Kyler on Pat Mcafee show

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Murray is, much of the time, fun as heck to watch. I don't really dig his personality, and I don't think he's doing the classwork/film study to be great, which I think is ultimately going to hold him back.

A lot of his TDs, IMO, are vultured from a running back in a more functional/balanced offense.

I think that we can all agree that his biggest plays are happening outside of schedule/play design. I don't see that he's working on the hard, boring, awful work that fixes and tweaks those little mechanical things, or wants to.
Posted this in another thread.

22 yard TD vs. 49ers
21 yard TD vs. WFT
14 yard TD vs. WFT
12 yard TD vs. Dolphins
8 Yard TD vs. Eagles
15 yard TD vs. Bills

Not to mention the rabbit out of his hat runs vs. the Seahawks and Lions where nothing was there and he found the endzone. Lions run was an under center boot I believe.

There was a few times where he could have "goosed" the stats more, but it seemed like we were determined to get Drake in the endzone.

I dont think he'll be a 10+ TD guy every year though. However, 7 to 8 seems likely.

And also is he not doing the work or is he not simply applying the work to the field yet? Those are two different things. Mahomes mentioned on a team loaded with speed/great players, coaching from Andy Reid, etc that he didnt really figure out how to read post snap defenses until midway his 3rd year.

"I understood coverages but how to be able to pick up little tendencies defenses do, stuff that Brady and them have done, they know it, and they just do it," Mahomes said on the show. "I was just playing."
"This year I could actually recognize more and more stuff," Mahomes said. "The more experience and the more I learn then I'll be able to go out there and call plays and do all that different stuff because I've seen it. I still think there's a long way for me to go there."

Russell Wilson said on Cowherd that it took until his 3rd year to get it. Was last year's struggles from Josh Allen because he wasnt putting in the work? Or he just couldnt convert it from practice to games yet.

Idk maybe Mahomes wasnt putting in the work.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Murray is, much of the time, fun as heck to watch. I don't really dig his personality, and I don't think he's doing the classwork/film study to be great, which I think is ultimately going to hold him back.

A lot of his TDs, IMO, are vultured from a running back in a more functional/balanced offense.

I think that we can all agree that his biggest plays are happening outside of schedule/play design. I don't see that he's working on the hard, boring, awful work that fixes and tweaks those little mechanical things, or wants to.

fair enough. I disagree but I think it's really hard to know because 2020 was such an unusual year. The normal quantum leap you hope for was hampered on lots of guys because of Covid and less practice and camp etc. I thought Kyler fixed some really big things, like the huge sacks by running backwards. I thought he took a massive leap forward as a runner, rookie year I spent the year saying he needs to run more, from a guy who doesn't like running QB's, but I think Kyler showed he understood that. I agree that he takes some rushing TD's away from RB's but I think it's because he's better at it than Drake was so he'd just take off. If you look at the clip for this thread that was posted, there's 3 or 4 td's in there on runs where basically maybe him and Lamar are the only guys in the league who score on that play, and it might be just him. As the season wore on and he hurt the shoulder and ran less and less effectively, I think we saw how often he bailed us out in the run game as Drake struggled to get yards when he needed it.

I do agree about the schedule stuff I just don't know what % of that is Kyler and what is Kliff.

I also continue to think you add one more good Wr to this roster and the whole offense changes dramatically, as the season went on I think it became clear why he doesn't throw to Andy, even if he looks open, he doesn't trust Andy and neither frankly does Kliff which is why his PT fell off a cliff(!). With Kirk the talent is there and there are definitely plays where Kyler didn't see him or didn't get the ball there, but without even trying I can think of 3 TD passes Kirk dropped this year, he dropped as many last year. I remember in the first start for Rosen, Kirk had 2 huge drops, one was a TD one was about a 30 to 40 yarder. The talent is there he's just so inconsistent.

he won't be there but again if would could add Waddle to this offense I think it's a HUGE impact.

I should add I like Dan Arnold, I hope he comes back, but if you google him with the Saints you will find out the reason we got him was he kept dropping balls in NO. So the drops we saw at times last year, those were kind of common for him in NO too in limited reps. They really liked him, they just weren't sure about his hands. So far I'm the same he's made some huge plays, and some really nice catches, but almost every game he dropped a ball that could have been caught. Beginning to worry that may be who he is.

This year he has to show a big jump in certain areas, but I do think the talent is clearly there

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with this.

I dont blame him, Bidwill is running it like it's his little play toy/hobby and is not focused on winning.

That much is obvious
Ftfy. ;)

You know what would change my mind? Him getting out of the way. Maybe I'll be proven wrong and we'll get a nice little run and he can learn from his mistakes. But man, it sure does feel like him being more of a micromanaging owner. No bueno.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am listening to this on Sirius and apparently Kyler won some sort of chain from Snickers worth 60k. Kyler is donating that as an auction for first responders in Arizona

No mention of that anywhere

There is a narrative being made on this kid that just isn't right

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Listening to the show, he uses we when talking about him and Kliff needing to be more consistent as well.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Kyler also on Dan Patrick today so listening to that now.
The interview where Dan asks him what he has learned from Fitz and what he from playing with Fitz to which he doesn't answer the question and just expounds on how much Larry means to the community...

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ter-after-sloppy-performance-against-cowboys/
“I missed a throw to Hop, which shouldn’t happen. Missed a throw to Larry (Fitzgerald). Just a lot of stuff left out there, a lot of opportunities left out there. It could have been a lot better.”

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
"i think if i don't turn the ball over 3 times we have a better chance to win the game"

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
same interview, takes direct blame for the loss "if i didn't do what i did today we woulda won the game"

i don't feel like getting links from his mic'd up vids with the cards, but he has gone up to receivers during the game and told them "that's on me" for bad throws, ints, missing open recievers ect.

he clearly doesn't love talking to the media, that starts with kliff. kliff has openly said that he doesn't like talking to the media, that rolls down hill.

Listening to the show, he uses we when talking about him and Kliff needing to be more consistent as well.

Different interview stuff.

KM: I can’t honestly say I’m too proud. I think we got better as a football team, but I think we can get a lot better. We have a lot of room still left to grow. I wouldn’t use the word “proud” when I think back on our season. We still have a lot of work to do.

KM: I think the game just slowed down for me. You hear a lot of guys saying that at the conclusion of their sophomore seasons and I get it now. It happened for me as well. It was the same thing that happened for me when I went from high school to college and now college to the NFL. There’s a new level to the pro game. Once the game slows down for you, you can play fast and be comfortable in the pocket. It allows you to let your abilities take over. You don’t have to overthink things. The game definitely slowed down for me in 2020. I think that reflected in my play.

KM: I need to clean up the turnovers. I need to do a better job limiting those. Those are possessions that I’m giving away when we can be scoring points on them instead. You can’t control a tipped ball and things of that nature, but we need to limit the turnovers. We’re bound to be more successful in 2021 if we can do that.

https://cardswire.usatoday.com/lists/arizona-cardinals-kyler-murray-snickers-hungriest-player/

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The interview where Dan asks him what he has learned from Fitz and what he from playing with Fitz to which he doesn't answer the question and just expounds on how much Larry means to the community...

A player has to follow his own road, having good examples helps but Murray what should have to learn from Larry?
He is a quite guy, doesn't have any off the field issue, he is athletically gifted and seems to care about his body and being professional
in his case what really would make the difference is the passion for the game and the desire to get better as a player, he has it or he hasn't, there is nothing to learn

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
A player has to follow his own road, having good examples helps but Murray what should have to learn from Larry?
He is a quite guy, doesn't have any off the field issue, he is athletically gifted and seems to care about his body and being professional
in his case what really would make the difference is the passion for the game and the desire to get better as a player, he has it or he hasn't, there is nothing to learn
I thought it was interesting. I agree. Some dudes want to make their own way.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
HE had another one with CardsWire. He talked about limiting turnovers and not celebrating the season as there was several missed opportunities. Also talked about Byron Murphy being a player who he thinks will take a step next year.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would like to see him playing safety, i think in that role can be pro bowler
wasn't he a safety in college? if i recall the only reason he started playing corner was because of our lack of depth.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
"It was like, you just didn't know which team you were getting," the Cardinals quarterback said Monday during an appearance on the “Pat McAfee Show,” part of a car wash of interviews Murray was doing for Super Bowl week.

"That comes down to us being inconsistent," Murray added. "For me, it starts with the little things, and I have said it before, organizations that win, they do everything right. They do everything the right way. Attention to detail, the small things. I've said, how you do anything is how you do everything.

Love it.

He is right about that. There are no small things in football, everything counts. When Arians was at his best, is when he coached that way. I think it is the way you have to play football. Do everything right, even the small things.

Because it is a game of inches. The difference between 3rd and inches and a 1st down. Which is something this teams needs to think about.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I didnt hear any question about Fitz.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
wasn't he a safety in college? if i recall the only reason he started playing corner was because of our lack of depth.
No, he wasn't a safety, played cb at Washington
Was drafted to play nickle and played Lcb after Alford got hurt in his rookie season

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both interviews keep hammering baseball and football.

I really wish they wouldn't waste interview time going over the same questions he has been asked for a year

At least McAfee asked about his relationship with Kingsbury

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose