Justin Upton is a huge disappointment!

OP
OP
devilalum

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I had no and still do not have a problem with trading Upton or anyone else. I have a problem with what they got in return. Big difference.

The offers would have been incredible had any team in the world believed he would hit like this!

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did it ever dawn on anyone in the DBacks FO that maybe instead of trading J-Up, that we should trade to get his brother on the DBacks?

Avondale Red Rage

Just wondering...
Reaction score
...saw highlights of yesterday's ATL/Rockies game. Upton botches a fly ball in the bottom of the ninth, then has a throw to the plate that is 10' off as the Rockies win in extra-innings. That's the superstar I know and love.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Did it ever dawn on anyone in the DBacks FO that maybe instead of trading J-Up, that we should trade to get his brother on the DBacks?

And get CY part 2? Did you see the money the Braves paid him? NOOOO THANKKSSS

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's funny how so many come on here to negatively talk about Upton while ignoring the guy behind the plate we're paying $10M who can't hit his way out a paper bag right now.

What the hell is his problem and why don't we have a thread dedicated to him and how much he sucks? :shrug:

Those who want to try and pick apart a guy who's having a start like Upton is having come off as either idiots or bitter ex-gfs cause it's not about baseball.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Upton has three games left in April and needs two homers to tie the MLB record for most homers in April. Towers and Hall acted like 12-year olds, slamming Justin in the press while he is doing his talking with his bat. I never thought there would be anyone worse than Josh Byrnes but Kevin Towers has done that.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Those who want to try and pick apart a guy who's having a start like Upton is having come off as either idiots or bitter ex-gfs cause it's not about baseball.
Idiots! Bitter ex-gfs! Not about baseball! What an emotional response to those of us who believe that, for all the reasons that have been cited over and over . . .

a) If Upton could have hit HR's with Phoenix as he is with Atlanta, he would have.

b) He has had hot streaks here and he is having one in Atlanta. It is too early to judge what potential can be counted on.

c) Between his showboating, carelessness and temper tantrums and Kendrick's undiplomatic public reaction, Upton had to have a fresh start somewhere else. Both for his sake and for the sake of the D'backs. The longer he stayed, the worse it got. Dropped in the batting order. Not driving in enough runs.

People who have reacted intellectually rather than emotionally are not idiots. Nor are our opinions idiotic. Or our right to have them. We are certainly not ex-gf's. And it is all about baseball.

Avondale Red Rage

Just wondering...
Reaction score
It's funny how so many come on here to negatively talk about Upton while ignoring the guy behind the plate we're paying $10M who can't hit his way out a paper bag right now.

What the hell is his problem and why don't we have a thread dedicated to him and how much he sucks? :shrug:

The difference is our guy behind the plate is one of the best at his position defensively and leaves his guts on the field every night. And your right, you could call me a bitter ex-gf - Upton is like the bf who gets a new gf and he starts opening the car door, buying flowers, etc. when that's all you wanted all along. But us "girls" know he is who is....

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Idiots! Bitter ex-gfs! Not about baseball! What an emotional response to those of us who believe that, for all the reasons that have been cited over and over . . .

a) If Upton could have hit HR's with Phoenix as he is with Atlanta, he would have.

b) He has had hot streaks here and he is having one in Atlanta. It is too early to judge what potential can be counted on.

c) Between his showboating, carelessness and temper tantrums and Kendrick's undiplomatic public reaction, Upton had to have a fresh start somewhere else. Both for his sake and for the sake of the D'backs. The longer he stayed, the worse it got. Dropped in the batting order. Not driving in enough runs.

People who have reacted intellectually rather than emotionally are not idiots. Nor are our opinions idiotic. Or our right to have them. We are certainly not ex-gf's. And it is all about baseball.

Sums it up really nicely. Listen people, if you miss JUP that much go be a braves fan. For the true DBacks fans on this board, I think we are all happy about the trade and the direction this team is going.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The difference is our guy behind the plate is one of the best at his position defensively and leaves his guts on the field every night. And your right, you could call me a bitter ex-gf - Upton is like the bf who gets a new gf and he starts opening the car door, buying flowers, etc. when that's all you wanted all along. But us "girls" know he is who is....

Look, upton is still in the honeymoon stage
Of his new relationship. All guys try just a little bit harder when they have a new girl. Then as time goes on they try less and show their true colors.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sums it up really nicely. Listen people, if you miss JUP that much go be a braves fan. For the true DBacks fans on this board, I think we are all happy about the trade and the direction this team is going.

For me the Diamondbacks got taken in the deal. For people to say this was the best deal they could of gotten, that is bs. Towers screwed up bigtime when he said he was not trading Justin unless he was blown over with a trade. Next thing we know it Upton is traded to Seattle but he had a no-trade clause to the Mariners. After that, there was no way he was going to remain a Diamondback and Towers panicked. Instead of being patient, he took the Atlanta offer. Prado is a decent player but to get him and a bunch of minor-league guys who won't have an impact was just stupid. Diamondbacks could of received much better than what they got. Plus, the way Towers and Hall acted in the entire Upton scenario was pure classless. Justin took the high road and kept quiet. Now his bat is doing all the talking.

OP
OP
devilalum

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
For me the Diamondbacks got taken in the deal. For people to say this was the best deal they could of gotten, that is bs. Towers screwed up bigtime when he said he was not trading Justin unless he was blown over with a trade. Next thing we know it Upton is traded to Seattle but he had a no-trade clause to the Mariners. After that, there was no way he was going to remain a Diamondback and Towers panicked. Instead of being patient, he took the Atlanta offer. Prado is a decent player but to get him and a bunch of minor-league guys who won't have an impact was just stupid. Diamondbacks could of received much better than what they got. Plus, the way Towers and Hall acted in the entire Upton scenario was pure classless. Justin took the high road and kept quiet. Now his bat is doing all the talking.

I don't wish the Dbacks had Upton back but they definitely handled the whole situation horribly. If Texas didn't have their head up their rear Prado should have been Profar. That would have been a fair trade. But the Dbacks devalued Upton so badly that Texas didn't want to be the chump that over-payed.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score

100% disagree. So, just because I dislike this trade means I'm not a "true Dbacks fan?" I am not happy at all with the trade. If you're going to take a risk as big as trading Upton, you better get someone with superstar potential in return. They didn't.

I have always been a Prado fan and do see how he would fit like a glove with this team. But I think it's time to take off the rose colored glasses and realize that he is barely hitting .200

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
100% disagree. So, just because I dislike this trade means I'm not a "true Dbacks fan?" I am not happy at all with the trade. If you're going to take a risk as big as trading Upton, you better get someone with superstar potential in return. They didn't.

I have always been a Prado fan and do see how he would fit like a glove with this team. But I think it's time to take off the rose colored glasses and realize that he is barely hitting .200

They are just defensive with that whole "true fan" BS. If being a true fan means turning off my brain then no thanks. I'd like to continue to appreciate baseball on a bigger level than rah rah elementary level appreciation of the sport. I want my team to be smart and savvy when it comes to talent and deals. I want the fans to know what that looks like as well and it sucks to see fans who either rationalize poor moves or try to tear down players who are having great starts because they feel spurned. To have fans that know there is still an improvement curve for a 25 year old two time top 25 MVP and that a players career isn't defined when most of his peers are still in College or some minor league. I want a better FO and better fans that hold that FO accountable. I don't have that with this team for this player and this trade and that is disappointing.

It's misplaced emotion that people in baseball not attached personally to the player and trade can see more clearly. I'm embarrassed for them.

Avondale Red Rage

Just wondering...
Reaction score
They are just defensive with that whole "true fan" BS. If being a true fan means turning off my brain then no thanks. I'd like to continue to appreciate baseball on a bigger level than rah rah elementary level appreciation of the sport. I want my team to be smart and savvy when it comes to talent and deals. I want the fans to know what that looks like as well and it sucks to see fans who either rationalize poor moves or try to tear down players who are having great starts because they feel spurned. To have fans that know there is still an improvement curve for a 25 year old two time top 25 MVP and that a players career isn't defined when most of his peers are still in College or some minor league. I want a better FO and better fans that hold that FO accountable. I don't have that with this team for this player and this trade and that is disappointing.

It's misplaced emotion that people in baseball not attached personally to the player and trade can see more clearly. I'm embarrassed for them.

The objective of the FO is to get this team to the promise land, not develop a superstar. I'm 100% satisfied and not concerned with your embarrassment. Now if we had an open bank vault to play with such as the Yankees and Dodgers, then I may feel differently. But we don't, and the Dbacks are putting a helluva product on the field this year.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

This is a ridiculous assertion. Being a "true" fan doesn't mean you have to agree with every move the team makes. Actually, that makes a fan pretty pliable. And by the varying opinions on this board, not everyone is happy with the trade, and many are livid about the way it was handled by management and the assets that were received by the Braves.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The objective of the FO is to get this team to the promise land, not develop a superstar. I'm 100% satisfied and not concerned with your embarrassment. Now if we had an open bank vault to play with such as the Yankees and Dodgers, then I may feel differently. But we don't, and the Dbacks are putting a helluva product on the field this year.

On the bold we can agree, however the team's success hasn't been reliant on the parts we've gotten back from the trade so why are we comparing the two at this point? They could easily be doing both cause typically one helps generate the other.

I think I've stated that trading Upton is not a bad idea in the absolute sense, it's about what was received in return. I also have stated that most of my bafflement resides in the fan base choosing to lash out about him and diminish what he's doing in ATL for the simple reason that there is some sort of sour grapes. There is nothing negative to say about a 25 year old having an MVP month of April that has any intelligent criticism. The party line of "he wouldn't do that here" is such a transparent rationalization that it comes off as petty.

Last edited:

Avondale Red Rage

Just wondering...
Reaction score
On the bold we can agree, however the team's success hasn't been reliant on the parts we've gotten back from the trade so why are we comparing the two at this point? They could easily be doing both cause typically one helps generate the other.

I think I've stated that trading Upton is not a bad idea in the absolute sense, it's about what was received in return. I also have stated that most of my bafflement resides in the fan base choosing to lash out about him and diminish what he's doing in ATL for the simple reason that there is some sort of sour grapes. There is nothing negative to say about a 25 year old having an MVP month of April that has any intelligent criticism. The party line of "he wouldn't do that here" is such a transparent rationalization that it comes off as petty.

I smell what you're stepping in, but a baseball fan is born with the innate ability to moan and groan about soured relationships with their players. At least we don't bitch about a goat every season. :)

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Why would we get someone with superstar potential? Has Upton ever put up superstar numbers? Would someone just answer me that? You can't live in a fantasy world where players are what they were supposed to be.