Landry Shamet traded to suns for Javon Carter and 29th pick

OP
OP
Proximo

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is not a long-run situation. Suns are competing NOW. If he had a top-five pick, I am sure he would have used it. 29th pick is statistically useless. You can't develop borderline NBA talent when you are competing for a championship. Suns entire core outside of CP3 and Crowder are 25 and younger. They need veterans far more than they need rookies.

Well, I guess you are thinking about the situation differently than me.

I don't think this team can make the finals again next year, and if they do the Nets would kick their butt if they are healthy.

I feel like it will take a couple of years of development from Ayton and Mikal before we will be at that level again - if they progress as I think they should.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
See, he is scared to make a pick.

That is ridiculous. He made 2 wildly unpopular picks while GM and didn't give a damn how they were viewed. 1 proved to be a great pick and the other hasn't panned out yet. Trading #29 for a solid rotation player that is 24 who the Suns control his future since he'll be a RFA after the season is better for them now than whoever they could have drafted with 29th pick.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need the Suns to sign an undrafted free agent as a consolation prize... a massive center. :)

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don't think this team can make the finals again next year, and if they do the Nets would kick their butt if they are healthy.

I feel like it will take a couple of years of development from Ayton and Mikal before we will be at that level again - if they progress as I think they should.

And you haven't liked a single move James Jones has made and never thought they'd make the finals last year. So that puts you in a better position to plan for the teams future than the guy who took us from the basement to the top of the league? Ok.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

Well, nobody thought they could make it this year. I am not sure why next year is any different. Booker, Ayton, Bridges, Johnson, and Pain should all get better. Paul will be a little older, Crowder should still be Crowder. Add another big or two, and a shooter like Shamet, and they are good to go. In a couple of years, Paul is going to be extremely old and not nearly as effective. I don't want the Suns to wait. Also, I don't buy that the Nets would kick their butts. Suns are an outstanding two-way team that can beat anyone.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Even if the Nets would sweep them in the finals, I'd gladly take another trip to the finals than counting ping pong balls again.

Who here would prefer Sarver save a couple bucks by telling Paul to sign elsewhere and signing someone like Lonzo to fight to make the playoffs vs another trip to the finals again where we'd be the underdog?

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
DAMNIT!!! Frickin major run on backup centers last 10 picks to include Bassey, Mamu, Sims, Garza.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You were one of the most vocal people discounting the idea of adding a player who could help at #29 and now you're mad we added a rotation player using that pick? Quit being such a downer. Its ridiculous how you flip flop like this.

Adding a player who contributes more to our championship push. Not trading for a player who is basically the same level right now, only more expensive, with only one more year left on his deal, and at the cost of a second player at pretty much the same level who could have been traded for someone more useful. You are both overestimating what Shamet brings to the table and underestimating what we would have had in the combination of Carter and Butler/McBride.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No but there is a balance. Going all veterans is no better than all rookies in the long run.
Good grief. Shamet is 24. It's not like he is in his mid 30s. He is the perfect age for this team. We cannot afford to have late first round rookies on this team.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Suns are not a bottom-feeder team anymore. They are the Western Conference champions. They won two games in the NBA finals. They don't need Shamet to improve. If he does- great, but it is not necessary. Their top seven rotation is set right now. It will be top eight rotation once a big man is brought it. Suns are looking to fill out ninth, tenth, etc rotation spots. This is not a Booker and a bunch of scrubs team anymore. Shamet saves them money and gets into the rotation as the ninth player while replacing a player who was not in the rotation, a rookie who would sit on the bench, and eliminates another non-rotation player (Galloway, presumably), thus clearing two rosters spots. This is exactly the type of a player they needed.

So, in other words, we sacrificed a potential future contributor (even if the chances were small) and the salary spot that could have been used in another trade for...nothing...

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Adding a player who contributes more to our championship push. Not trading for a player who is basically the same level right now, only more expensive, with only one more year left on his deal, and at the cost of a second player at pretty much the same level who could have been traded for someone more useful. You are both overestimating what Shamet brings to the table and underestimating what we would have had in the combination of Carter and Butler/McBride.

You are completely ignoring that Carter did absolutely nothing in the postseason for the Suns. He was one of my favorite players and it sucks losing him but we added someone who was a contributor for a contender last year in Shamet. You can try to discount Shamet saying he only had to beat out Tyler Johnson and Mike James for minutes but Javon Carter couldn't beat out Etwaun Moore. You're overstating his value and that of someone who every team turned down in the first round. Shamet is ready to contribute now and its unlikely McBride is in the league in 2 years.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DAMNIT!!! Frickin major run on backup centers last 10 picks to include Bassey, Mamu, Sims, Garza.

I guess they want to extract every ounce of hope from the draft.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Good grief. Shamet is 24. It's not like he is in his mid 30s. He is the perfect age for this team. We cannot afford to have late first round rookies on this team.

Even late first round rookies who are already better than Shamet?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You are completely ignoring that Carter did absolutely nothing in the postseason for the Suns. He was one of my favorite players and it sucks losing him but we added someone who was a contributor for a contender last year in Shamet. You can try to discount Shamet saying he only had to beat out Tyler Johnson and Mike James for minutes but Javon Carter couldn't beat out Etwaun Moore. You're overstating his value and that of someone who every team turned down in the first round. Shamet is ready to contribute now and its unlikely McBride is in the league in 2 years.

I guarantee you that if Monty gave Carter a shot, he would have contributed more than Shamet. Heck, when Carter did play, he put up a better PER than Shamet and played better defense.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Carter was a two guard in a pg's body. I loved his d, but like Carter, Shamet is a player I wanted the Suns to draft. He is a two guard in a two guard's body.

He is a proven contributor and a sure thing.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Even late first round rookies who are already better than Shamet?

Other than you and Proximo, who says they're better? The ESPN grades on this deal highlight that Brooklyn is cash strapped and tried to get cheap players to fill out their roster beyond this season because they knew they couldn't afford to keep Shamet beyond this year. He's the better player now.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Javon Carter actually had a better PER and is a far superior defender.

Monty apparently did not have enough confidence to play Carter in the playoffs.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Other than you and Proximo, who says they're better? The ESPN grades on this deal highlight that Brooklyn is cash strapped and tried to get cheap players to fill out their roster beyond this season because they knew they couldn't afford to keep Shamet beyond this year. He's the better player now.

Again, the numbers say otherwise.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Monty apparently did not have enough confidence to play Carter in the playoffs.

So how is Monty going to have enough confidence to play Shamet, who puts up worse numbers with inferior defense? Frankly, the more I think about it, the more I see a lot of Etwaun Moore in Shamet. Couldn't we have just signed a player like that for the veteran minimum?

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
So, in other words, we sacrificed a potential future contributor (even if the chances were small) and the salary spot that could have been used in another trade for...nothing...
Do you think there won't be a Carter/Butler/McBride type player in next year's draft? Shamet has gotten minutes for three playoff teams. I do like Butler and McBride but I doubt either of them would contribute to a playoff team in 2022

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
No they don't. Show me what Javon did in the postseason compared to Shamet.

Monty didn't give Javon a chance in the playoffs. For the season, Javon posted a PER a full 2 points higher while playing better defense.