Kyler Murray Stat Line vs Bengals

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
His throw to Clay was ridiculous. It was an average nfl passing play to the TE, but I could not believe the velocity he put on it.

That was an eye popper.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was disappointed in him getting caught...

He doesn't scramble/throw for big yards like Russell Wilson
does. He may never have that. The weight gain...yea not quite Vick fast.

Still I think he makes more in the pocket down field throws with accuracy than Vick/Wilson did as rookie/young players.

Just needs to show more "special" plays like those guys. That last drive was the glimpse we were looking for.
I think when the game slows down for him like it has with Wilson he will eventually get there...

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think "very dangerous" is a fair description.

It's not just his speed, which is excellent, but it's his ability to change direction so suddenly that makes him deadly effective in the open field. I think this was pretty evident today.
Agree. His pure quickness is something Vick never had. Vick had that open field speed but I love what I see from Kyler with that decision making when taking off. Just like college so far.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
He’s clearly ahead of Vick passing wise than Vick ever was already.
Like @SoonerLou said, it's the rushing I'm talking about. Even still, it's silly to say he's ahead of Vick in terms of passing, but we can move on from that.

You've gotta look back at the hot takes in the offseason from the Murray backers, where he was already going to be Michael Vick with the ball in the open field, and Russell Wilson with better accuracy.

I said it in another thread - let's let Kyler be Kyler, but his ability in the open field does not match Vick's, even though he has speed.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
His throw to Clay was ridiculous. It was an average nfl passing play to the TE, but I could not believe the velocity he put on it.

That was an eye popper.

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy
I think clay was having the same thoughts..

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Like @SoonerLou said, it's the rushing I'm talking about. Even still, it's silly to say he's ahead of Vick in terms of passing, but we can move on from that.

You've gotta look back at the hot takes in the offseason from the Murray backers, where he was already going to be Michael Vick with the ball in the open field, and Russell Wilson with better accuracy.

I said it in another thread - let's let Kyler be Kyler, but his ability in the open field does not match Vick's, even though he has speed.
I mean, it’s clearly not, but yea let’s move on.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I think when that video surfaced of him and Andy is when I first had doubts. Andy got a late start and still stared down Kyler at the end of a 20 yard sprint.

Afterwards both Murray/Andy said that Andy was easily winning the sprints before that.

Vick had legit low 4.3 speed. I watched every game at OU. I'd say Kyler was probably a mid to high 4.3 guy. However, thats when he probably weighed 190 and not the 210 he weighs now. Looks like a low 4.5 guy with how much he's been caught.

Upcoming the Falcons aren't good...but they are fast. Kyler is going to need to be decisive when running the football.
I wonder how different Murray would be with Andy Reid
I'd love to see Kyler with Reid's play calling and speed at WR. However, I'd probably like to have seen Rosen with McVay and the Rams wrs as well. Nothing we can do about it. Just gotta work with what we have.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I mean, it’s clearly not, but yea let’s move on.

You'd think he never really watched Vick by what he says. Murray pretty much out passed Vicks college career in one season.

The NFL has changed a ton since Vick played. Smaller, faster defenders. He wouldnt be half as dynamic as he was in the open field.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
You'd think he never really watched Vick by what he says. Murray pretty much out passed Vicks college career in one season.

The NFL has changed a ton since Vick played. Smaller, faster defenders. He wouldnt be half as dynamic as he was in the open field.
The smaller faster part is very true. Much more common for teams to have a 5-6 DBs on the field these days and even a lot of the LBs are extremely athletic these days as well. Hell even some of the 300 lb D-lineman are freak athletes as well. While I do think Vick was a little faster than Kyler is I don't think he would be all that much more effective as a runner today than Murray.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Watch the three straight plays starting at 2:33. Vick did things no on else could do but never fully put it together. His arm wasn’t human.

Fun to look back at.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think clay was having the same thoughts..

Watch the three straight plays starting at 2:33. Vick did things no on else could do but never fully put it together. His arm wasn’t human.

Fun to look back at.

Yea that Clay throw was a rocket. Regular/open wr but it was thrown on a line (I expect him to loft it) like Rodgers does sometimes.

Does any one have Next Gen Stats for QB MPH runs this week? I'm curious what Kyler hit on the run end the half and at the end of the game.

I still think his choppy running style plays a part in him getting caught as well. He's got the change of direction, burst, but it takes him a few more steps than others to hit that 2nd gear.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Looking at the highlights...This offense looked like Kyler at Oklahoma.

2 RBs and the QB all picking up yards on the ground. Throws off play action that leave guys open over the middle. A few wheel route throws down the sideline.

Kliff running the OU offense > Texas Tech offense.

The only thing missing is a vertical threat to take deep shots too. Well that and better execution in the redzone.

I told @Harry we can win games if we convert to a running team. Now this was the hopeless Bengals. Kyler is going to have to play better vs. the Falcons. However, I think we can play the exact same way vs. the Giants...

3-3-1 is not out of the realm of possibilty...

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I still think his choppy running style plays a part in him getting caught as well. He's got the change of direction, burst, but it takes him a few more steps than others to hit that 2nd gear.
I think the choppy running style will keep him injury free imo. I like it. It keeps him compact and able to make quick decisions... But his height also just makes it look like that. He could have short legs, compared to his overall frame .. I was a pretty quick dude as well when I was younger and had that whole short leg issue that made my speed look choppy.. so the speed is there but the optics make it look otherwise. Imo

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like how calm and in control he is in pressure situations. No one is talking about the play at the end of the first how he got the team lined up and spiked it with one second left. It got us three points that turned out to be crucial. And it is a situation where even vet QBs screw it up, much less a rookie.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Also in fairness Marcus Mariota is another 4.5 guy...very cerebal (more than Vick) yet...just seems like a guy.

When people were upset about Kyler early it wasn't that I was worried he'd bust. Its worried he might be like Mariota. Inconsistent and not a TD maker.

Guys like Russell WIlson just know how to put up Tds. He did that in a conservative offense for years. Like I said though I have seen signs from Kyler today though.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Kyler currently is 16th in QBR (so middle of the pack) at 51.2.

He's currently on pace for 4237 yards passing 13 tds/13 ints 659 yards rushing 6 tds

He's averaging 81 yards rushing a game when he has at least 8 carries.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

He's currently on pace for 4237 yards passing 13 tds/13 ints 659 yards rushing 6 tds

Sick ..and hes just going to get better lol

OP
OP
Crimson Warrior

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Looking at the highlights...This offense looked like Kyler at Oklahoma.

2 RBs and the QB all picking up yards on the ground. Throws off play action that leave guys open over the middle. A few wheel route throws down the sideline.

Kliff running the OU offense > Texas Tech offense.

The only thing missing is a vertical threat to take deep shots too. Well that and better execution in the redzone.

I told @Harry we can win games if we convert to a running team. Now this was the hopeless Bengals. Kyler is going to have to play better vs. the Falcons. However, I think we can play the exact same way vs. the Giants...

3-3-1 is not out of the realm of possibilty...

Yesterday's game was eerily similar to several 2018 OU games, right down to the bad defense and the near perfect run/pass balance.

And you're also right about our lack of a deep threat.

We need a YAC guy. I don't care if its a WR, a TE, a Fullback, whoever. For god's sake give me someone who can run away from the defense once he catches the ball.

Kirk isn't bad, and Fitz does great bulling people over on those WR screens, but I have to wonder if we're near the bottom of the league in YAC by WRs. So jealous of the cowboys watching amari cooper spinning and breaking tackles on that long touchdown catch vs. GB.

Last edited:

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yesterday's game was eerily similar to several 2018 OU games, right down to the bad defense and the near perfect run/pass balance.

And your also right about our lack of a deep threat.

We need a YAC guy. I don't care if its a WR, a TE, a Fullback, whoever. For god's sake give me someone who can run away from the defense once he catches the ball.

Kirk isn't bad, and Fitz does great bulling people over on those WR screens, but I have to wonder if were near the bottom of the league in YAC by WRs. So jealous of the cowboys watching amari cooper spinning and breaking tackles on that long touchdown catch vs. GB.
Heck, I'd take Michael Gallup. He's the downfield threat. A guy who can go up and snatch the football and bulldoze people into the endzone.

He's averaging over 100 yards a game. I didn't see this coming though. Wouldn't have guessed he'd be better than Kirk during draft time.

I was a D.K Metcalf fan though..

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly as the announcer said yesterday, Kyler doesn't want to run this much but he has to in order to move the chains. We have no deep threat so teams are playing up on us and there just isn't a ton of separation by Wr's. So Kyler moving around is helping. He did a nice job yesterday on a few plays hanging in the pocket and then hitting someone but for the most part we don't see too often where the primary guy is just open, and when someone is very open it's usualy a scheme thing more than just someone beating their man. We need an OL and a DL too but man would a WR like Jeudy open up this offense next year for Kyler.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Honestly as the announcer said yesterday, Kyler doesn't want to run this much but he has to in order to move the chains. We have no deep threat so teams are playing up on us and there just isn't a ton of separation by Wr's. So Kyler moving around is helping. He did a nice job yesterday on a few plays hanging in the pocket and then hitting someone but for the most part we don't see too often where the primary guy is just open, and when someone is very open it's usualy a scheme thing more than just someone beating their man. We need an OL and a DL too but man would a WR like Jeudy open up this offense next year for Kyler.

As long as he's protecting himself he should. He's gotta make a decision....sit back and get sacked or run see defenders coming/know when to get down.

He did a good job against the Bengals although there isn't a lot of speed on that defense.

What got us in trouble against the Panthers was he turned the ball over/they scored off turnovers. Forcing us to do nothing but throw and they got after us.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as he's protecting himself he should. He's gotta make a decision....sit back and get sacked or run see defenders coming/know when to get down.

He did a good job against the Bengals although there isn't a lot of speed on that defense.

What got us in trouble against the Panthers was he turned the ball over/they scored off turnovers. Forcing us to do nothing but throw and they got after us.

Agreed since he started running more it's opened up the run game so much for DJ and now Chase. The passing game is helped too but we just don't have the guys to exploit it.

It's too bad we traded so much to get Rosen and then didn't get near as much back in return, I still like Josh but clearly Murray is better and it would sure be nice now to have those picks back to help stock the roster for Murray. That's another reason why Isabella not being ready is so problematic, he was the 2nd rounder we got for Josh.

The pick next year has to be best guy available but it also IMO has to be between OL, WR or DL based on at least for now who's likely in the draft. I don't see a LB good enough to pick that high

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Should be noted that Lamar has a few yards less passing, but over 100 yards rushing more (on pace for 1000)
Agreed since he started running more it's opened up the run game so much for DJ and now Chase. The passing game is helped too but we just don't have the guys to exploit it.

It's too bad we traded so much to get Rosen and then didn't get near as much back in return, I still like Josh but clearly Murray is better and it would sure be nice now to have those picks back to help stock the roster for Murray. That's another reason why Isabella not being ready is so problematic, he was the 2nd rounder we got for Josh.

The pick next year has to be best guy available but it also IMO has to be between OL, WR or DL based on at least for now who's likely in the draft. I don't see a LB good enough to pick that high
I hate to be that guy...cause its still too early..

I almost rather have Josh right now than Isabella.

We could probably trade him to one of these QB needy teams for a couple of picks (I assume he would have looked good in preseason under Kliff as well)

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure the point here. Every football team has weaknesses. You play to your strengths and cover your weaknesses. Kyler Murray busting open runs from time to time makes everything else run better. The offense is coming along. Its the defense, particularly the interior d line that is the problem here. Of course having Peterson back would help too. We might actually have another win if he was playing.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Should be noted that Lamar has a few yards less passing, but over 100 yards rushing more (on pace for 1000)

I hate to be that guy...cause its still too early..

I almost rather have Josh right now than Isabella.

We could probably trade him to one of these QB needy teams for a couple of picks (I assume he would have looked good in preseason under Kliff as well)

I think the optics would have been horrible. Josh is a good guy but he's also outspoken, he would have been very unhappy sitting behind Murray and it probably would have been made public enough his value might be diminished because he's known to be unhappy.

But yeah there are a few teams who could definitely use Josh right now. For him I'd like to see him end up in Minnesota, Pittsburgh or the Chargers. Ben and Rivers are getting towards the end of their careers, Chargers are home for him, Pittsburgh and Minnesota have the right system in place where he wouldn't be asked to win games by himself.

I hate to keep crapping on Andy it's not his fault we picked him that high but it's just a huge deal for this team right now that a 2nd round draft pick WR is behind Cooper, Johnson, Sherfield, Byrd and quite frankly David Johnson at Wr right now.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson