Kyler Murray entering Draft

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
2nd or 3rd round feedback. If my old brain cells still remember correctly, that's the grade Patrick Mahomes got when he declared.

KK has his QB!

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
And his name is Josh Rosen.
I thought KK is on record saying with the 1st overall pick he'd pick Kyler Murray! What more do we need to know. KK loves him some Kyler. Right now it seems ridiculous, but wait a couple of months for the hype train to roll into town!

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought KK is on record saying with the 1st overall pick he'd pick Kyler Murray! What more do we need to know. KK loves him some Kyler. Right now it seems ridiculous, but wait a couple of months for the hype train to roll into town!

Sure he said that last October when it was irrelevant.

Now it's for real and he has stated clearly that Josh is his QB!

Hype won't add inches to Murray's height and he has a 2nd, 3rd round grade.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

That was an out of context quote...he was just praising an opponent. Most scouts see Murray as a second-third rounder but due to his position he will be overdrafted, no way do we waste a first or second round pick on a QB under 5’ 10”, there is zero history of QBs that size being successful. Wilson and Brees are both taller and both had a ton more snaps as a College QB.

Reaction score

That was from an interview in October when his team was about to play against him. It's much ado about nothing.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's pretty damn good being a top ten pick in baseball is a big deal.

I think he's using the NFL for leverage I think he goes baseball at the end of the day
Billy Beane can bump the contract. This is Scott Boros being Scott Boros. Selling his clients at an over market price.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Kyler Murray will now get feedback from NFL scouts regarding his draft position and many scouts estimate he’ll be a 2nd or 3rd round pick. He also has millions from baseball waiting for him. Big decision still looms.

When Patrick Mahomes sought feedback from same source he was told he was no better than a 3rd round choice. How'd that turn out? Owners and GMs are not necessarily "NFL scouts" and are known to do irrational stuff.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was from an interview in October when his team was about to play against him. It's much ado about nothing.

That was just coach talk. If you ever listened to Lou Holtz, or even Nick Saban more recently, they always talk like the next opponent could easily be #1 in the nation even if they are 1-5 and have no chance to beat an elite team. KK was just trying to make the remote possibility of an upset look as good as possible.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Don't jump the gun you all. The predraft process is one crazy animal. Murray is a much better passer than Lamar Jackson and the same athlete, probably even shiftier. Even Lamar went in the 1st. Size is an issue, but not having long legs and having a compact body style can also prevent injuries. If Murray is indeed just 5'9 then being at 200 lbs is fine. He will be so tough to tackle with such a low center of gravity never seen in a QB before. You just have to put him into a scheme like Shanahan's for example, where you do lots of play fakes, rollouts, put the QB on the move. This would erase most of the throwing lane issues. Also a basic reead option package is installed in a hurry and gets good results immediately, just like the Ravens did.

The Raiders hold three 1st round picks and I could easily see them risking a 1st on Murray. Honestly even their 3rd overall pick. They are moving to Vegas. They need some excitement. They could use Murray immediately like the Ravens used Jackson early on, and make sure Murray is ready when they hit Vegas. Gruden is absolutely crazy enough to pull this off and I would be a huge fan of the move.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Don't jump the gun you all. The predraft process is one crazy animal. Murray is a much better passer than Lamar Jackson and the same athlete, probably even shiftier. Even Lamar went in the 1st. Size is an issue, but not having long legs and having a compact body style can also prevent injuries. If Murray is indeed just 5'9 then being at 200 lbs is fine. He will be so tough to tackle with such a low center of gravity never seen in a QB before. You just have to put him into a scheme like Shanahan's for example, where you do lots of play fakes, rollouts, put the QB on the move. This would erase most of the throwing lane issues. Also a basic reead option package is installed in a hurry and gets good results immediately, just like the Ravens did.

The Raiders hold three 1st round picks and I could easily see them risking a 1st on Murray. Honestly even their 3rd overall pick. They are moving to Vegas. They need some excitement. They could use Murray immediately like the Ravens used Jackson early on, and make sure Murray is ready when they hit Vegas. Gruden is absolutely crazy enough to pull this off and I would be a huge fan of the move.

Lamar Jackson is also 6`1 and 210 LBs.Dwarf QBs don`t do well in the NFL.I will be shocked if Murray even has a Doug Flutie type career or Eddie LeBaron.

OP
OP
PACardsFan

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lamar Jackson is also 6`1 and 210 LBs.Dwarf QBs don`t do well in the NFL.I will be shocked if Murray even has a Doug Flutie type career or Eddie LeBaron.

I'm not sure that enough of you have watched this kid if you're drawing comparisons to Lamar Jackson, Doug Flutie, or Eddie LeBaron. The comparison to Flutie did make me chuckle. In a 40, Flutie would still be 20 yards away, when Murray crossed the line. And I'm talking about Flutie in his prime. Murray is significantly more accurate than Lamar ever could be. And I actually like Lamar Jackson. I think we're kidding ourselves if we don't think this kid is a top 10 pick. With Rosen onboard, and the overall needs we have, I wouldn't take him at 1. But, I do think this kid is special, and whoever takes him will benefit mightily. He has more wiggle and acceleration than any QB I've ever seen. Can he stay healthy?? Given his size, that's the overwhelming question. He's a freak though.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Let's see how Murray does at the Combine.

I think maybe the thing that ultimately elevated Mayfield to the #1 pick was the kid's indomitable spirit. Mayfield's last breath will be drawn trying to win, and I think that's a big turn on for GM's and coaches.

Murray has shown signs of that same will to fight. To win. I think the necessary drive is there. Down by 21 at the start of the 4th Qtr vs. UT, the kid literally willed OU back into a tie with the longhorns. He made play, after play, after play. It was astounding.

And, generally, he's clutch too. I think even more clutch than Mayfield. Making big plays in big moments of games. (e.g 3rd and eight, two minutes to go, in tie game, or down by seven, and he calmly went through his reads, and then made a good throw). He did that multiple, multiple times. The exception was the AL game, where the entire OU team looked like a deer in the headlights for the first 15 minutes.

Where I'm going is that Mayfield had intangibles, as well as talent. Intangibles that are necessary to succeed in the NFL. We had three years to watch Baker, and so by the end of his college career, it was obvious the kid had the right attitude, and mental approach to the game, and this was a big reason the Browns went all in for him.

With the relatively small sample size, I'm not completely sure that Murray those same things. I think he does though, but that maybe he just more quiet than Mayfield.

Last edited:

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure that enough of you have watched this kid if you're drawing comparisons to Lamar Jackson, Doug Flutie, or Eddie LeBaron. The comparison to Flutie did make me chuckle. In a 40, Flutie would still be 20 yards away, when Murray crossed the line. And I'm talking about Flutie in his prime. Murray is significantly more accurate than Lamar ever could be. And I actually like Lamar Jackson. I think we're kidding ourselves if we don't think this kid is a top 10 pick. With Rosen onboard, and the overall needs we have, I wouldn't take him at 1. But, I do think this kid is special, and whoever takes him will benefit mightily. He has more wiggle and acceleration than any QB I've ever seen. Can he stay healthy?? Given his size, that's the overwhelming question. He's a freak though.

While Jackson has had some NFL success (an I am a big Jackson fan) I think there will be more passing and a little less running next season for LJ.I think hoping and thinki9ng a 5`9 190 QB will be top 10 is nonsense.You can`t coach size.What`s he going to do....roll out every play? This is the NFl...teams have already schemed for Jackson causing Baltimore to change gameplans.As for being more accurate than Jackson ever will be... I doub that...….

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Kyler Murray is much more accurate than Lamar Jackson. Murray is the better natural passer.

The reason I wouldn't draft Kyler Murray with a top selection is actually not his size. You have to take some risks to succeed. We took the risk with KK, which I like. Taking a risk on a 5-9 or 5-10 QB wouldn't be any more significant. We already broke the rules of common sense in hiring KK.

What would put me off Murray is his possible baseball career. This guy got legit MLB star potential. Jameis or Russ were known for being good baseball players, but this guy is taking it to another level. So what do you do if his heart isn't in the game of football anymore? What if he checks out after his first, second or third concussion? You can make him sign any paper that you want regarding putting baseball away, but you can't force him to be a QB in the NFL if he doesn't want to. Maybe that's not an immediate question, but it could easily be 3 or 4 years from now.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
So he measured under 5`10...I wonder how he measures at the combine.

Has Murray done something personal to you to make you not like him sir?

How many more times are you going to type that a sub 5-10 QB can't succeed in the NFL? We've got your point BW52.

Last edited:

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I know one thing. He won't be pulling a Jackson by refusing to run at the combine. He'll do everything he can to inflate his value to both NFL and MLB.