King's #5 & #10 for Fox?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
My only concern about Tatum, albeit from watching highlights is his lack of explosiveness. He seems smooth and quick enough, but I was underwhelmed by his leaping off of one foot. It seems like he barely cleared the rim on many of his drive and dunks.

It's strange to see with players being so explosive nowadays, but it may point to some longevity in the league if he can be effective as he would not be overly reliant on athleticism that would eventually fade.

I'm underwhelmed with Isaac's explosiveness as well but I think once he fills out he will improve his agility. It's like his feet are still too big for his frame.

Seems like Tatum is what he is physically.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
My only concern about Tatum, albeit from watching highlights is his lack of explosiveness. He seems smooth and quick enough, but I was underwhelmed by his leaping off of one foot. It seems like he barely cleared the rim on many of his drive and dunks.

It's strange to see with players being so explosive nowadays, but it may point to some longevity in the league if he can be effective as he would not be overly reliant on athleticism that would eventually fade.
Only thing here is that our current SF isn't so explosive either.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I prefer to only address PG if the team could trade Bledsoe and up with Smith/Fox plus another young player.

I think Tatum has some nice offensive skill, more refined than Jackson. Issac is a projection; anyone stating otherwise isn't being honest.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I don't understand the obsession with this "explosiveness" or "leaping ability." Sure, it's a nice thing to have, but it shouldn't be a disqualifying factor. We are not talking about Mike Sweetney level of slow here. Both of these guys move just fine. Sure, they are not pre-injury Amare or Blake Griffin, but they hardly lack athleticism. There is a big difference between lacking athleticism and lacking elite athleticism. These guys are fine as far as athleticism goes.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the obsession with this "explosiveness" or "leaping ability." Sure, it's a nice thing to have, but it shouldn't be a disqualifying factor. We are not talking about Mike Sweetney level of slow here. Both of these guys move just fine. Sure, they are not pre-injury Amare or Blake Griffin, but they hardly lack athleticism. There is a big difference between lacking athleticism and lacking elite athleticism. These guys are fine as far as athleticism goes.

at the most athletic position on the floor... "fine" doesn't cut it for me on the defensive end, especially considering we already have Booker's "fine" on D. I just think if neither of your wing defenders can guard the toughest positions in the NBA, you're D is gonna leak like a sieve. That's my issue. Nothing about offense, all about Defense.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
at the most athletic position on the floor... "fine" doesn't cut it for me on the defensive end, especially considering we already have Booker's "fine" on D. I just think if neither of your wing defenders can guard the toughest positions in the NBA, you're D is gonna leak like a sieve. That's my issue. Nothing about offense, all about Defense.

And Derrick Jones Jr is super athletic but he hasn't shown anything else. Athleticism isn't everything, if it was then we'd be fine with DJJ for the future.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

This. It's why bringing in Tatum when you have his older clone on the team would be a huge mistake.

OP
OP
pokerface

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mannnn...I don't want Tatum. I'd almost want anyone over him even though I'd know he'd be solid. I just don't see a potential allstar with that guy.

Jackson or Fox. Dark horse candidates being Isaac or Smith. Just no Tatum!!

:madarms:

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

But those are two separate issues. Booker is a lousy defender. His athleticism isn't the problem- he just doesn't know how to play D.
Old Grant Hill was an outstanding defender, even after losing his "elite athleticism and explosiveness" because he knew to play.
Obviously, it's better to be very athletic than not, and extreme lack of athleticism is a problem, but we can't refuse to draft elite scorers because they are not as athletic as a 19 year-old Amare Stoudemire.

I prefer Jackson over Tatum too. He is more athletic, he is a better defender, and he is at least competent offensively. I would much rather have a good defender next to Booker, but the Suns are so bad right now that they must select the best player available. I don't know who the hell it is, and I am not advocating for Tatum (Hell, I am not advocating for anyone), but if Tatum is an elite scorer, Suns should probably grab him.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But those are two separate issues. Booker is a lousy defender. His athleticism isn't the problem- he just doesn't know how to play D.
Old Grant Hill was an outstanding defender, even after losing his "elite athleticism and explosiveness" because he knew to play.
Obviously, it's better to be very athletic than not, and extreme lack of athleticism is a problem, but we can't refuse to draft elite scorers because they are not as athletic as a 19 year-old Amare Stoudemire.

I prefer Jackson over Tatum too. He is more athletic, he is a better defender, and he is at least competent offensively. I would much rather have a good defender next to Booker, but the Suns are so bad right now that they must select the best player available. I don't know who the hell it is, and I am not advocating for Tatum (Hell, I am not advocating for anyone), but if Tatum is an elite scorer, Suns should probably grab him.

yeah, I can't disagree with a lot of of that... I don't know who they should pick at 4 either if Ball and Jackson are gone. Just stating my concerns.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I share your thoughts and uncertainties. Jackson is probably my favourite. He fills a need on the team. If the Lakers pass on Ball that is a red flag for me since he's always been ranked ahead of JJ and they have a SF already. Just have to put my faith in McD. He's been good so far.

We'll stink next year as well but still I'm excited for summer league to see progress for Chriss, Bender and Ulis plus this year's rookie.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
yeah, I can't disagree with a lot of of that... I don't know who they should pick at 4 either if Ball and Jackson are gone. Just stating my concerns.

I would strongly consider Fox at four if those two are gone. On top of being super athletic, it looks like he is insanely competitive and is basically a passable jump shot away from being John Wall.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
It's just perfect - there are 3 players that the top teams covet, and we get the 4th pick. Hopefully McD can strike gold with Issac or Fox.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's just perfect - there are 3 players that the top teams covet, and we get the 4th pick. Hopefully McD can strike gold with Issac or Fox.

Yup. In a three man draft, we had a better than 50% chance of ending up in the top 3, and yet we pull 4. Never in history have we had the number one pick. Missed out on Kareem on a coin flip. The Suns lottery outcomes would be comical if it wasn't so damn depressing. Every year it's a kick in the nuts. I was ecstatic last year, but because of McD coming away with both forwards I coveted, not because the lottery showed us any love.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
I am leaning toward it being two and then after Ball and Fultz there is a tier of players that are mostly interchangeable in talent level but will be picked based on "fit"

Jackson
Tatum
Fox
Isaac

I honestly think Jackson would be the best fit for the Suns and Tatum would be the worst fit but I could honestly see any one of those four being a perennial all star. I would probably put them in the following order for the Suns:
1. Jackson
2. Fox
3. Isaac
4. Tatum

While I think Tatum is the worst fit of the four, i think Isaac has the greatest bust potential where his floor could really be a bench player who's athletic talent is incredible but is too passive and can't physically hold up to the NBA game.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
I would strongly consider Fox at four if those two are gone. On top of being super athletic, it looks like he is insanely competitive and is basically a passable jump shot away from being John Wall.

He's definitely a super athlete and insanely competitive, but I don't see Wall as a good comp. (I admit, I'm splitting hairs here).

John Wall averaged 6.5 assists per game at Kentucky next to Eric Bledsoe (2.9 a/g).
De'Aaron Fox averaged 4.6 assists per game at Kentucky next to Malik Monk (2.5 a/g).

Wall played the game more like a passing PG who could score. Fox plays more like scoring guard that can pass.

I'd say he's a passable jump shot away from being Westbrook. Westbrook needs the ball in his hands and primarily looks to score. So does Fox. Assists come when the defense collapses and he hits the open teammate. That's a whole lot different than a guy who is looking to set up his teammates first and score second.

For what it's worth, I'd rather have Wall than Westbrook (I know I'm in the minority here, but I hate ball hogs and stat mongers at PG).

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And Derrick Jones Jr is super athletic but he hasn't shown anything else. Athleticism isn't everything, if it was then we'd be fine with DJJ for the future.

Derrick Jones isn't anything close to the guys in this draft. That's such a nonsequitir it's barely even worth responding to.

No... athleticism isn't EVERYTHING, but jesus... when you're drafting this high, as a WOEFUL DEFENSIVE TEAM, you better come out of this draft with someone who can round into a complete stud with the 4th pick and a complete stud can't be a dud on D.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
If Fox is on Wall/Westbrook talent level I want him or Jackson. Maybe Bledsoe can get a early teens pick so we can get Markannen or Collins etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen