Kliff Kingsbury and Kyler Murray Are Running Out of Time to Produce Fireworks - The Ringer

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Ringer?

I must be out of the loop.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Hey, Chiefs just ran a little delayed/screen pass behind the line is scrimmage for a 56 yard touchdown. Why can't the Cards do that, hmm?

Have they tried throwing it to their slowest receivers and having their fastest ones block? That's where the real genius of Kliff's offense is.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have they tried throwing it to their slowest receivers and having their fastest ones block? That's where the real genius of Kliff's offense is.
Because they have the threat of a true run game and attack downfield. When you get a defense on its heels and make them defend the entire field you can then throw your screens.
We don’t. This offense could be played on a 10 yard field. We need to attack on 1st down AND establish a commitment to run the ball.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I am also curious about this. Gotta imagine he would be more vocal about it, at least internally if it was that much of a difference. But then again he still got his numbers.
You must be registered for see images attach

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This is malpractice and any decently run organization would have never hired him let alone let him keep getting bailed out by the best wr in the league and one of the most talented qbs in the league.

I can imagine Kliff is very easy to scheme for.

Rotate to coverage to Dhop and instruct dbs to play him for the sideline.

the bubble step is a dead giveaway just based off how often Kliff uses it and how impossible it is to disguise from a defense who anticipates it coming.

No creativity in his passing attack, his rpos go horizontal, not vertical, no presnap motion to assist Kyler in diagnosing the coverage, His inability to develop Isabella despite wanting him in the draft etc etc etc

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Watching Flight Plan I saw Kyler throw a pick 6 on a swing pass.

The int or swing pass wasnt even my biggest issue. It was the fact they were throwing a swing pass to AJ Green. It had Kirk blocking instead. I dont want to see a bunch of forced swing/slot screen passes to AJ Green like Larry last year. Honestly I'd rather not throw swing passes to Hopkins much. Moore and Kirk should get those plays.

If so Kingsbury runs into the risk of being in Matt Nagy territory.
How corners don’t sit on those and pick us off more often is beyond me.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
its a good read and fact based

"Perhaps more concerning, the team, despite its previously efficient run game, couldn’t take advantage of the high rate of light boxes (six or fewer defenders) it lined up against. After finishing second in DVOA in 2019, Arizona ranked just 17th in that metric last year. They finished tied for 24th in stuffed rate, per Football Outsiders (with running backs getting stopped at or behind the line of scrimmage 19 percent of the time), far too often keeping the offense off-schedule on early downs. Murray wasn’t good on third or fourth down either, and the Cardinals finished 28th in DVOA in those situations."

i think this is a bigger deal than play calling.

for all the complaining (rightfully so) about the horizontal passing game-- six or fewer in the box means two high safeties that take away deeper throws.

being able to make teams pay for playing coverage via the run game is going to be critical.
I hope he puts Kyler under center more this year? Play action will create lots of opportunities down field. You gotta have a good run game though for teams to bite on play action.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I hope he puts Kyler under center more this year? Play action will create lots of opportunities down field. You gotta have a good run game though for teams to bite on play action.
Critical. Unless they think he's ready to take a Josh Allen like leap or ready to play like Aaron Rodgers/Brady its hard to not have play action in your game. Also opens up easier throwing windows for those intermediate throws he struggles with.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Former NFL coach Rex Ryan has been an outspoken critic of Kliff Kingsbury and his Air Raid offense since the Arizona Cardinals hired him.

He continued his criticism of the coach and his offensive system in an appearance on ESPN radio's Keyshawn, JWill and Zubin Show on Thursday, slamming Kingsbury's system.

A question from Keyshawn Johnson set Ryan off on the Cardinals coach and his offense in Arizona.

After Johnson said: "I'm not hating on Kyler Murray. I'm hating on the Air Raid system," the former NFL wide receiver asked Ryan if he liked Kingsbury's offense and if he would implement it if he returned to coach in the NFL.

A laughing Rex Ryan replied, "You know Key, when Kliff Kingsbury came into the league, I was like ‘Dude is going to get smoked’," Ryan said on the show. “And quite honestly it has because in college football, you have 100 some kids on your roster. So, you don’t care, you can go as fast as you want, you can do all this type of stuff and you’re going to wear out that defense. Well, you’re wearing out your own damn defense."

Ryan continued: "Yes, let's face it. This Air Raid system like he's implemented from college, you had the greatest player on the planet in Patrick Mahomes and you were .500 as a head coach at Texas Tech. Oh, by the way you had Baker Mayfield, too. So, it's like, are you kidding me? This doesn't win games. It puts up yardage. It puts up all this and I was criticized beyond belief about, ‘Well, see there you go, he’s Neanderthal football.' Well, Neanderthal football still wins. You better be able to do both. When you need to run the football to be able to close out games, you better be able to do it. The same thing is here. Look, this isn't, you know, I mean getting it out basketball on grass. That's the most boring crap of all time. OK, now Kyler Murray is special. DeAndre Hopkins, special. I don't care what offense you are going to do, you're going to be successful with those guys. OK, there is no question. I think Kliff knows it now, it's not about how many snaps you get, it's about winning football games and there is two pieces to it, offense, defense and special teams, three phases of the game and you need to understand how you can protect one side or the other."

Ryan wasn't done: "Quite honestly I think his defense is ready to take a big step forward, but you as a head coach have got to bring back this Air Raid thing and go back to a damn NFL offense where you're balanced, you are able to run the football, you are able to protect the quarterback instead of letting this young super star back there, you know, do his thing. Like he is going to work his magic. I don't know if people realize how special this young quarterback is, but do more of the Russell Wilson type offense than this Air Raid thing and I think you will be more productive."

It wasn't all negative, however.

Ryan did pay Kingsbury a rare compliment during the interview, saying: "We've seen him back off on that and quite honestly he has grown. He's a better coach than when he came into the league."

OP
OP
Krangodnzr

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Former NFL coach Rex Ryan has been an outspoken critic of Kliff Kingsbury and his Air Raid offense since the Arizona Cardinals hired him.

He continued his criticism of the coach and his offensive system in an appearance on ESPN radio's Keyshawn, JWill and Zubin Show on Thursday, slamming Kingsbury's system.

A question from Keyshawn Johnson set Ryan off on the Cardinals coach and his offense in Arizona.

After Johnson said: "I'm not hating on Kyler Murray. I'm hating on the Air Raid system," the former NFL wide receiver asked Ryan if he liked Kingsbury's offense and if he would implement it if he returned to coach in the NFL.

A laughing Rex Ryan replied, "You know Key, when Kliff Kingsbury came into the league, I was like ‘Dude is going to get smoked’," Ryan said on the show. “And quite honestly it has because in college football, you have 100 some kids on your roster. So, you don’t care, you can go as fast as you want, you can do all this type of stuff and you’re going to wear out that defense. Well, you’re wearing out your own damn defense."

Ryan continued: "Yes, let's face it. This Air Raid system like he's implemented from college, you had the greatest player on the planet in Patrick Mahomes and you were .500 as a head coach at Texas Tech. Oh, by the way you had Baker Mayfield, too. So, it's like, are you kidding me? This doesn't win games. It puts up yardage. It puts up all this and I was criticized beyond belief about, ‘Well, see there you go, he’s Neanderthal football.' Well, Neanderthal football still wins. You better be able to do both. When you need to run the football to be able to close out games, you better be able to do it. The same thing is here. Look, this isn't, you know, I mean getting it out basketball on grass. That's the most boring crap of all time. OK, now Kyler Murray is special. DeAndre Hopkins, special. I don't care what offense you are going to do, you're going to be successful with those guys. OK, there is no question. I think Kliff knows it now, it's not about how many snaps you get, it's about winning football games and there is two pieces to it, offense, defense and special teams, three phases of the game and you need to understand how you can protect one side or the other."

Ryan wasn't done: "Quite honestly I think his defense is ready to take a big step forward, but you as a head coach have got to bring back this Air Raid thing and go back to a damn NFL offense where you're balanced, you are able to run the football, you are able to protect the quarterback instead of letting this young super star back there, you know, do his thing. Like he is going to work his magic. I don't know if people realize how special this young quarterback is, but do more of the Russell Wilson type offense than this Air Raid thing and I think you will be more productive."

Ryan did pay Kingsbury a rare compliment during the interview, saying: "We've seen him back off on that and quite honestly he has grown. He's a better coach than when he came into the league."
Rex Ryan is a fool. None of his critiques show that he actually has seen why the Cardinals didn't win.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Well, I agree with about all of this.

I am quite worried about this season, because I think the organizations shunning of TE's suggests we are going back to a lot of 4 WR sets, and they have not worked at all previously.

Not much of a fan of Ryan's but I agree with him. I think the success we are having is due to the special talents of Kyler and Hopkins, and Kliffs offense is hindering both of them.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think he hit on some solid points

Let's see how much KK has grown when we see the offense finally unleashed

Too many 3 and outs to wear out the D?

Or sustained drives resulting in points and taking time off the clock

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was excited when we were told uptempo/no huddle offense. But I didn’t think it would be 98% of the time.
I think it’s is counter productive. I think it leads to fatigue on the defense when your offense goes 3 and out. I think it leads to fatigue on the offense too. Fatigue leads to mistakes which is evident to the amount of pre-snap penalties we’ve endured.

I also think Kyler needs to be under center much more.

I hope Kliff adjust to all of this. If not we are going to once again see a lot of yards in the middle of the field, penalties and Kyler running for his life… hopefully not 2 yards short of the LOS.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was excited when we were told uptempo/no huddle offense. But I didn’t think it would be 98% of the time.
I think it’s is counter productive. I think it leads to fatigue on the defense when your offense goes 3 and out. I think it leads to fatigue on the offense too. Fatigue leads to mistakes which is evident to the amount of pre-snap penalties we’ve endured.

I also think Kyler needs to be under center much more.

I hope Kliff adjust to all of this. If not we are going to once again see a lot of yards in the middle of the field, penalties and Kyler running for his life… hopefully not 2 yards short of the LOS.

Its like a boxing match. You can't just keep throwing punches. There are times you need to slow down and pick your punches or you're spent by round 4.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose