Kiper's 2015 BIG BOARD

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I wanted the Cards to draft Vic Beasley if he came out for this last draft. I still would love for them to grab him if he is available to them in this draft. Might have to move up to get him though.

Here at Arkansas we have a 6'10" 340 lb tackle who may or maynot come out. He is no fat boy and when he does come I sure would like to have him on my team.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have little confidence that Daryl Washington is going to be available for the start of the 2015 football season, to say nothing of him even being on the roster.

I think is a good thing we dont hear nothing about him
But a tweet from dockett make me think daryl is on the right track

Last edited:

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have little confidence that Daryl Washington is going to be available for the start of the 2015 football season, to say nothing of him even being on the roster.

Really not sure if the Cards want him back. He lied to them while collecting his $10 million bonus while he was smoking pot.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
True, but OLB is still a higher need IMO. We have no one of substance to rush the passer.

I can see us going after some ILBs in free agency. Maualuga and Brandon Spikes will be available.

Consider that in 2013, when we were in the top 10 in sacks, a good portion of our pressure came with Dansby and Washington. Abraham's sacks came in just a couple games. I'm just pointing out that our pressure packages aren't exclusive to edge pressure or overload blitzes. Generally, Bowles subs out OLBs for DEs in sub packages.

Last edited:

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I agree and even if he does somehow stay on the team and play some games SK better have brought in at least 2 ILBers because Dwashout likes pot too much to be trusted.

Consider that in 2013, when we were in the top 10 in sacks, a good portion of our pressure came with Dansby and Washington. Abraham's sacks came in just a couple games. I'm just pointing out that our pressure packages aren't exclusive to edge pressure or overload blitzes. Generally, Bowles subs out OLBs for DEs in sub packages.

I believe a great deal of the pressure Los & Dweed because they are excellent blitzters. Yes Bowles loves to blitz the A gap often and with numbers but I know he would love to have some Olbers/DE's with elite pass rushing skills.

SK will need to find someone with pass rush skills in FA and an ILBer in FA.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score

I agree, I would take a ISLB who can rush the passer and cover over an OSLB that can just rush the passer. It just depends on whose there and who has the highest grade. But either way I believe that we'll be looking LB in the first round, unless someone falls to us that BASK just can't pass up.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Am I missing something? Why would Washington be suspended again for next year?

Hasn't the domestic violence issue been resolved and happened prior to the new policy being enacted? I would think the automatic suspension would only apply to cases after the new rule was in place.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Am I missing something? Why would Washington be suspended again for next year?

Hasn't the domestic violence issue been resolved and happened prior to the new policy being enacted? I would think the automatic suspension would only apply to cases after the new rule was in place.

Washington hasn't been punished at all for the domestic violence plea from last year. His current suspension is only regarding substance-abuse.

He may not be sanctioned according to the new domestic violence policy, but he will likely be sanctioned under the old conduct policy once he competes his suspension for smokin' the Chronic.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I agree, I would take a ISLB who can rush the passer and cover over an OSLB that can just rush the passer. It just depends on whose there and who has the highest grade. But either way I believe that we'll be looking LB in the first round, unless someone falls to us that BASK just can't pass up.

My thoughts are that we are more likely to find an impact ILB when drafting in the 21-32 range than we are an OLB who can play on his feet and then be an impact pass rusher in sub packages with his hand in the dirt. That being said, I believe Dante Fowler is the perfect fit for the Cards in round 1 in terms of an OLB that could be available where we will be picking. You could start him out as a sub DE in nickel with Shuaghnessy in base, and then move Fowler into that role as well when you decide to move on from Shaughnessy. Same can be said for Alvin Dupree, but I think Fowler is more polished.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
My thoughts are that we are more likely to find an impact ILB when drafting in the 21-32 range than we are an OLB who can play on his feet and then be an impact pass rusher in sub packages with his hand in the dirt. That being said, I believe Dante Fowler is the perfect fit for the Cards in round 1 in terms of an OLB that could be available where we will be picking. You could start him out as a sub DE in nickel with Shuaghnessy in base, and then move Fowler into that role as well when you decide to move on from Shaughnessy. Same can be said for Alvin Dupree, but I think Fowler is more polished.

I agree with your premise that a pass rusher need to be targeted (duh, who doesn't?) but I think it might come in another way.

I think Vic Beasley might drop some due to questions regarding size, play against the run, lack of strength. However, I don't believe a player that good at getting to the quarterback will fall out of the first round.

If the Cardinals picked Beasley he would probably play linebacker when Bowles turns to nickel- or dime-packages. When the defense uses three linebacker that could be a unit containing Beasley, Acho, Minter and maybe even Daryl Washington. Down linemen could then be players such as Campbell, Dockett, Kareem Martin, Okafor, Ed Stinson, Tommy Kelly. When only two linebackers are on the field that line-up could still provide some serious pass rush.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1. *Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon Ducks
I should drop him, right? He threw an interception! Ehhh, no. Mariota continues to impress, and I'm seeing some good anticipation throws. (I've knocked Mariota in that he can afford to let guys get wide open because he can run around all day.) He combines above-average accuracy and anticipation with an ability to get through his progressions and elite athleticism. How well he can take apart a defense with tools other than his legs matters in terms of how he is viewed as a prospect, but his ability to throw on the run or simply take off and pick up chunk yardage is a major plus.

2. *Leonard Williams, DL, USC Trojans
Just a special, versatile player. Provides impact wherever he lines up. Quick for his size, he can move all over and won't get pushed around when he's inside. At his size (6-5, 290 pounds), he's a special athlete who could line up as a defensive end and drive a tackle back or line up on the outside shoulder of a guard and create problems with power and quickness. He's the kind of disruptive, versatile lineman who can succeed in any system. A potential No. 1.

3. *Amari Cooper, WR, Alabama Crimson Tide
Nobody can cover him this year. His gaudy stats aren't just force-feeding; he's always open. He's neither a pure burner nor an impossible matchup threat given his size (6-1, 210 pounds), but there's nothing he doesn't do well and he's probably more explosive than he looks because his movement is so precise. He separates with ease, has a good sense of how to find space against a zone and will make contested catches. His work rate is legendary and will be a big selling point.

4. *Randy Gregory, DE, Nebraska Cornhuskers
Notched another sack last week, even as the clear focus of protection. A super-athletic pass-rusher with a lean frame and exceptional quickness, he could be a 3-4 outside linebacker or add some weight and be useful in a 4-3 scheme. How well he can hold up at the point of attack, particularly against the run, will be an area scouts focus on, but in a passing league, the greater focus will be on continued development as a pass-rusher.

5. Cedric Ogbuehi, OT, Texas A&M Aggies
While the team has hit the skids, I haven't seen any big reason to drop Ogbuehi. A very good athlete, Ogbuehi has transitioned from right tackle to left tackle, just as Jake Matthews did out of Texas A&M. Right now Ogbuehi gets a higher grade as a pass-blocker, but he's no slouch when it comes to creating a push as a run-blocker.

6. Brandon Scherff, OT, Iowa Hawkeyes
I've had him here all year, and he's been pretty solid. I've said before he can be better in pass protection, but he is pretty good. He is the best run-blocker in the class along with La'el Collins. Scherff uses a powerful base and quick feet to simply overpower defenders, and he can move well and line up blocks in space. He is nimble and simply needs to work on technique and use all his tools in the passing game.

7. *Shane Ray, DE, Missouri Tigers
Just not one good way to keep him blocked. He plays with tremendous energy, beats blockers in multiple ways and gets to the passer, so it's going to work out. What I like about Ray is he combines a relentless effort level with a range of pass-rushing moves. He's not just a speed rusher off the edge; he'll get on the inside shoulder of a tackle and drive through, creating pressure from the inside. Super productive.

8. *Shawn Oakman, DE, Baylor Bears
I'm probably higher on him than some, but the potential is undeniable. Has basketball-center length at 6-9 but also packs on more than 280 pounds, which he carries well and allows him to drive blockers. When he gets his long arms extended into blockers (or in passing lanes), he can shed quickly. How Oakman is used will be a question, but the former Penn Stater is a tantalizing specimen and is beginning to come into his own.

9. *Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia Bulldogs
Now we know when he'll be back. Safe to say his stock wasn't hurt by a month of rest. I rank Gurley higher than he will probably be drafted, given the way the NFL values running backs, but he could go in Round 1. He's a powerful runner with the ability to run away from a defense. When Gurley gets past the line of scrimmage, watch out. He can run high, which raises durability concerns that will certainly play into his draft stock.

10. **Leonard Floyd, OLB, Georgia Bulldogs
Will play a big role in whether UGA gets into the playoff, and the Bulldogs have a real shot. A green but talented young player with great range against the run and the ability to blow away blockers with his first step and overall athleticism, but he's also undersized (6-4, 230 pounds) and evaluators will key on his ability to hold up and play with leverage. He profiles as a 3-4 outside linebacker with the ability to both rush the passer and drop into space and cover. Not a finished product.

11. *Andrus Peat, OT, Stanford Cardinal
Another O-lineman who has been steady and has stayed in roughly the same spot all year on the board. I think Peat has played well despite some offensive hiccups for the Cardinal. He's both powerful and nimble, with the ability to drive a defender back in the run game and the exceptional length and above-average footwork you look for from a pass-blocker.

12. *Landon Collins, S, Alabama Crimson Tide
Nearly leading the team in tackles, which shows you how well he gets to the ball. Super versatile, he's what every NFL coach wants right now. Collins can play deep -- making good reads and taking the right angle to the ball -- and also has the ability to line up close to the line of scrimmage and run with tight ends. A strong tackler, Collins is fearless in taking on running backs but shows good technique and doesn't just throw himself at the ball.

13. **Jameis Winston, QB, Florida State Seminoles
I dropped Winston a little too far at first based on a lot of initial feedback regarding his suspension earlier in the season, and him being here reflects that. He still needs time to prove doubters wrong. That said, he has an extraordinary mind for football. He has special instincts, with ideal natural gifts for the position -- vision, size, arm strength, athleticism. He also has the ability to manipulate the pocket, see pressure early and deliver the ball to the right target. Consistency with ball placement and timing will need to improve. And again, the off-field stuff matters.

14. *Melvin Gordon, RB, Wisconsin Badgers
His 22 carries last week was his lowest total in a month, which isn't ideal, but he has been exceptional. Gordon is an easy accelerator, and he cuts with explosiveness and little wasted motion. He will miss a hole here and there in search of a bigger lane, but he has good vision, isn't afraid of contact and has breakaway speed when he gets in space. Here's hoping health doesn't become an issue because of the workload.

15. Vic Beasley, OLB, Clemson Tigers
No change for the productive Beasley. I've had him in this range all year, and he has played well. He offers great quickness and closing speed as a pass-rusher, and he's really impressive when he creates any space. Where he can struggle is when a good blocker gets his hands on him and forces him to play with leverage and counter. He can be highly disruptive, however, and has been in 2014.

16. Danny Shelton, DT, Washington Huskies
Continues to put together a solid season. Shelton isn't a gap penetrator, but he can shove his way into the backfield with strength. Shelton isn't "quick," but he moves pretty well for a huge man and is something of a clogger-plus. A massive defensive tackle at nearly 340 pounds, Shelton has some ability to disrupt and good instincts in his ability to find the ball.

17. La'el Collins, OT, LSU Tigers
Was the biggest mover last week. A big, powerful tackle with good length and the ability to really drive people backward in the run game, Collins could have entered the draft last year. He came back, and I think he has showed improvement. A definite first-round talent now, he's another player you could see drafted and moved inside to guard if a team wants to get him on the field right away. He started there all of his sophomore season.

18. *Shaq Thompson, OLB, Washington Huskies
Finds ways to affect the game with his athleticism, and last week that included 21 carries. On defense, Thompson is undersized as an outside linebacker and in some ways is position-less still, but he's an extraordinary athlete. The key for Thompson is to be able to play in space because he can get eaten up if a good blocker gets him engaged. But he's an effective tackler and playmaker, which is saying something for a guy who has played safety, running back and cornerback.

19. DeVante Parker, WR, Louisville Cardinals
A huge game awaits against Florida State. Parker will be a big focus of FSU's defense. Has great length, long arms, good hops and a strong, chiseled, lean frame that will remind some of A.J. Green, and it all adds up to a guy with a huge catch radius. He will make plays down the field, and he's good with the ball in his hands. He has played in really only one game so far this season due to a broken foot he suffered in August, but appears no worse for wear.

20. *Marcus Peters, CB, Washington Huskies
Now my No. 1 CB, I think he would be the first cornerback taken were the draft this week. A very good athlete with good size for the position and top-of-the-charts ball skills, Peters has developed into arguably the top cornerback in the Pac-12. He has played well in 2014 when he's been able to stay on the field -- the coaches made him sit out the Illinois game -- so coachability will be something to watch, but he's a competitor.

21. Alvin "Bud" Dupree, OLB, Kentucky Wildcats
A big-time athlete at 6-4 and 260-plus pounds, Dupree is going to test well at the combine, where he will run in the 4.68 range. He has explosive quickness off the snap and the ability to turn that into power and drive tackles back. I think how he's valued will be in part based on how NFL teams see him as a fit and how well he shows he can play in space. But the guy is a tremendous kid, a tremendous worker and a special athlete, so I'm betting teams will be excited to get him in.

22. Kevin White, WR, West Virginia Mountaineers
Had his least productive game of the year last week but still managed a TD catch. White lacks elite quick-twitch explosiveness, but he is able to create space, has good length at 6-3, can make the contested catch and has been far more consistent with his hands. To me, he also looks stronger than he was last season, and I think it has made him a little faster. Last year was his first at WVU after transferring from Lackawanna College, a junior college program in Pennsylvania.

23. *Shilique Calhoun, DE, Michigan State Spartans
Notched another sack against Michigan. Calhoun has impressive quickness and the ability to close in a hurry when he creates space as a pass-rusher. He has the look of a lanky defender who would specialize in getting upfield quickly, but he also shows plenty of strength and leverage against the run.

24. *Jaelen Strong, WR, Arizona State Sun Devils
In terms of pure matchup headaches, Strong might be the best wide receiver in the class. He has great size and can make catches when covered. He has a willingness to attack the ball and use strong hands to catch almost anything thrown his way, even against contact. He's not a burner -- you see a little Mike Evans -- but when he's moving, he's plenty fast.

25. *Trae Waynes, CB, Michigan State Spartans
Along with safety Kurtis Drummond, Waynes is the top player in that secondary and a guy quarterbacks aren't eager to target. He's a playmaker who will jump routes and has good ball skills. He has a tendency to dive a bit near the line of scrimmage in attacking the ball carrier, but added strength could fix that approach.

#20 Marcus Peters kicked out the team. Had already been suspended one game earlier this year for getting into it with the coaching staff now this another incident fighting with the coaches

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score

I would like Fowler as well, I really like his height 6'3', but needs to put on about 30 pounds. He is listed at 260, but my guess he is more like 230. The kid has talent and speed, but would need that bulk to improve his bull-rush technique.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would like Fowler as well, I really like his height 6'3', but needs to put on about 30 pounds. He is listed at 260, but my guess he is more like 230. The kid has talent and speed, but would need that bulk to improve his bull-rush technique.

i dont think he has to put on some weight since in the last 2 years he went from 277 to 260,he is just 6'2'' so i think his weight is fine

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
i dont think he has to put on some weight since in the last 2 years he went from 277 to 260,he is just 6'2'' so i think his weight is fine

I have seen draft gurus that say he may be only 230. If he actually weights 260 he is the perfect size, now just add some muscle, and lets see him not just use his athleticism and speed to get to the QB.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If dude is stupid enough to be fighting his coaches routinely enough to get kicked off the team as a first round talent, imagine the mess when he gets a few Mill in his pocket. He'll be uncoachable.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If dude is stupid enough to be fighting his coaches routinely enough to get kicked off the team as a first round talent, imagine the mess when he gets a few Mill in his pocket. He'll be uncoachable.

I disagree with this. He doesn't get along with his new coaching staff which doesn't mean he is a bad kid. Now, Peterson is well respected as a college coach, but anytime you have change, different people react differently to it. Peters wasn't recruited by this coach, and chances are this is more of a personality conflict than anything else. Peterson and Sark are two totally different personality types as well. Combine that with the struggles the team has had this year, it isn't shocking there are some malcontents.

I would draft Peters.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score

I have seen draft gurus that say he may be only 230. If he actually weights 260 he is the perfect size, now just add some muscle, and lets see him not just use his athleticism and speed to get to the QB.
Scout friend of mine was at the Gators/SC game yesterday and gave me a very favorable report on Fowler, fwiw. i did not ask about the size issue though. I don't think it's an issue because he would have mentioned it like he did with Beasley.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Scout friend of mine was at the Gators/SC game yesterday and gave me a very favorable report on Fowler, fwiw. i did not ask about the size issue though. I don't think it's an issue because he would have mentioned it like he did with Beasley.

The only issue with Fowler is he is not an elite burst player. That being said, he is very versatile, and athletic. You draft him hoping that he is a Alex Okafor type player who has more burst off the edge.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn