Kurt Thomas

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Through 8 games this season KT is averaging 10.1 rpg in 22.5 mpg which is about .45 rebounds per minute. I miss that guy.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Since Collison had been out his rebounding skyrocketed and his FG% plummeted.

The only thing I really regret about the KT move was the two picks it took to move him. While Skinner cant do all the things KT did, his dollar for dollar production value is golden.

OP
OP
Bufalay

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
While Skinner cant do all the things KT did...

hmmm i thought you said can do all the things KT did. nevermind. yeah skinner is an awesome addition, but it'd be nice to have Kurt or Tim or Joe or Q or a draft pick or Deng or something other than Skinner.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was a Kurt fan no doubt. I think Kurt is a better rebounder but I think Skinner is a better defender. So it comes down to do you want more rebounding or better defense?

Then again, Skinner's playing time has been sporadic. I would like to see Skinner get regular playing time to see how he does when it's given to him.

Cautiously......I will say I would rather have Skinner right now....cautiously.

OP
OP
Bufalay

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I was a Kurt fan no doubt. I think Kurt is a better rebounder but I think Skinner is a better defender. So it comes down to do you want more rebounding or better defense?

Then again, Skinner's playing time has been sporadic. I would like to see Skinner get regular playing time to see how he does when it's given to him.

Cautiously......I will say I would rather have Skinner right now....cautiously.

Skinner is a better shot blocker (not better defended). He is also a better dunker (not better scorer).

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Skinner is a better shot blocker (not better defended). He is also a better dunker (not better scorer).

I also contend he is a better 1 on 1 defender. Kurt used to foul a TON. I loved Kurt's toughness but that always didn't translate into good "D". Plus Skinner can guard bigger guys that I though Kurt struggled with. To me that says better defender.

Never contended Skinner was a better offensive player. Kurt had that midrange jump shot going. However, we didn't need Skinner or Thomas for that matter to put up numbers. I will take the trade off. Would still love to have Kurt on this team though from a rebounding standpoint.

nowagimp

Reaction score
I also contend he is a better 1 on 1 defender. Kurt used to foul a TON. I loved Kurt's toughness but that always didn't translate into good "D". Plus Skinner can guard bigger guys that I though Kurt struggled with. To me that says better defender.

Never contended Skinner was a better offensive player. Kurt had that midrange jump shot going. However, we didn't need Skinner or Thomas for that matter to put up numbers. I will take the trade off. Would still love to have Kurt on this team though from a rebounding standpoint.

KT was a better post defender against guys like Yao, shaq, Duncan(the really good ones) as he did not let them get to their preferred spots as easily. KT was a way smarter player on the block, drew offensive fouls and would play the "push and no resistance game" to destabilize a big guy. KT's weakness was against quicker bigs like Howard, Randolph. Skinner does this better with his quicker feet, and blocks shots better. KT was a better rebounder, forget the stats, he knew how to box out alot better than skinner. No opponents could get to the rim, running from the perimeter for an offensive rebound with KT in there. KT goes for the block out FIRST, not the ball first like shawn, diaw, and amare(and to a lesser extent skinner). I like skinner for his ability to run, not to fatigue, block some shots. But when Tim Duncan(or Yao) comes into town, I'll be missing KT for sure. Glad to have skinner over some of the other stiffs the suns have had at center though.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
KT was a better post defender against guys like Yao, shaq, Duncan(the really good ones) as he did not let them get to their preferred spots as easily. KT was a way smarter player on the block, drew offensive fouls and would play the "push and no resistance game" to destabilize a big guy. KT's weakness was against quicker bigs like Howard, Randolph. Skinner does this better with his quicker feet, and blocks shots better. KT was a better rebounder, forget the stats, he knew how to box out alot better than skinner. No opponents could get to the rim, running from the perimeter for an offensive rebound with KT in there. KT goes for the block out FIRST, not the ball first like shawn, diaw, and amare(and to a lesser extent skinner). I like skinner for his ability to run, not to fatigue, block some shots. But when Tim Duncan(or Yao) comes into town, I'll be missing KT for sure. Glad to have skinner over some of the other stiffs the suns have had at center though.

First off we have not seen what Skinner can do against those guys since Skinners playing time has been sporadic. Second since when did Kurt play well against Duncan? Duncan worked Kurt down low. Sorry but Skinner couldn't do any worse.

I love Kurt Thomas for his smarts and toughness but I almost wish I could combine the two of them and make my own player. I could call him Skomas or Thinner. :D

nowagimp

Reaction score
First off we have not seen what Skinner can do against those guys since Skinners playing time has been sporadic. Second since when did Kurt play well against Duncan? Duncan worked Kurt down low. Sorry but Skinner couldn't do any worse.
:D

Actually it is widely acknowledged that KT did a better job against Duncan in the '07 playoffs than anyone else he faced including Nene and camby. I hope skinner can do the same, but already he had a lot of problems with yao, who KT just neutralized last year. With KT in the post, the suns defended Yao better than any team in the NBA last year including the spurs.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Kurt is doing well on the boards, but I would put good money on him getting injured again. I would guess he will play about 50-60 games this year, and when you get injured like he does there's no guarantee he will make the playoffs.

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
Widely acknowledged by who? The people in this board? Duncan torched Kurt Thomas just like everyone else.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Actually it is widely acknowledged that KT did a better job against Duncan in the '07 playoffs than anyone else he faced including Nene and camby. I hope skinner can do the same, but already he had a lot of problems with yao, who KT just neutralized last year. With KT in the post, the suns defended Yao better than any team in the NBA last year including the spurs.

The only thing concluded from KT guarding duncan was that he would still score a ton but we wouldnt have to double team him as much. His points skyrocketed by parker/ginoboli scored considerably less. This has been discussed mulitple times.

Duncan had considerably harder times with Camby and Ilgauskuas than KT. This has been discussed multiple times.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only thing concluded from KT guarding duncan was that he would still score a ton but we wouldnt have to double team him as much. His points skyrocketed by parker/ginoboli scored considerably less. This has been discussed mulitple times.

Duncan had considerably harder times with Camby and Ilgauskuas than KT. This has been discussed multiple times.

Agreed and since all roads lead through San Antonio, I would say that KT was not getting it done against Duncan. I don't think anybody can stop Duncan but if Skinner can manage a block or 2 or even keep Duncan honest...that's something.

nowagimp

Reaction score

I was not talking about the discussions on this board. I was talking about comments made by David Robinson and other NBA types. The bottom line is that when TD is doubled it makes the game so much esier for the rest of the spurs as was shown by the way they crushed the nuggests and cavs.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Duncan averaged 1.1 assists/game against the suns, 6 + assists/game against the nuggets. Defenses are more complicated than they appear on the surface. The spurs are at their best with the offense running through TD, this is why Tony parker has never averaged even 7 assists a game in his career, Duncan runs the offense and gets alot of easy baskets for his teammates. If you double TD, guys who cant even create their own shot -like Finley- will score 26 points like he did against the nuggets.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
KT's already missed 9 of his team's 18 games with injury.

nowagimp

Reaction score
KT's already missed 9 of his team's 18 games with injury.

Hell if I was playing for the sonics I'd want to miss all the games. No chance of the playoffs, they suck, and durant is chasing a scoring average for roy. Yeah and PJ is a buthole. Shaq missed the whole first half of the season the year he won the championship. I think he had a bruised thigh and a stubbed toe.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Duncan averaged 1.1 assists/game against the suns, 6 + assists/game against the nuggets. Defenses are more complicated than they appear on the surface. The spurs are at their best with the offense running through TD, this is why Tony parker has never averaged even 7 assists a game in his career, Duncan runs the offense and gets alot of easy baskets for his teammates. If you double TD, guys who cant even create their own shot -like Finley- will score 26 points like he did against the nuggets.

Right to the point. That's the main reason we need someone like KT and we don't need to worry about TD still scoring 30 on him for 50%. The aggregate result of that is the Spurs offense became less effective.

KT is so good at denying positions so that TD has to pass out of low post single-covered with no gain on offensive spacing. And this is not reflected on stats sheets. We lost the series in the end for lack of energy partially due to Amare and Diaw's dumb suspensions. Manu owned Bell after 2 games and we never had any solution to deal with Parker either.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Widely acknowledged by who? The people in this board? Duncan torched Kurt Thomas just like everyone else.
Duncan handled K.T. pretty well but having that luxory allowed Amare from fouling out in the 3rd qtr rather than just being in foul trouble in the 4th.
Kurt was an asset in the playoffs.
It remains to be seen how Skinner will fair in a slow-down tempo against the big boys.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Right to the point. That's the main reason we need someone like KT and we don't need to worry about TD still scoring 30 on him for 50%. The aggregate result of that is the Spurs offense became less effective.

KT is so good at denying positions so that TD has to pass out of low post single-covered with no gain on offensive spacing. And this is not reflected on stats sheets. We lost the series in the end for lack of energy partially due to Amare and Diaw's dumb suspensions. Manu owned Bell after 2 games and we never had any solution to deal with Parker either.

At least there is one guy here who gets it. When Tim Duncan puts alot of energy into scoring, the spurs are least effective. When he creates spacing with position and the doubleteam, the spurs will kill you as all those old guys who cant create their own shots(and manu) will be wide open. This is what coaches do to remove the effectiveness of playmakers, make them score, not create for others. Tim Duncan is a much better player when he gets others involved, alot like Nash, as they are both playmakers. Anyone who thinks that Duncan isnt his most effective as a playmaker just doesnt know about winning basketball. Avery wanted TD to score more, pass less, DA wanted him to pass less and got what he wanted, except for the suspensions.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
The Sonics should buy him out and the Suns should pick him up for depth in the playoffs. :)

I can dream right?

I also thought the Suns best chance to beat the Spurs was having Kurt on Duncan, because of the same reasons stated above. Not being forced to double team, and scramble on every possession helps the other Suns be able to stay on their man. When Duncan creates spacing, and gets good position, and you're forced off your man to help out on him, you're in trouble. Sure TD has success agaisnt the KT one on one, but the shots he was taking were not easy at all. That's when you just have to tip your cap to Duncan. I'll much rather see him take some of those off balance leaners than get all the way to the hoop or get fouled by Amare.

I'm interested to see how Skinner will play him.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Hell if I was playing for the sonics I'd want to miss all the games.
This is your serious response? He's in a rebounder's paradise, playing for a new contract, and you write off his faults as ennui?

Here's a guy who proved toothless as an enforcer because he was so obsessed with getting big minutes--the punchline there is, when he finally got the time he'd been saving himself for, he needed four days to recover afterwards--and you claim he's skipping games on purpose? A guy whose ineptness on offense allowed Duncan to guard both sides of the pick-and-roll in the second half of game 5, and you say he's shooting 'only' 43% this year because he's forced to take bad shots bailing out his teammates?

Mourn the first-round picks, absolutely, or that the Suns didn't try to re-sign Antonio McDyess back in 2004, but this Kurt Kult crap has become really old, really quick. Especially since Brian Skinner (who's very obviously four years younger) is currently giving the Suns every bit of what KT gave them in 2005 and 2006.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen