Kingsbury and Keim get contract extensions

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is a complete freaking disaster. I don’t think I have it in me to invest this kind of energy into a team making moves like this. Half a decade? So I’ll be 40 when this is over. Great. Can’t wait.

I guess today I’m drinking before 9 AM.
Im with you man
This offseason looked horrible since today, now is a train wreck, like the snowpiercer in the bottom of the train

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I mean, this can't really have been surprise to anyone right?

Both only had 1 year left. They just won 11 games, their best year since 2015. They obviously believe they have a franchise QB and don;t want to screw around with a whole scheme and coaching change.

And with all that in mind any extension was either going to be 4 or 5 years. Nobody does less. It was always either fire them already or an extension was coming.

The 5 year extension is almost certainly what they have in mind for Kyler seeing all of them through to 2027.

I'm not thrilled by it, but I'm not surprised. (It also doesn't really make much difference. If they suck next year, and especially the year after, they still get fired).
It's a surprise to me. I was psyching myself on having to only deal with one more year of Kliff before he was fired.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
C'mon guys... are any of you really all that surprised by this? Seriously? I'm not... and I won't be when their next move is to cave to the lilliputian that is Murray, and fork over $40 million a year for the next 5 years.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The weirdest thing about this is that Burkhardt has been handling Kliff's contract and must know a Kliff/Keim extension almost certainly leads to a Kyler extension. Nobody extends their GM and HC for 5 more years without the belief they have a QB in place.

It also explains why they have not yet approached Kyler. You would surely want to get your GM and HC tied down first as they both only had 1 year remaining whereas Kyler has 2 more + the tag. So you get them done and then move on.

Which makes what Kyler and Burkhrdt have been doing all the more dumb, and it was already really dumb.

I literally came here to post the same thing which is odd since we seem to not agree much on the Kyler situation. But he's both their agents he HAD to know this was coming so what the hell was he doing with that Kyler letter if he knew this was coming?

Bizarro world

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
LOL, WHY NOT. Is there a hidden market for KK or Keim that we're unaware of?

What if Bidwill suited up at QB and won the super bowl himself? We can throw out any number of unlikely scenarios but none will justify extending two people who haven't earned it in the least.

Nobody lets contracts of coaches they like run down. Nobody. He just had 11 wins in the NFL. Beat several very good teams. There is definitely a market out there for Kliff. Certainly if he repeats next year.

Imagine the fans here next year if we went 12-5 and got to the NFCCG, or heck, even the SB, and Kliff's contract expired and he said "Thanks guys. I think I'll go get twice as much money somewhere else". Fans here would be raging and calling it the dumbest thing ever.

You extend him and the only downside is you have to pay out more money if you fire him early.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I literally came here to post the same thing which is odd since we seem to not agree much on the Kyler situation. But he's both their agents he HAD to know this was coming so what the hell was he doing with that Kyler letter if he knew this was coming?

Bizarro world
I honestly think there is a good chance these extensions are a response to that letter.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Hasn’t proven anything? 2 years in a row we were the #1 offense for a period and top 5 for most the season and ended #8
And that led them to...absolutely nothing. Being creamed with no shot of winning in a round 1 playoff game is not the pinnacle of success. Stats have zero meaning in a vacuum.

Or even in a Roomba, @tnmike ;)

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Problem is Michael is very happy with last season. Eleven wins is a big deal for this franchise. Ignoring how we imploded is what makes us different from successful teams. That crash and burn would have been a disaster for the top tier teams.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This isn’t really a reward for on-field performance; it’s a reward (especially for Kliff) for staying out of the spotlight and letting Michael Bidwill be the face of the organization.

That said, if you want change on the defensive staff and more help for Kingsbury, this is how you accomplish it. Now whatever assistants get hired know they have at least a three-year runway.

Now, this is BAD NEWS for the prospects for the 2022 season. No one is working for their job, everyone accepted a new deal after a playoff season (good!) with a catastrophic ending (bad!).

Both guys would demand more money if the upward trajectory continued. What does it say that both have taken the money and run?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Nobody lets contracts of coaches they like run down. Nobody.
Coaches they like? What kind of ridiculous standard is that? Liking a coach is a justification for extension now?

He just had 11 wins in the NFL.
You're just going to ignore the fact that two years in a row, his team failed miserably in every game that mattered?
There is definitely a market out there for Kliff. Certainly if he repeats next year.
You think if the Cards start hot and then fall apart again, that teams will look at 3 years of the same crap and say "let's get that guy!"
Imagine the fans here next year if we went 12-5 and got to the NFCCG, or heck, even the SB, and Kliff's contract expired and he said "Thanks guys. I think I'll go get twice as much money somewhere else". Fans here would be raging and calling it the dumbest thing ever.
If that happens, I'll be the first to eat crow and say I was wrong about Kliff. But we all know where this is headed - we have tons of holes, and the wrong people to fill them. We have two teams that are light years ahead of us in the division, and another that beat us soundly when they were just playing out the string!

Who's scenario seems more likely?
You extend him and the only downside is you have to pay out more money if you fire him early.
That's what a winning franchise would do.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How i wish ownership included team option years and buyout clauses in the contracts but we know that's not happening.

Nothing like doubling down on a losing hand. I guess giving Murray the contract he wants is next.

At least when the Cardinals clean house it will be easy to remember with the triple KKKs.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This isn’t really a reward for on-field performance; it’s a reward (especially for Kliff) for staying out of the spotlight and letting Michael Bidwill be the face of the organization.

That said, if you want change on the defensive staff and more help for Kingsbury, this is how you accomplish it. Now whatever assistants get hired know they have at least a three-year runway.

Now, this is BAD NEWS for the prospects for the 2022 season. No one is working for their job, everyone accepted a new deal after a playoff season (good!) with a catastrophic ending (bad!).

Both guys would demand more money if the upward trajectory continued. What does it say that both have taken the money and run?
Mao Masi approve this post

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly think there is a good chance these extensions are a response to that letter.

That would make some sense. It's just weird if the agent knew Kliff was being extended and the agent has to know Kliff wants to keep Kyler, it would have seemed logical to wait for kliff to be extended and then say ok what about Kyler?

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Five more years of horrible drafting, old free agents and unable to retain any talent. If I’m Kyler I’m getting traded f that.
I dont think that cause Kliff's agent is the same as his.

However, with Keim it makes you wonder if all this stuff before the combine (HOpkins deal was done there) was to get traded.

Again I dont think so, but man.

Lets all hope it really is as simple as Deandre HOpkins being healthy. Cause thats what they are telling us.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison