Kyler Murray

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Meh...he was overwhelmed for a majority of the game and his slow decision making and poor footwork caused a lot of the offense's issues. That being said, he was nails for a good portion of the 4th Q. A big concern is that Squeak didn't carry the momentum into OT. We will see. Hopefully he can develop and grow.
Good 4th Quarter against a crappy Lions team does not wow me .Show me something when playing a quality team.

Yes. Just the biggest comeback by a rookie Qb in the history of the Nfl. No big deal.

Agree! Some on this board will never be pleased. Oh well, they should probably be Stealer fans!

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
On the broadcast they said that every #1 overall pick QB since 2002 had lost their first game. Something around 0-11.

He literally did better than any of the rest by tieing in his first game.

Carson Palmer
Eli Manning
Alex Smith
Jamarcus Russell
Matthew Stafford
Sam Bradford
Cam Newton
Andrew Luck
Jameis Winston
Jared Goff
Baker Mayfield

They all lost. But not Murray.

An 18pt 4th quarter comeback is rare for any QB to accomplish, let alone a rookie in his first start. As another said, it was a rookie record. Had we pulled this out, it would have been a legendary start to a career. A tie is bittersweet, but still something Murray can build from.

Last year our QB's topped out at 252 yards. We only threw for over 200 yards in a game FOUR times. Murray dropped 308 in his first game.

History shows we were supposed to lose this game. We didn't.

Russell Wilson started his career against us in 2012. His stat line was like this....

18/34 153 yards 1 td 1int 1 fumble (recovered) 20 rush yards 3 sacks 16-20 loss

There's plenty to be excited and hopeful for. I don't know what people were expecting. This is about as good as it gets.

The Ravens will be a good test next week for both sides of the ball.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Agree! Some on this board will never be pleased. Oh well, they should probably be Stealer fans!

And some are pleased tying one of the worst teams in the NFL while playing at home with the top pick in the draft.So by all means continue to worship at the KM shrine.

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Since Murray is supposed to be transcendent and change the game why get excited about a comeback against one of the crappy teams in the NFL?After Cards have SuperDuper QB don`t they?

Did you expect him to come in and be the next Tom Brady with Michael Vick's wheels? He's been comped to Russell Wilson, and he had a better 1st game as a rookie than Russell Wilson did against us back in 2012.

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
And some are pleased tying one of the worst teams in the NFL while playing at home with the top pick in the draft.So by all means continue to worship at the KM shrine.

They were bad last years, but this is an entirely different year.

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Did you expect him to come in and be the next Tom Brady with Michael Vick's wheels? He's been comped to Russell Wilson, and he had a better 1st game as a rookie than Russell Wilson did against us back in 2012.

Agreed. Relax. Our defense played well enough to keep us in the game missing our top 2 corners.

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
On the broadcast they said that every #1 overall pick QB since 2002 had lost their first game. Something around 0-11.

Carson Palmer
Eli Manning
Alex Smith
Jamarcus Russell
Matthew Stafford
Sam Bradford
Cam Newton
Andrew Luck
Jameis Winston
Jared Goff
Baker Mayfield

An 18pt 4th quarter comeback is rare for any QB to accomplish, let alone a rookie in his first start. As another said, it was a rookie record. Had we pulled this out, it would have been a legendary start to a career. A tie is bittersweet, but still something Murray can build from.

Last year our QB's topped out at 252 yards. We only threw for over 200 yards in a game FOUR times. Murray dropped 308 in his first game.

Russell Wilson started his career against us in 2012. His stat line was like this....

There's plenty to be excited and hopeful for. I don't know what people were expecting. This is about as good as it gets.

It was so refreshing to see over 300 yards passing by our QB. I remember last year seeing Rosen pass for a buck 20 every game, was so depression.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Very Poor opening 3 Qtrs. He wasn't accurate, sailing too many or just throwing high or behind and reading late mostly. They looked like a rookie QB offense that had never run the show in prime time. He and coach K have a long way to go, but we have hope. He needs to get positive scrambling yards or just get rid of it, and throw it out. D's are too fast up here. Too many big losses on trying to do too much. And the height is an issue until...it's not.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very Poor opening 3 Qtrs. He wasn't accurate, sailing too many or just throwing high or behind and reading late mostly. They looked like a rookie QB offense that had never run the show in prime time. He and coach K have a long way to go, but we have hope. He needs to get positive scrambling yards or just get rid of it, and throw it out. D's are too fast up here. Too many big losses on trying to do too much. And the height is an issue until...it's not.

couldn't say it better myself.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
He was nervous, extremely nervous. He says he wasn't but you could tell. Once he got over it, he looked much better. Fitz helped a ton to with those 2 awesome catches he had.

He looked very nervous his first drive.

And Murray has still only lost three football games in his life.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Learning experience for Murray. Very up and down so typical rookie stuff. There were a couple of "welcome to the NFL" moments for him (i.e. not being able to beat the D to the edge on a couple of runs). But encouraging.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Pretty dreadful in the first half Stout. The Int was a really bad decision, and he took at least one unnecessary sack. At least two passes blocked at the LOS too. He looked completely out of rhythm.
I was screaming at the TV during that one sack, "throw the @$#%ing ball away" he will learn.

OP
OP
Crimson Warrior

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

Carson Palmer
Eli Manning
Alex Smith
Jamarcus Russell
Matthew Stafford
Sam Bradford
Cam Newton
Andrew Luck
Jameis Winston
Jared Goff
Baker Mayfield

What a great post. Fantastic work sir.

OP
OP
Crimson Warrior

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

Easy man.

Nobody's putting him in the HOF. Nobody's saying he's a top five QB in the league.

But he got up off the mat, and manged to put us up by three. People appreciate that.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Per the Athletic, Murray joins Jake Plummer as the only rookie Cardinals QB since the merger to throw for 300 yards in a game

That is a stat I didn't know about.

It's wrong. Leinart had a 400 yard game his rookie season against the Vikings.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yep you are correct. Strange they didn't catch it.

Jurecki is saying he's the only Cardinals rookie to throw for 300 yards in his debut. That seems to check out

New Mexico

Fan since 1976ish
Reaction score
Good and bad too be expected from first start. Glad the good came later as it shows he can adjust. Both he and his coach have a lot to learn. Play calling horrible most of the game.

I thought there were some bad play calls (red zone play calling mostly), but I wouldn't say it was horrible most of the game. I actually liked most of the calls and the play designs. I'm pretty excited moving forward.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
1 game, my take , he sucked for 49 minutes and then Fitz caught that HUGE catch and ignited the come from behind tie, this is by no means a Kyler bashing post, it's a fact he was terrible, inaccurate, confused and playing almost skittish at times (welcome the the speed of the NFL) BUT Fitz being the GOAT and leader that he is, gave KM that boost and he finished strong. This was a great learning experience for this kid that the NFL is vastly different and now he knows what to expect from the big boys and how he'll need to adjust. As long as he learns from this and gets better and continues to grow then we can be be optimistic

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1 game, my take , he sucked for 49 minutes and then Fitz caught that HUGE catch and ignited the come from behind tie, this is by no means a Kyler bashing post, it's a fact he was terrible, inaccurate, confused and playing almost skittish at times (welcome the the speed of the NFL) BUT Fitz being the GOAT and leader that he is, gave KM that boost and he finished strong. This was a great learning experience for this kid that the NFL is vastly different and now he knows what to expect from the big boys and how he'll need to adjust. As long as he learns from this and gets better and continues to grow then we can be be optimistic

That's exactly what I told my wife at the game. When Fitz came up from the ground tossed the ball and flexed his arms - the crowd responded and I said to her "we are going to make this a ball game."

OP
OP
Crimson Warrior

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
That's exactly what I told my wife at the game. When Fitz came up from the ground tossed the ball and flexed his arms - the crowd responded and I said to her "we are going to make this a ball game."

On the way to work today, the sports radio guys here in OKC were talking about how lucky K1 is to have Fitz. Fitz, the most non-crazy WR in the entire game, the hardest worker, and the least complainer.

They like DJ too. They said DJ has at least kept his mouth shut through all of the struggles over the last two years.

Two steadying influences in the locker room. Lucky for K1 and K2 both.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

Yep you are correct. Strange they didn't catch it.

Jurecki is saying he's the only Cardinals rookie to throw for 300 yards in his debut. That seems to check out

The #1 pick to lose is a false flag IMO also. Mariotta (#2) beat Jameis in their opener. Who the heck cares in the end though. It's nice to say, but doesn't really represent anything IMO