Kingsbury and Keim get contract extensions

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont think that cause Kliff's agent is the same as his.

However, with Keim it makes you wonder if all this stuff before the combine (HOpkins deal was done there) was to get traded.

Again I dont think so, but man.

Lets all hope it really is as simple as Deandre HOpkins being healthy. Cause thats what they are telling us.
Hopkins plays D, too?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly think there is a good chance these extensions are a response to that letter.

No way they can decide to 'stick it to Kyler' by signing these extensions in what, 3 or 4 days? Plus Kliff and Kyler have the same agent. The agent stands to make much more money with Kyler signing a major deal vs Kliff. It doesn't make sense.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Coaches they like? What kind of ridiculous standard is that? Liking a coach is a justification for extension now?

You're just going to ignore the fact that two years in a row, his team failed miserably in every game that mattered?

You think if the Cards start hot and then fall apart again, that teams will look at 3 years of the same crap and say "let's get that guy!"

If that happens, I'll be the first to eat crow and say I was wrong about Kliff. But we all know where this is headed - we have tons of holes, and the wrong people to fill them. We have two teams that are light years ahead of us in the division, and another that beat us soundly when they were just playing out the string!

Who's scenario seems more likely?

That's what a winning franchise would do.

So if you are Bidwill rather than extend him now after an 11 win season you would rather role the dice and hope he sucks next year so you don't look like a tool?

The balance of risk is far lower in extending him. You always have the option of firing him, the extension at least keeps him tied in if he's good. It's a no brainer.

He's gone from 3 wins, to 7 wins, to 11 wins. Is this really a surprise for people?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This isn’t really a reward for on-field performance; it’s a reward (especially for Kliff) for staying out of the spotlight and letting Michael Bidwill be the face of the organization.

That said, if you want change on the defensive staff and more help for Kingsbury, this is how you accomplish it. Now whatever assistants get hired know they have at least a three-year runway.

Now, this is BAD NEWS for the prospects for the 2022 season. No one is working for their job, everyone accepted a new deal after a playoff season (good!) with a catastrophic ending (bad!).

Both guys would demand more money if the upward trajectory continued. What does it say that both have taken the money and run?

Everyone is always working for their job in the NFL.

This extension is on the basis that Kliff has improved every season. I doubt Mike would say "No bother" if we went 7-10.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

However, with Keim it makes you wonder if all this stuff before the combine (HOpkins deal was done there) was to get traded.

Lets all hope it really is as simple as Deandre HOpkins being healthy. Cause thats what they are telling us.
Last year was their best chance at a run. I don't see how this team can be better than last year with Chandler, Kirk, Ertz, Edmonds, Conner all FAs. There's no way they all come back, and there's no way we draft better players to replace them.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone is always working for their job in the NFL.

This extension is on the basis that Kliff has improved every season. I doubt Mike would say "No bother" if we went 7-10.
Shouldn't Kyler then be judged on the same criteria? He has improved every season too... yet that is not how the organization sees it.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So if you are Bidwill rather than extend him now after an 11 win season you would rather role the dice and hope he sucks next year so you don't look like a tool?

The balance of risk is far lower in extending him. You always have the option of firing him, the extension at least keeps him tied in if he's good. It's a no brainer.

He's gone from 3 wins, to 7 wins, to 11 wins. Is this really a surprise for people?
There is a large section of people that don't believe that Kliff is the man for the job, never has been.

I would have been fine with a Kliff extension even if I am on the fence about him. Keim doesn't deserve one and reeks of cronyism.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Yep, that's the plan..."role" the dice, and hope he sucks next year.

Here's a crazy idea - instead of extending KK, you give him the chance to prove that he can win a game that matters, before GIVING HIM A 5 YEAR EXTENSION. That seems a minor ask, no?
Again, you're assuming the owner is ready to eat two 5 year extensions. The Bidwill family has proven time and time again that winning ain't the priority.
Again, you have no leg to stand on other than win total, which ignores the blaring red flags surrounding both the coach and GM.

I swear, when it's another meltdown next year, the same people will STILL be making the same excuses.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The weirdest thing about this is that Burkhardt has been handling Kliff's contract and must know a Kliff/Keim extension almost certainly leads to a Kyler extension. Nobody extends their GM and HC for 5 more years without the belief they have a QB in place.

It also explains why they have not yet approached Kyler. You would surely want to get your GM and HC tied down first as they both only had 1 year remaining whereas Kyler has 2 more + the tag. So you get them done and then move on.

Which makes what Kyler and Burkhrdt have been doing all the more dumb, and it was already really dumb.
Unless Kyler caught wind of Keim's extension and used this as way to want out.

I didnt think of that until now. However, thats the only theory. Unless they get the feeling Bidwill really is more Team Keim/Kliff than Kyler and believe he's the one thats holding us back as of now.
Hopkins plays D, too?
I think they are just charging that up to JJ being injured.

The crazy thing is that is more of a fan perspective. At least the really optimistic ones. JJ/Hopkins are healthy and we are/were the best in the league.

Seems concerning that Bidwill's actions to be that. Again just saying the more optimistic view.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Hop isn’t getting any younger. He’s 30 and may start to decline. Banking your season on a 30 year old receiver isn’t really smart. But Ja’Marr Chase isn’t available either so….

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No way they can decide to 'stick it to Kyler' by signing these extensions in what, 3 or 4 days? Plus Kliff and Kyler have the same agent. The agent stands to make much more money with Kyler signing a major deal vs Kliff. It doesn't make sense.
LOL.

I don't think this is meant to stick it to Kyler, I think Bidwill thinks this is showing him the commitment to winning the letter asked for.

I understand why you might think that way though.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless Kyler caught wind of Keim's extension and used this as way to want out.

I didnt think of that until now. However, thats the only theory. Unless they get the feeling Bidwill really is more Team Keim/Kliff than Kyler and believe he's the one thats holding us back as of now.

I think they are just charging that up to JJ being injured.

The crazy thing is that is more of a fan perspective. At least the really optimistic ones. JJ/Hopkins are healthy and we are/were the best in the league.

Seems concerning that Bidwill's actions to be that. Again just saying the more optimistic view.
JJ Watt stays healthy at this point in his career? Didn’t realize that either.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Makes you think if Kyler wants out if they were going to resign these two losers.
Hop isn’t getting any younger. He’s 30 and may start to decline. Banking your season on a 30 year old receiver isn’t really smart. But Ja’Marr Chase isn’t available either so….
I hope Im wrong man. Nothing I've been told or heard that Kyler wants out. Its just strange if Burkhardt knew this deal was about to get done.

Either its Kyler wants out because of Keim, Kyler knows the organization feels its more his maturity holding the team back or he's pressuring them/Keim to draft more offensive talent.

Those are the only things that make sense to have this timed up before the combine. Optimistically, no more waiting for Zaven Collins. Trade up and get Rashawn Slater. No more taking do it all LB in Simmons. Draft Wirfs or Lamb.

Again its the only positive take on it imo. Anything else is either doubt by the organization in him or he wants out.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The notion that this makes sense because if they stink next year, then Bidwill can just fire both of them and eat THEIR ENTIRE FIVE YEAR UPCOMING CONTRACTS is one the dumbest things I’ve read about the Cardinals this year.

And that’s saying something considering how bad this year has been for the Cards so far.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL.

I don't think this is meant to stick it to Kyler, I think Bidwill thinks this is showing him the commitment to winning the letter asked for.

I understand why you might think that way though.
Okay, that makes sense. I didn't think of interpreting it that way.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I miss the musketeeresque facial hair, very dashing.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The notion that this makes sense because if they stink next year, then Bidwill can just fire both of them and eat THEIR ENTIRE FIVE YEAR UPCOMING CONTRACTS is one the dumbest things I’ve read about the Cardinals this year.

And that’s saying something considering how bad this year has been for the Cards so far.
Yep., Furthermore, if we suck so bad that we have to do fire them both, who will want the job? Anyone out there that can instantly make this team better won't want to work with the trainwreck.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep., Furthermore, if we suck so bad that we have to do fire them both, who will want the job? Anyone out there that can instantly make this team better won't want to work with the trainwreck.
They ain’t firing both guys with five years left on both deals.

Man... this is nuts. It’s not quite as ridiculous as McD continuing to get chances with the Suns, but it wreaks of the same stupid stability argument.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe building a consistent, winning organization starts from the top down. Obviously one can't change the owner so it has to begin with the GM.

If the Cardinals made only one move I was hoping it would be to change GMs and let him rework the franchise.

Nothing would please me more than to be wrong.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
has he though?
At most major categories, he sure has.

Besides, I don't know how you can say objectively that Kliff has improved, and Kyler has not. You can't have it both ways...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard