Knight Suffers ACL Tear

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bad Luck Brandon...

There goes any hope of moving him. At least he won't be a distraction now. Hopefully he can make a full and speedy recovery. He's got to be in a bad place right now.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Definitely opens up minutes at backup 2 guard for Davon Reed. Although I pretty much thought that would happen anyway.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Lol. All I can do is shake my head and laugh.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Luckily, we are under the cap, he doesn't hurt the bottom line, and he'll be off the bench and out of the locker room. We also don't have to give up a draft pick just to unload him. Silver lining.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Bummer, so much for moving him. His contract should be covered under medical insurance.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
The Suns should really waive and stretch him at this point, wasn't there a date that it had to happen before the payout structure changes negatively for Phoenix?

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Wooooow.

Yeah I'm with Chaplin, it's best if I say nothing about this at all...

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bad for Knight, clarity for the Suns. Now we won't do something stupid like give up assets to move him. No chance of him being disgruntled while riding the bench. Going on injured reserve is as good as waiving him. No point in waiving and stretching his deal unless there is really someone we want to sign. Stretching will become more advantageous next summer.

He is not just a $14 million cap hit and has no other impact whatsoever.

Still, hope he recovers. He is a good guy.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns should really waive and stretch him at this point, wasn't there a date that it had to happen before the payout structure changes negatively for Phoenix?

September 1st is the date where his 2017-18 salary starts counting, which would mean 1 less year if he's waived and stretched. If he's waived and stretched it's the remaining number of years on his deal times 2 and plus 1. So if he were waived now, his salary would be stretched over 3 seasons times 2 plus 1 which would mean he'd be on the books for the next 7 years. If it's after September 1st, it would be 2 seasons left, so he'd be on the books for 5 years beyond this current season which is 6 total seasons.

I don't think it's the right move to waive him this year. Couldn't we file for an injured player exception that would allow us like 70% of his salary to make a deal? Not that we need to but that could come in handy for a trade at the deadline.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I feel bad for him but this isn't a bad thing for the team this year, it opens up more minutes for Reed without the potential of Knight being disgruntled on the bench. Maybe some teams will forget just how awful he was this last season also and look to the first 4 years of his career as far as what he's capable of. It's obvious he's a bad fit and we won't get the value we paid for him but hopefully we can move him without costing us anymore.

It may actually be easier to trade him after a year on the shelf than it would be this offseason. He'll have 1 less year on his deal, leaving just 2 years and $30 million remaining, which will look a little better after another year of crazy contracts because of the increased salary cap. If we have to include an asset to trade him, like the Miami pick, we'll know where that will be next offseason/draft.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Injured playing pick up games? Would be nice to be able to void his contract.

He has a "love of the game" clause in his contract, which allows him to play in some games outside of the season without risk of losing money due to injury.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Injured playing pick up games? Would be nice to be able to void his contract.

It wasn't a pick-up game, it was a pro-am game that took place last week. The head team doctor has had a chance to evaluate him and he was the one who declared the torn ACL. Surgery is set for this Friday.

You want your players playing basketball in the offseason to work on their game. There's no way that the NBAPA would allow a team to waive a player and get out from his contract because they were injured playing basketball during the offseason. If they were playing another sport, maybe, but not basketball.

http://us.blastingnews.com/sports/2...ght-suffers-devastating-injury-001878517.html

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson