Kiper's 2015 BIG BOARD

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Thinking about undersized speed rushers, other than Miller, what undersized rush LB has really had an impact?

Bruce Irvin, Barkevious Mingo, Dion Jordan, Dee Ford , et al, really haven't been all that productive. They are still on the young side but their impact has been limited.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To you Draft Gurus, where did Kiper have John Smokey Brown slooted in his last year's draft predictions? How about Derek Carr who is starting for the Raiders?

Actually Kiper, McShay and Mayock were all really high on John Brown. When Brown was drafted McShay told a story about when he first seen Brown play he thought he was gonna get over on Kiper, he called Kiper said I found him WR steal of the draft and Kiper said you talking bout John Brown from Pittsburgh state.

And Carr didn't sneak up on anybody

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The thing that scares me about Kikaha is his history of knee injuries, I believe he has had 2 knee reconstruction surgeries so how long they will hold up in the NFL is a major concern.

I think ARZ ends up picking in the 20's so I think there will be 3 pass rushers in that range: Leonard Floyd, Lorenzo Mauldin & Kikaha some sites have Calhoun, Beasley in late 20's, one has Shane Ray going to ARZ at #30 (no way). It's hard to say who will be there when ARZ picks but realistically I think Mauldin will be there and would help us next year. If we can get Mauldin and a veteran guy like Jerry Hughes I would be happy.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thinking about undersized speed rushers, other than Miller, what undersized rush LB has really had an impact?

Bruce Irvin, Barkevious Mingo, Dion Jordan, Dee Ford , et al, really haven't been all that productive. They are still on the young side but their impact has been limited.

Out of those guys only Ford is considered small and is a rookie. Hell Jordan is like 6'6 and Mingo is like 6'4. Mingo and Irving have had good starts to there careers both look mm there gonna be very good pros and I would take either on this team in a heart beat.

I think Jordan was just drafted into the wrong situation. Here's a kid who's long talk freaky athletic lined up all over even played some safety you draft him wasn't him to put on 30 lbs and play with his hand in the dirt. Makes no sense to me.

By the way Dwight Freeney is only 6'1.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Out of those guys only Ford is considered small and is a rookie. Hell Jordan is like 6'6 and Mingo is like 6'4. Mingo and Irving have had good starts to there careers both look mm there gonna be very good pros and I would take either on this team in a heart beat.

I think Jordan was just drafted into the wrong situation. Here's a kid who's long talk freaky athletic lined up all over even played some safety you draft him wasn't him to put on 30 lbs and play with his hand in the dirt. Makes no sense to me.

By the way Dwight Freeney is only 6'1.

is about weight ,muscle strenght not height

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As for the Cards, I would rule out the smaller pass rushers like Beasley. In the past Keim has said he wants to add length and Bowles is from the Parcells school where players have to be a certain size per position to even be considered draftable.

I know the Cardinal like guys with length but you can't teach the speed, quickness and athleticism that this kid has:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/mayocks-slant/0ap3000000404457/Draft-Notebook-Vic-Beasley

And the kid is 6'3" so it's not like he is small.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
lol Shane Ray

I have proof saying I was a supporter of his months and months ago. So...FYI....that makes me cool because I knew he was good before 2016 big boards existed

nomsayin

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
I know the Cardinal like guys with length but you can't teach the speed, quickness and athleticism that this kid has:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/mayocks-slant/0ap3000000404457/Draft-Notebook-Vic-Beasley

And the kid is 6'3" so it's not like he is small.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/player/147/1031553/index.html

agaisnt the run is almost invisible
dee ford type of player

I texted my scout friend today about Beasley and the first response was very small. He says he'll see him live this Thursday against Wake Forest though.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I texted my scout friend today about Beasley and the first response was very small. He says he'll see him live this Thursday against Wake Forest though.

This your friend that works for the Jags.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I like Beez for pure pass rushing purposes. Its definitely out of my comfort zone to take a 1 dimensional guy. I love players like Khalil Mack who excel is all phases.

But so does every other team, and those guys are rare, which is why they never fall to us.

But just in terms of having a guy on the field who can individually create QB pressure, I think Beez is outstanding. Speed rushers are the elite rsuhers in the NFL. Everyone is strong. Even Levi Brown could handle a bull rusher. But you cant teach speed, and if youre faster than then the LT, then its going to be a very long day for the offense.

ill also point out the presence of Deone as a pseudo LB/S gives us some flexibility with our personell. We can put a 1 dimensional pass rusher out there because Deone can pick up any run stop or pass coverage responsilibilty.

----------------------------------------

I should also point out my opinion on him is also contingent upon "this is the best option we have". Fortunately/unfortunately, we are having a very good season. Which means our draft options fall by the day.

Randy Gregory, Leonard Williams, Shane Ray, Dante Fowler, probably Avlin Dupree and maybe Markus Golden are all falling further from reach.

If Beez is the only guy there at pick 27-30, then you gotta work with some warts. And to tell you the truth, I dont even think he will make it to us.

More than anyone, I want to take pass rushers early and often. But at this point, Im not even sure a rusher will be the BPA.

Would anyone be mad if we took Marcus Peters CB in rnd 1? Its iether the #1/#2 CB or the #5/#6 pass rusher

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
I like Beez for pure pass rushing purposes. Its definitely out of my comfort zone to take a 1 dimensional guy. I love players like Khalil Mack who excel is all phases.

But so does every other team, and those guys are rare, which is why they never fall to us.

But just in terms of having a guy on the field who can individually create QB pressure, I think Beez is outstanding. Speed rushers are the elite rsuhers in the NFL. Everyone is strong. Even Levi Brown could handle a bull rusher. But you cant teach speed, and if youre faster than then the LT, then its going to be a very long day for the offense.

ill also point out the presence of Deone as a pseudo LB/S gives us some flexibility with our personell. We can put a 1 dimensional pass rusher out there because Deone can pick up any run stop or pass coverage responsilibilty.

----------------------------------------

I should also point out my opinion on him is also contingent upon "this is the best option we have". Fortunately/unfortunately, we are having a very good season. Which means our draft options fall by the day.

Randy Gregory, Leonard Williams, Shane Ray, Dante Fowler, probably Avlin Dupree and maybe Markus Golden are all falling further from reach.

If Beez is the only guy there at pick 27-30, then you gotta work with some warts. And to tell you the truth, I dont even think he will make it to us.

More than anyone, I want to take pass rushers early and often. But at this point, Im not even sure a rusher will be the BPA.

Would anyone be mad if we took Marcus Peters CB in rnd 1? Its iether the #1/#2 CB or the #5/#6 pass rusher
I agree that about any guy drafted outside the top 10 is likely going to have some sort of issue, be it size or whatever, and I'd have no problem with taking a one trick pony like Beasley in the 20's, especially if his trick is getting after the QB.

My original idea was that I thought Beasley was going to be drafted much later than people were thinking who thought he may be a top 10 pick. I guess he could still be a top 15 pick, it only takes one team, but he better be really special at his size.

As for a top CB, I'd be on board with the Cards taking one in round 1 but Keim has shown, that even though he preaches BPA, his BPA has need factored into the equation, which is fine. I just think the Cards aren't going to pass on an edge rusher that they have a 1st round grade on if one is available.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How would you rank the positional needs of the team going into next year's draft (forgetting the upcoming FA period for now)?

-OLB
-ILB
-OG
-CB
-QB
-TE

is how I see it. The linebacking corps is the only thing that allows any movement at all against this defense.
I'd like to see them resign Cromartie for two more years.
Nicklas, once healthy, will prove to be worth his draft position. He can catch and block very well.
Our interior O Line needs an infusion of talent big time. Cooper needs to show up. Now.
Anyone think Logan Thomas has a chance?

Of course, Keim may see things differently and grab an RB in the first round. Who knows?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
There are so many good corners in this draft that will be available in our area of picking. I know we'd probably start a riot a Keim's house if we passed on an OLB again though. I'm one of the few you don't think Cro will be back. It's just bidness as they say.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I agree that about any guy drafted outside the top 10 is likely going to have some sort of issue, be it size or whatever, and I'd have no problem with taking a one trick pony like Beasley in the 20's, especially if his trick is getting after the QB.

My original idea was that I thought Beasley was going to be drafted much later than people were thinking who thought he may be a top 10 pick. I guess he could still be a top 15 pick, it only takes one team, but he better be really special at his size.

As for a top CB, I'd be on board with the Cards taking one in round 1 but Keim has shown, that even though he preaches BPA, his BPA has need factored into the equation, which is fine. I just think the Cards aren't going to pass on an edge rusher that they have a 1st round grade on if one is available.

I would amend your statement to LB rather than OLB. Keim understands that while this team needs an edge rush pressence, it needs an interior blitzing ILB almost as much.

My early guess is either Kikaha or Orchard near the end of round 1 as I think Thompson, Beasley, Gregory, Fowler, Ray, Dupree, and Calhoun will all be gone. However, free agency will have something to say about how much our needs will be factored into our decision making.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I would amend your statement to LB rather than OLB. Keim understands that while this team needs an edge rush pressence, it needs an interior blitzing ILB almost as much.

My early guess is either Kikaha or Orchard near the end of round 1 as I think Thompson, Beasley, Gregory, Fowler, Ray, Dupree, and Calhoun will all be gone. However, free agency will have something to say about how much our needs will be factored into our decision making.

If Washington is back, it's OLB. Either way, OLB is a priority.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What is this "draft" you guys are discussing? Is that another word for "Rams", because that's my only concern this week. :)

Ever improving. No worries.
It's enjoyable to look at it for fun instead of out of desperation.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If Washington is back, it's OLB. Either way, OLB is a priority.

OLB is a priority, but Washington will still carry a suspension for part of the year, and the team doesn't know how much they can count on him going forward.

Here is our ILB depth chart from 2014 to 2015.

Larry Foote - FA
Deone Bucannon - A Safety
Daryl Washington - Partial Suspension
Kevin Minter - enough said
Glenn Carson - enough said
Kenny Demens - enough said

High need here.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
OLB is a priority, but Washington will still carry a suspension for part of the year, and the team doesn't know how much they can count on him going forward.

Here is our ILB depth chart from 2014 to 2015.

Larry Foote - FA
Deone Bucannon - A Safety
Daryl Washington - Partial Suspension
Kevin Minter - enough said
Glenn Carson - enough said
Kenny Demens - enough said

High need here.

True, but OLB is still a higher need IMO. We have no one of substance to rush the passer.

I can see us going after some ILBs in free agency. Maualuga and Brandon Spikes will be available.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
True, but OLB is still a higher need IMO. We have no one of substance to rush the passer.

I can see us going after some ILBs in free agency. Maualuga and Brandon Spikes will be available.

I'm not sure either of those guys are better than Kevin Minter.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
right,,and we have the great daryl back who is 100 light years ahead of these players

I have little confidence that Daryl Washington is going to be available for the start of the 2015 football season, to say nothing of him even being on the roster.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen