Kyrie

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
While I would love to get Kyrie now, we can just hold course and let Bledsoe walk at the end of his contract and use that money to sign Kyrie or whoever else we want to get.

Or maybe Bled stays??

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Just say forget it to the Cavs. They're not getting Chriss or Bender (and absolutely not Jackson). I say keep Bledsoe, Warren and the picks. Irving doesn't want to be here. Why potentially throw away much of our future for some headlines and a rich man's Knight (LOL) for two years. It's just stupid.

I agree with this on a surface level but I wonder a few things.

1) How bad do the suns want to resign Warren?

2) If Warren stays do we have a potential logjam at small forward with Warren/Jackson/Bender? I know Bender could can play multiple positions however.

3) Do we have room for yet another couple draft picks next year with our pick and the Miami pick? Yeah we can combine picks and move up though.

4) Do the suns think they have a shot at resigning Irving if they get him? Do they have more potential upgrades to lure him into staying?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I would love to get Kyrie now, we can just hold course and let Bledsoe walk at the end of his contract and use that money to sign Kyrie or whoever else we want to get.

Who is to say what happens in two years.

I think the reason the Suns even think about trading for Kyrie now is that they can lay the table for being a contender in two years. Hopefully Booker, Kyrie, Jackson and another star gets them there.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Then LeBron says on the way out door..."Well bro you could have rot on the suns...at least I showed you the playoffs"
Have you ever been to Cleveland?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But they may not be better overall teams. LeBron could join a PHX squad that has Devin Booker, Eric Bledsoe, Josh Jackson, LeBron would play the PF spot in that lineup, and say worst case scenario we get Ayton in next year's draft, he plays the C spot. Plus you have Chriss, Bender, Warren, Williams, Reed, Ulis, Chandler (if he is not dealt), Len (if he is re-signed) and Knight to form a very deep bench. They best thing is we could afford LeBron and still have space for another main piece if we need one. Yeah, LAL will have Ball, but who else? Ingram & Randle? Even if they land George, PHX would have a better overall squad. The time line would be moved up because with that team, PHX could have enough depth to at least challenge GS. The James Jones hiring had to at least been partly motivated in attempt to at least make a pitch to LeBron, why in the world else would you sign a guy with no prior experience or name recognition for the job?

It would be a great scenario if things worked out.

However, as we have seen, the Suns have been on the short end of acquiring top free agents. I think this is why they are looking so hard at acquiring Irving now.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I'm good with a Kyrie/Booker backcourt going forward. Ppl say it'd be the equivalent of Portland but we have cap space and draft picks unlike the Blazers. It's hard to win in this league without taking chances and if he walks in two years I can live with it.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm good with a Kyrie/Booker backcourt going forward. Ppl say it'd be the equivalent of Portland but we have cap space and draft picks unlike the Blazers. It's hard to win in this league without taking chances and if he walks in two years I can live with it.

I think just out of entertainment value I wouldn't mind Irving. Just to see something different.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree. Sometimes a team has to roll the dice.

Speaking of Portland, a healthy Jusuf Nurkic would have helped the Trail Blazers in the playoffs last season although I'm sure GS would have still won the series handily.

Next season he will be a RFA and they will have to pay him near the max to keep him. They are going to have to trim their roster.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think just out of entertainment value I wouldn't mind Irving. Just to see something different.
Don't worry. We'll have new jerseys this season, so you'll see something different.

I'm probably in a minority here, but I'm tired of the Kyrie talk. Will he tip the scales? No. Will he make Phoenix a "more desirable" free agent destination? Maybe, except for the fact that he doesn't make other teammates better.

And really, the difference between Bledsoe and Irving isn't THAT big. But they want Bledsoe along with a young player -- a player drafted in the TOP 5 -- AND a 1st round draft pick?

I'm sorry, maybe you all see something with Kyrie that I don't. I'm happy with sticking with Bledsoe at this point and not mortgaging part of our future to get a guy that may or may not help attract free agents. With his defensive issues, he sure isn't going to get us a lot more wins.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Have you ever been to Cleveland?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I visited the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame a couple of years ago, after visiting my son and daughter-in-law back East a few states away.

And I took the harbor cruise. And drove through Shaker Heights.

That's about it for Cleveland. :)

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Don't worry. We'll have new jerseys this season, so you'll see something different.

I'm probably in a minority here, but I'm tired of the Kyrie talk. Will he tip the scales? No. Will he make Phoenix a "more desirable" free agent destination? Maybe, except for the fact that he doesn't make other teammates better.

And really, the difference between Bledsoe and Irving isn't THAT big. But they want Bledsoe along with a young player -- a player drafted in the TOP 5 -- AND a 1st round draft pick?

I'm sorry, maybe you all see something with Kyrie that I don't. I'm happy with sticking with Bledsoe at this point and not mortgaging part of our future to get a guy that may or may not help attract free agents. With his defensive issues, he sure isn't going to get us a lot more wins.

I can't argue against anything you are saying Chaplin but maybe the suns have bigger more elaborate plans than we realize. If we judge an Irving trade by itself then yeah it doesn't make a lot of sense but if there are other moves after or down the road then maybe things are more clear.

I'm not sold on Irving but it seems the suns have genuine interest...

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ok hypothetical...

If we knew for a FACT that Irving would resign with the suns would that change any naysayers around here?

Errntknght

Reaction score
Ok hypothetical...

If we knew for a FACT that Irving would resign with the suns would that change any naysayers around here?

No, it definitely wouldn't change my feeling about him. I don't care for his style of play on offense and I like his D much less. He's all about Kyrie, and he'll want the super max when his two years are up - so if I were running the show I wouldn't resign him.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
No, it definitely wouldn't change my feeling about him. I don't care for his style of play on offense and I like his D much less. He's all about Kyrie, and he'll want the super max when his two years are up - so if I were running the show I wouldn't resign him.

IIRC a player can only get the supermax from his original team.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ok hypothetical...

Nope.

One thing that's been mentioned, although briefly, is chasing Cousins this next offseason and I think swapping Bledsoe for Kyrie might hurt our chances there. Bledsoe is good friends with Cousins and a former teammate of his at UK. Cousins has stated his interest in playing with Bledsoe. Now I don't think that alone should keep us from swapping PG's but I think that is something to be considered by some people who believe Kyrie will help us lure other "stars" here.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's probably all moot anyway. The Suns have established their own value for Kyrie. They made an offer accordingly. Cleveland wants a lot more and supposedly has better offers. Sounds like neither side is going to budge.

Cleveland is probably going to end up taking a lot less for Kyrie from someone else.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope.

One thing that's been mentioned, although briefly, is chasing Cousins this next offseason and I think swapping Bledsoe for Kyrie might hurt our chances there. Bledsoe is good friends with Cousins and a former teammate of his at UK. Cousins has stated his interest in playing with Bledsoe. Now I don't think that alone should keep us from swapping PG's but I think that is something to be considered by some people who believe Kyrie will help us lure other "stars" here.

So Bledsoe lures Lebron and Cousins to the Suns and we are set. :)

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So Bledsoe lures Lebron and Cousins to the Suns and we are set. :)
Or we do what someone suggested which is actually a good idea. If we don't get LeBron or Cousins, then don't re-sign Bledsoe and go after Kyrie as a FA. Kyrie alone is not going to turn PHX around and if you give up what CLE is asking for him, you could miss out on a stud player in next year's draft.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or we do what someone suggested which is actually a good idea. If we don't get LeBron or Cousins, then don't re-sign Bledsoe and go after Kyrie as a FA. Kyrie alone is not going to turn PHX around and if you give up what CLE is asking for him, you could miss out on a stud player in next year's draft.

I'm not sold on trading for Kyrie, much less sign him as a free agent. It could happen but I'm not sure he is a good fit for the Suns unless they are trying to sign a "star" player.

If the Suns do not trade for him now, they may not need him in two years if they draft and develop their younger players.

Raliu

Reaction score
All run and screen and catch then pass or shoot the ball, it's Suns style, and modern NBA style.

Kyrie feels happy only when he can stick with the ball and teammates screen or space for him, typical iso player.

If he joins Suns, I believe he will take as many minutes with the ball and shoot as many times as Kobe, then Suns will not win many more games, then he will be disappointed and "make a decision" 2-yr later, leave a bunch of 4~5 yr young players who didn't touch the ball much on court in these 2 years.

So no, I'm not with Kyrie trade, not for any price.

It's almost like sending Dragic to Rockets for Brooks trade, what a nightmare, a future-star-organizer for a contract-to-expire-iso-guard. Just double the mistake.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we could get assurance he would resign for the MAX? It costs us Bledsoe, a pick, we keep Booker and Jackson? Sign me up and twice on Sunday.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
He believes the earth is flat, people.

Huge red flag.