Kyler Murray Contract Extended

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come on Russ if he plays well enough to “live up” to this contract he will want more sooner regardless and we all know it. Waiting 4 months didn’t change that. No way no how. He will be clamoring for more with 2 years left and possibly 3.

The 2nd sentence of mine said essentially that.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I said, even right after the playoff loss, that was the time to extend. There was never a doubt it would happen, so waiting certainly would mean paying more.

But, it's not my money and I don't cheer for salary cap management.

My biggest concern was always alienating Murray and other key players and I'm hopeful they avoided that.

It's not a guarantee it's certainly possible that Kyler doesn't become a top 5 Qb and we regret this but he's the best young QB this franchise has had since Lomax and I was really concerned we were going to piss that away so I'm glad we didn't.

Now hopefully we'll improve the OL next year.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I had a very specific dream last night.

Kyler accepted a deal with this structure.
8 years
320mm (40mm aav) with escalators up to 350mm (43.75). Puts him in the Stafford, Carr, Prescott area for aav.
235mm guaranteed. Basically the 1st 6 years of the deal.

We got a workable yearly number. He got the largest guarantee in NFL history.

I'm hopeful.

My dream wasn't horribly far off. Maybe it was. :shrug:

I'm good here. Would have been happier at 43mm per year but maybe they didn't want to go longer money knowing what Pat may be leaving on the table in years 6, 7, or 8.

Still...... I'm good with this.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not really. It reads as though had we wrapped him up months ago like Chris wanted then he would likely
Want more sooner. That’s gonna happen no matter what.

If Keim writes the contract correctly it will be large upfront guaranteed money and the final two years will be little guaranteed. This way you can get off it if he doesn't live up to it or you can reduce his cap hit by folding in bonuses / extensions. Kyler gets his money faster (and maybe more), team is protected

I want to be clear though that Keim hasn't proven proficient at that. He signs guys so even at the end of the contract cutting them is onerous.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you mean made up. There we no numbers in Burkhardt's communications. The $40m number I thought was invented here? If not by some local media guy.

No the agents first offer was leaked. It's why it's being reported again.

Take your L and stop with the contrariness

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looked. Can't find a single official comm or tweet mentioning $40m being on the table.

Only speculation here about "What he's worth" or "What would you pay Kyler?"
Uhh it was right there in the Manifesto sent out by his agent:
You must be registered for see images attach

:biglaugh:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
"Kyler Murray is here to stay" from the Cardinals' Facebook page... happy the Cards and their QB got this out of the way, and will give the other teams their all-new brand of headaches trying to sign their guys for even a higher salary :)
You must be registered for see images attach

Reaction score
Hummm… I’d like to see the terms of this contract. Is it paid out $46.1 million per year or does it start low and builds over time? When does the guaranteed money run out. (As soon as guaranteed $$ runs out, I’ll bet Kyler is asking for new contract.) But, man, I wouldn’t have offered up this contract at this point in Cardinal’s history. I just don’t see Kyler as the second highest paid QB in the NFL. Two reasons: 1) Too many other needs on the team to empty the bank on 1 player, 2) Kyler hasn’t shown on the field that he’s a great QB, worthy of this contract. He’s good, but not great.
Murray became the first player in NFL history with 70 or more passing touchdowns and 20 or more rushing touchdowns in his first three seasons. His 66.86 completion percentage is the best in league history in a player’s first three years and his 1,057 completions are the second-most in league history in a player’s first three seasons.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Looked. Can't find a single official comm or tweet mentioning $40m being on the table.

Only speculation here about "What he's worth" or "What would you pay Kyler?"
Anything you find "reported" anyway, is just from his agents. There is no official document floating around with actual numbers or terms. Like I mentioned earlier, even if the $$ amount was a tad lower in February, maybe the terms were garbage, making it a terrible deal for the team.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I'll admit a little bit of ignorance as to how the numbers truly affect us, given potential salary cap increases down the road, but I really dislike that this guy railroaded us into an extension so early that makes him the second highest paid player in the NFL, when he's proven next to nothing and his attitude has seemed questionable. Mahomes deserved an extension the second he was eligible because he'd already won a Super Bowl. It shouldn't just be a given for QBs to get these mega deals three years in just because they were pretty good and drafted early.

I guess it's time to get ready for years and years of my least favorite trio this team has had in a long while.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take your L? hahaha Because agents are always super truthful and forthcoming to the media...hahahaha Whatever.

I have been 100% correct the entire time despite all the pushback. I got the final numbers within less than a million. Contrarian with me is a big fat L

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard