Kevin Kolb looking for Aaron Rodgers-type $

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Tom Pelissero of ESPN 1500 Twin Cities reports the agents for Kevin Kolb have made it known that they will be seeking a lucrative multi-year deal from any team that trades for their client this offseason.

It sounds like Kolb may be overshooting Matt Schaub's six-year, $48M deal, and instead targeting the Matt Cassel/Tony Romo/Aaron Rodgers range of $65-70 million. The asking price is high enough that one NFL decision-maker labeled it "significant enough to make me nervous" with a player of little track record. "There's no way I pay him like a proven guy," said an AFC exec. Kolb's pool of suitors has reportedly been "drastically reduced" by the combination of draft picks and monetary commitment required.

link

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Never seen such an unproven guy generate so much hype.

Second Deck

Registered
Reaction score
I would draft a QB in round 2 take Miller or Peterson at 5 make a move to get Mcnabb to tutor the young QB's.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
We would probably not do the homework on his contract demands, give up a 2nd & 3rd and then he walks...thats Cardinal football folks!!! :D

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would draft a QB in round 2 take Miller or Peterson at 5 make a move to get Mcnabb to tutor the young QB's.

McNabb is not going to be a Cardinal in any capicity. Several local reporters have stated that the Cards don't have any interest in him.

I don't like a plan that states we will take a shot at whatever leftovers fall to us at the QB position in rd2. I'm okay with that philosophy at any other position but not QB. If the Cards like Ponder for example then they should trade back up into rd1 to get him. I hope this isn't the case but my point is we already have a guy we kinda like (Skelton) to develop and don't need another kinda like guy as well. The only QB we should draft this year is one the Cards love.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
The Charlie Whitehurst trade comes close.

The major difference is Whitehurst never took a snap in the regular season and was largely considered a project, who spent a few years learning under Norv Turner, so the appeal was there, which is why he generated so much hype. Unfortunately for him, he turned out to suck and the Seahags are now in a position where they are back to the drawing board in looking for the QBoF.

As for Kolb. He'll get a Brinks truck backed up to his house for sure, but asking for Rodgers money is insane. I thought the Schaub deal was excessive at the time but turned out to be a good investment.

Kolb has proven he can produce when given the opportunity. I love his aggressiveness and confidence in making every throw. He isn't a Charlie Whitehurst type but something a little more special.

The Eagles will get a 2012 first rounder from another team for sure, it's about one of the other teams sweetening the pot with another pick to make the deal happen.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being a little more special than Charlie Whitehurst doesn't mean much. It is the equivalent of saying Derek Anderson is a little more special than Max Hall. :)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The major difference is Whitehurst never took a snap in the regular season and was largely considered a project, who spent a few years learning under Norv Turner, so the appeal was there, which is why he generated so much hype. Unfortunately for him, he turned out to suck and the Seahags are now in a position where they are back to the drawing board in looking for the QBoF.

As for Kolb. He'll get a Brinks truck backed up to his house for sure, but asking for Rodgers money is insane. I thought the Schaub deal was excessive at the time but turned out to be a good investment.

Kolb has proven he can produce when given the opportunity. I love his aggressiveness and confidence in making every throw. He isn't a Charlie Whitehurst type but something a little more special.

The Eagles will get a 2012 first rounder from another team for sure, it's about one of the other teams sweetening the pot with another pick to make the deal happen.

The Aaron Rodgers contract is two years old; the Matt Schaub contract is--what?--five years old? If Kolb signs a six-year deal for Rodgers money, in two years that's going to look like a value.

If Kolb is traded for a first-round pick and the Cards go 5-11 next year again, or doesn't turn out to be an above-average starter (which he hasn't shown the ability to be any more than #7 has), we'll be in trouble for a long time.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Sad but true. Makes it hurt even worse that the Cards couldn't manage to get anything for Matt Leinart.

Matt Ryan 1st round 2008, Michael Vick first round 2001, But the guy who took the Falcons to the Super Bowl is one of my all time favorite players, Chris Chandler. The unluckiest QB in NFL history. The poor guy kept getting moved from one terrible team to another.

If Dollar Bill weren't such a big Cowboys fan, signing Buerelein when we had Chandler, we'd have been a lot better off in the 90's.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Big contract and loss of a high draft choice for a guy with rookie credentials. No way Jose!
Better off with some FA where we do not lose a high draft choice. Washington has hyped this guy so much I think he is beginning to believe the hype. I doubt we finish higher than 8/8 no matter who we draft or what FA we sign. No use wasting more years on a questionable QB. He may or may not be better than Skelton. Not enough info on either of these guys. I remain committed to a QB (Gabbert) with our #1 as any team must have a good QB eventually to ever compete. You got to start somewhere be it a gamble or not. There are rare sure things when drafting a QB so you take your best shot and keep on trying until you get one. When you get one things happen like when Warner arrived. When you do not have one things happen like when Warner left. You finish last.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Sad but true. Makes it hurt even worse that the Cards couldn't manage to get anything for Matt Leinart.

Which speaks volumes about how the league views him.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Which speaks volumes about how the league views him.

That's ridiculous. The Cards released Leinart on September 4th FIVE days before the start of the regular season!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll bet there were just dozens of team thinking they needed a QB 5 days before the season started. :bang:

You are defending the guys who thought DeWreck Anderson and Max Hall could carry on the winning tradition of Kurt Warner. The same people who thought Brian St.Pierre was better than Leinart. A group that took a team from Division Champs to one of the 5 worst teams in the NFL in less than a year.

Unreal.

Last edited:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Aaron Rodgers contract is two years old; the Matt Schaub contract is--what?--five years old? If Kolb signs a six-year deal for Rodgers money, in two years that's going to look like a value.

If Kolb is traded for a first-round pick and the Cards go 5-11 next year again, or doesn't turn out to be an above-average starter (which he hasn't shown the ability to be any more than #7 has), we'll be in trouble for a long time.

I agree. We are talking the law of supply and demand. For Kolb the lack of supply and he high demand for his position all works into his favor.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
The big difference people overlook when comparing Kolb to Leinart is the NFL pro personnel all seem to agree that Kolb has what it takes to succeed in the league. You never heard that about Leinart. That doesn't mean he will be good but he's shown to work hard and have the ability. That doesn't mean you throw Rodgers type money at him, and I doubt any team does. The Matt Cassel contract seems like a good barometer for Kolb. Rodgers type money is likely his agent talking and trying to set a higher bar for him.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Then he should have put up Aaron Rodgers-type #'s.

"He" can look and look but that don't mean he gonna' get. Albeit he is my first choice by far...that kind of money just ain't gonna' happen. By the way, I don't believe that is true either. Naysayers on Kolb remember that it's gonna' be a long line of suitors so somebody knows something.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Never seen such an unproven guy generate so much hype.
Agree.

I want Kyle Orton first. He is proven as a good QB in this league and he is still very young.

I would take Kolb, but only because we are desperate.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And people wonder why fans have no sympathy for players in lockout situations.

I like Kolb but what in the world would make him and his agent think he's earned that sort of payday?

BigRedFan

Registered
Reaction score
I am in disbelief of the hype for Kevin Kolb. I'll disregard his first season and look at the most recent. Still in 2010 he had 7 TDs/7 picks, 6.3 ypa, 76 rating. I think he had a couple good games in there, take those away the stats are a lot worse than that. He shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Aaron Rodgers, super bowl winner, starts off with (close to) three full seasons of 4000 yards, one of the top QB ratings ever. Are people losing their minds?

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I have soured over Kolb over the course of the off-season. Both the teams asking price, and his contract asking price, seem far over priced. If it doesn't come down significantly, I hope we move on.