Kyler is a fraud.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
The team would never bring in a player with so many off-the-field issues as Watson. Period.
Don't be so sure. I'm sure they would've taken Ben Roethlisberger a few back. Also, Watson hasn't been charged by the police with anything as of yet, only civil lawsuits, but that may change by the end of the month.

Besides, whoever does trade for Watson, all will be forgotten after his first big game and win for his new team. That's just how it is.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s almost like the league saw the tricks he added to his bag in the offseason, accounted for them, and Kyler was unwilling or unable to adapt.

I don't even think it's that. Kyler pretty much took his legs away in the first 8 games. He rushed for 18 yards per game, mostly in the red zone. He had 3 rushing TD's in the first 3 games then none outside the Chicago game.

I can't see anything defensively that teams did to take away what he was doing well. Which was making good decisions and throwing very accurate balls.

The main difference I can see between pre injury Kyler and post injury Kyler was he was much more confident in the pocket pre injury. He sat back there much more and went through his reads. Post injury it's much more snap, 1st read, bang for 4 yards. Old Kyler. And much more skittish, bailing out sideways when he doesn't need to.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
In a game that was already decided with a teammate who could be down paralyzed on the field? Come on…
I’m not condoning it as much as commenting on the fact that kylers talk hear while for some unknown reason McCoy is skating. Weird to me.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I just don't get Kyler this year.

He was a top 3 QB in weeks 1-8. He played amazing. His passing accuracy, his reading of defenses, his audibles. Everything looked like he had taken a huge leap.

Then from week 13 to 18 he was last years Kyler. Accuracy fell off, reading defenses was piss poor, he seemed to have stopped audibles or got them wrong. It was like watching 2 different players.
Usually when you see such a disparate change it’s due to something tangible. I wonder, given kliff’s history, if teams adapt to whatever he’s designed midway through a season and he just can’t counter. Kyler was decisive early in the season but held the ball a looong time the second half of the season. He couldn’t find his guys. Maybe defensed figured out kliff’s offense and learned how to force kyler into running backward out of his protection for disastrous sacks.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I think if defenses adjusted it becomes the offensive genius coach’s job to tweak things.

I've been thinking about it, and I don't think it's too much more complicated than K1 didn't have anybody but Kirk and Ertz to throw to after Dhop went down, and he got as much out of those two as he could.

We need Dhop to come back healthy, and we need a legit WR2 along with Kirk, or another legit WR3. Keep Ertz and try to get Maxx back to 100%. That will go a long way towards maximizing Kyler's talent.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about it, and I don't think it's too much more complicated than K1 didn't have anybody but Kirk and Ertz to throw to after Dhop went down, and he got as much out of those two as he could.

We need Dhop to come back healthy, and we need a legit WR2 along with Kirk, or another legit WR3. Keep Ertz and try to get Maxx back to 100%. That will go a long way towards maximizing Kyler's talent.

I thought the Air Raid offense had all kinds of passing options in it. It sure didn't look like it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I saw people constantly open; Kliff can’t force Kyler to pass to the open guy.
I guess it’s no ones job to teach a QB how to read a pro defense or go through progressions. Kyler always looked 100% prepared! Terrific job Kliff! Like keim said, you’re coach of the year in my book!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yet Colt McCoy had one of the greatest games any Cardinals QB has ever had, and another sterling performance on top of that, leading two road victories with games of:

35-44, 328 yards, 2 TDs and 0 INTs @SF

and...

22-26, 248 yards, 1 TD and 0 INT @Seattle...

...with the same exact weapons that Kyler did.

Actually... with less because he didn't have Chase in either game.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

So that's just a blanket excuse for everybody? smh

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
So that's just a blanket excuse for everybody? smh

I'm not saying something else isn't broken with the offense, or the team overall. I'm just not sure what that "something" is. Is it play-calling? Leadership? Game planning? K1 not working hard enough? K1 acting immature? VJ's overall scheme? Lack of talent? These are all possible, and we can hypothesize which one (or ones) is (are), in addition to key injuries, responsible for the collapse. But at the end of the day, I don't think you and I can be sure Stout.

My point in my response to Ouchie was that, in my opinion, you can fix 90% of Kyler's problems by getting Dhop back on the field, and maybe adding a little better option than AJ at the WR2 position. Wesley and Green are too inconsistent.

Stout

Reaction score
I'm not saying something else isn't broken with the offense, or the team overall. I'm just not sure what that "something" is. Is it play-calling? Leadership? Game planning? K1 not working hard enough? K1 acting immature? VJ's overall scheme? Lack of talent? These are all possible, and we can hypothesize which one (or ones) is (are), in addition to key injuries, responsible for the collapse. But at the end of the day, I don't think you and I can be sure Stout.

My point in my response to Ouchie was that, in my opinion, you can fix 90% of Kyler's problems by getting Dhop back on the field, and maybe adding a little better option than AJ at the WR2 position. Wesley and Green are too inconsistent.
I will unequivocally disagree with this. KYLER has to fix Kyler at this point, and with competent coaching; his absolute and complete meltdowns to finish the season and in the playoffs, and his regression in development, can't just be explained by the absence of just 1 player and need to upgrade at another position. That will certainly help him, but he needs coaching and a giant dollop of self-awareness to move forward.

For the rest, I can see where you're coming from, not being entirely sure what the "something" is. I think there are problems with all of those areas that you are questioning, and that it's not just one something.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I think if defenses adjusted it becomes the offensive genius coach’s job to tweak things.
It’s alarming how Kyler is rarely, if ever under center. Wolf tossed out the possibility yesterday, that perhaps Kyler refuses to go under center. And what is Kliff supposed to do - bench him?
If there is even the slightest bit of fact to that, this team is more F’d than I had feared…

Stout

Reaction score
It’s alarming how Kyler is rarely, if ever under center. Wolf tossed out the possibility yesterday, that perhaps Kyler refuses to go under center. And what is Kliff supposed to do - bench him?
If there is even the slightest bit of fact to that, this team is more F’d than I had feared…
Yes. Yes, that is EXACTLY what you do. You don't just let the QB say "Eff you, I'm doing what I want." And if benching him hurts KM's poor wittle ego, then he's not the guy anyway. I surely hope Wolf is wrong on that one. But then, if he is, that means KK isn't trying to put him under center more, which is worrisome all on its own.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I will unequivocally disagree with this. KYLER has to fix Kyler at this point, and with competent coaching; his absolute and complete meltdowns to finish the season and in the playoffs, and his regression in development, can't just be explained by the absence of just 1 player and need to upgrade at another position. That will certainly help him, but he needs coaching and a giant dollop of self-awareness to move forward.

For the rest, I can see where you're coming from, not being entirely sure what the "something" is. I think there are problems with all of those areas that you are questioning, and that it's not just one something.

Sorry but I disagree with you, and my proof is how well K1 performed this year with Dhop on the field. Murray was on fire right up until the GB game, when Dhop pulled up lame with the hamstring. Without Dhop, the WR Corp was way too inconsistent. Not hopeless, but much weaker, and also unreliable.

But wait, before you flame me, understand I'm definitely not saying Murray lived up to expectations the last six games of the season, and he deserves some of the blame for the collapse.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry but I disagree with you, and my proof is how well K1 performed this year with Dhop on the field. Murray was on fire right up until the GB game, when Dhop pulled up lame with the hamstring. Without Dhop, the WR Corp was way too inconsistent. Not hopeless, but much weaker, and also unreliable.

But wait, before you flame me, understand I'm definitely not saying Murray lived up to expectations the last six games of the season, and he deserves some of the blame for the collapse.
Good QB's in this league or the type of HOF QB everybody wants gets it done better than Kyler with what he has. Look at some of the HOF QBs. They have had #1 receivers in and out of lineups, leave teams and other guys come in. Sure loosing Dhop hurt but Kyler was missing wide open guys, making bad reads and lacked touch multiple times this entire back half he was in there. That's not because of missing Dhop or coaching.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Yeah I think your 90% is wishful thinking. And no good QB should become a shell of himself merely by losing his top weapon. And it’s interesting how the narrative around here changed from “AJ is a still a terrific #2” and “800 yards is great for a #2” to now “he stinks” and “he’s the reason why kyler is failing.” If I was one of those posters that likes to attack other posters I’d be creating a thread calling people out to eat crow about a bunch things about which they were attacking posters earlier in the season. But I’m not, because I didn’t like it then and I wouldn’t do it now.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Definitely not just one something. You don’t have a total meltdown as we did - and as we have done for three straight seasons - if it’s just one thing.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If a player refuses to go under center that’s a coaching issue. How many nfl players refuse to do an assignment? I’m going to guess it’s rare. And even more rare for the most successful at their position. Coach bro is just likely too bro.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

How do you explain kyler wilting down the stretch last year when Hopkins was fine?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Yes. Yes, that is EXACTLY what you do. You don't just let the QB say "Eff you, I'm doing what I want." And if benching him hurts KM's poor wittle ego, then he's not the guy anyway. I surely hope Wolf is wrong on that one. But then, if he is, that means KK isn't trying to put him under center more, which is worrisome all on its own.
I think we all know Murray would have to commit a federal crime in order to be benched... anything short of that, well...he's untouchable.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Good QB's in this league or the type of HOF QB everybody wants gets it done better than Kyler with what he has. Look at some of the HOF QBs. They have had #1 receivers in and out of lineups, leave teams and other guys come in. Sure loosing Dhop hurt but Kyler was missing wide open guys, making bad reads and lacked touch multiple times this entire back half he was in there. That's not because of missing Dhop or coaching.

Okay. Please tell us where on the following list are the QBs that you're referring to specifically:

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
How do you explain kyler wilting down the stretch last year when Hopkins was fine?

It's common knowledge that his throwing shoulder was injured during the last part of the 2020 season. I'm sure you know that as well as I do counselor.

Can I maybe save us some bandwidth and stipulate that K1 needs to be better under adversity, and in high-pressure situations? He's only 23. He can still grow as a person. As a leader.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave