Kyler Murray Rookie of the Year Watch:

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What do you think has to happen for KM to win rookie of the year? Minshew is a media darling right now but Kyler is asked to do more with less and he still has better stats then Gardner. Do you see other rookies right now that could push for offensive ROY?

11 Kyler Murray ARI QB 126 201 62.7 40.2 1,324 6.6 264.8 4 4 62 30.8 54 19 4 21 80.1

13 Gardner Minshew JAX QB 110 165 66.7 33.0 1,279 7.8 255.8 9 1 58 35.2 69 18 1 12 105.6

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
What do you think has to happen for KM to win rookie of the year? Minshew is a media darling right now but Kyler is asked to do more with less and he still has better stats then Gardner. Do you see other rookies right now that could push for offensive ROY?

11 Kyler Murray ARI QB 126 201 62.7 40.2 1,324 6.6 264.8 4 4 62 30.8 54 19 4 21 80.1

13 Gardner Minshew JAX QB 110 165 66.7 33.0 1,279 7.8 255.8 9 1 58 35.2 69 18 1 12 105.6

How does Kyler have better stats? Minshew has a higher completion %, more YPA, more TDs, less INTs and a higher rating. Kyler gets him on rushing yards.

I do think by the end of the season Murray will have better overall numbers though but hard not to be impressed with a 6th round pick playing as well as Minshew has.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Gardner is ahead right now...... As with most things....... that too will change.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Daniel Jones will also be a media darling if he does well.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I'm not hating on the kid, because I love how he's rocking this chance he's getting.

But I think Minshew lost three fumbles yesterday. That pretty much doomed his team.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I'm not hating on the kid, because I love how he's rocking this chance he's getting.

But I think Minshew lost three fumbles yesterday. That pretty much doomed his team.
He's fumbled the ball a total of 7 times this year. While Murray needs to continue to improve in the INT department he has turned the ball over less than either Minshew or Jones and that is because he isn't fumbling.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Win some more games. Signature wins, not barely holding on against the MASH unit Bengals with under two minutes to go.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Win some more games. Signature wins, not barely holding on against the MASH unit Bengals with under two minutes to go.
Barely holding on? The man set his team up with a 23-9 lead with just minutes left in the 4th quarter. If the defense wasn't completely useless in that 4th quarter this would have been a comfortable win.

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I agree - lets beat someone besides the Bengals - like the Falcons or Niners.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree - lets beat someone besides the Bengals - like the Falcons or Niners.
Falcons aren’t a good team so some people won’t be happy even if we do win.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can't wait to see your progression with this situation over the coming years. ;)

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'll be ecstatic. I expect them to crush us with our defense.
But it’s arguably the worst defense we’ll go against. Even worse than the Bengals’ defense. We might have a Big 12 shootout on our hands.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gardner is ahead right now...... As with most things....... that too will change.
Agreed. If we get Peterson back and the defense can hold its own it will garner some more attention his way and hopefully some wins.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Barely holding on? The man set his team up with a 23-9 lead with just minutes left in the 4th quarter. If the defense wasn't completely useless in that 4th quarter this would have been a comfortable win.
It's still the Bengals, and a winless team. Let him do this against a team that isn't staring down the first overall pick.

Listen, I don't want to take anything away from the guy, he did what he needed to do and had a gutty performance. But it's still one of the worst teams in the league with a ton of injuries, and he's not proving very well that he can actually throw TDs in the red zone.

I'm not handing out any Rookie of the Year accolades until he can show that. Gardner Minshew has 9 passing TDs to Kyler's total of 6, only 4 passing. Josh Jacobs has 8 TDs.

Kyler's moving the ball but not scoring in situations where he should. I'm not sure why it's wild of me to expect him to start actually throwing TDs before I say he's an ROY candidate. Is it something I'm just supposed to say because I'm a fan again?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But it’s arguably the worst defense we’ll go against. Even worse than the Bengals’ defense. We might have a Big 12 shootout on our hands.
if we can start throwing touchdowns. Either Kyler isnt willing to risk the pick or coaches cutesy play calls are killing us.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It's still the Bengals, and a winless team. Let him do this against a team that isn't staring down the first overall pick.

Listen, I don't want to take anything away from the guy, he did what he needed to do and had a gutty performance. But it's still one of the worst teams in the league with a ton of injuries, and he's not proving very well that he can actually throw TDs in the red zone.

I'm not handing out any Rookie of the Year accolades until he can show that. Gardner Minshew has 9 passing TDs to Kyler's total of 6, only 4 passing. Josh Jacobs has 8 TDs.

Kyler's moving the ball but not scoring in situations where he should. I'm not sure why it's wild of me to expect him to start actually throwing TDs before I say he's an ROY candidate. Is it something I'm just supposed to say because I'm a fan again?
I have no issue with you not feeling he is the offensive rookie of the year at the moment. I just take exception to unrealistic comments such as that he "barely hung on to win". That is not how that game unfolded at all. It's not like they went up 23-9 at like halftime and then did nothing until the end of the game after the Bengals tied it up. Kyler led the team to a 23-9 lead with 7 minutes left in the 4th and then the defense completely folded like a cheap tent right after that.

Yes we still need to do better in the RZ and some of that is on Kyler, but as much if not more at fault is the fact that he has little receiver talent, a head coach that is making some poor play calls in the RZ and as a whole the team is committing way too many penalties. Sure if we score on 1-2 more of those 6 RZ trips we win that game comfortably, but we do the same if the defense could offer any resistance in the final 7 minutes of the game.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He is not a ROY candidate right now IMO. Not at all. He is an upgrade for us and doing well but not ROY well.

Not even OROY well.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Problem is that they will most likely gash us while we will have some drives end due to our youth. Mistakes kill the young. Meanwhile they have a former MVP, almost Super Bowl MVP and the best WR in the league.

They really match up well against us. Really well.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I have no issue with you not feeling he is the offensive rookie of the year at the moment. I just take exception to unrealistic comments such as that he "barely hung on to win". That is not how that game unfolded at all. It's not like they went up 23-9 at like halftime and then did nothing until the end of the game after the Bengals tied it up. Kyler led the team to a 23-9 lead with 7 minutes left in the 4th and then the defense completely folded like a cheap tent right after that.

Yes we still need to do better in the RZ and some of that is on Kyler, but as much if not more at fault is the fact that he has little receiver talent, a head coach that is making some poor play calls in the RZ and as a whole the team is committing way too many penalties. Sure if we score on 1-2 more of those 6 RZ trips we win that game comfortably, but we do the same if the defense could offer any resistance in the final 7 minutes of the game.
Okay, "we" barely hung on to win. But still, 23-16 and we end up with a Delay of Game, and then go incomplete 2/3 plays to give the ball back to Cincinnati. Some of that has to go on Kliff, but we didn't convert and killed a whopping 27 seconds of game clock on offense. The defense has to step up, but pretending like some of that isn't on our offense being inept when it really counted is an issue.

This isn't struggling to go ahead when we're playing decent teams. Gotta execute there.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
When you say, "listen, I don't want to take anything away from the guy." I think you already have. You guys always have a "but" in there somewhere:shrug:.

You lost me with all those numbers you posted after the completion percentage:).

I haven't seen Kyle Allen's name mentioned. Isn't he a rookie, or no?