draft and can contribute to just about any team. His whole negative is his health status.
McBride is already a top rate NBA defender with a 40+% from 3. He can contribute to just about any team as well.
Both of these guys, I predict, will be better than Landry. So yes, I'd rather have one of them AND Carter over Landry.

Guys like Ayo might take time to develop and are less like to show this year.

Also, while I'm not over the moon on the trade, I can't wait to see what Monty does with Landry. Monty has made every player I can think of play better under his tutelage. Landry is a hungry player who wants to help his team and he'll be a perfect fit here. I expect Landry to have his best year as a pro next year.

Monty has made a lot of players better, but he certainly didn't improve Etwaun Moore, Langston Galloway, Dario Saric or even Javon Carter.