Just placed my bet on the Rams...

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the ref doesn't get in the way they spike it for the hail Mary.

I can't believe the ref can just run through the formation and knock the ball off it's spot and it's cool
Did it really matter? That’s the quickest way to the ball. If he ran all the way around the line and back up to the center. There would not have been near enough time either. What he did was the fastest way to the ball in the end.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In obvious world, if that person is the only person that can spot the ball (which makes zero sense that the only guy that can spot the ball is the guy trailing the play), sees a run play with seconds left, he hustles down the sideline to set said ball.

That didn't happen. They highlighted the end for a reason. It's a bad look
That’s why Larry infamously grabbed the ball and handed it to the ref if you recall.
Dumb play call. There is no guarantee the Cowboys throw a td on the next play. This site would be blowing up if the Cards lose to the rams like this…and I don’t think the venom would be toward the ref.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
He was busting his behind trying to get that ball spotted lol. Hell he actually did his job poorly in the cowboys favor for that play.

If he wasn't so worried about not letting the clock run out he would have moved the ball away from where Dak and the center spotted it and put it where Dak began his slide. Ref has absolutely 0 blame in that clock running out.. I would blame Dak for not sliding sooner or for giving the ball to his center instead of running it to the ref.
Exactly. Chris, you're wrong. It isn't the ref's responsibility to make up for a stupid decision that costs the team an extra play at the end of the game. They were never going to get that snap off in time. Even if they did, there would've been a false start to end the game anyway.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the ref doesn't get in the way they spike it for the hail Mary.

I can't believe the ref can just run through the formation and knock the ball off it's spot and it's cool

He has to touch the ball by rule. They explained that during and after the game. The Cowboys players didn't seem to realize that so the C was in the refs way.

I should add, Dallas was lined up offsides on the spike play anyways, Lamb is borderline on the left but Cooper is over the LOS on the right.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He has to touch the ball by rule. They explained that during and after the game. The Cowboys players didn't seem to realize that so the C was in the refs way.

I should add, Dallas was lined up offsides on the spike play anyways, Lamb is borderline on the left but Cooper is over the LOS on the right.
This. The ref must be the one to spot the ball. Dallas cannot spot their own ball. That is why the play call was so stupid. It's laughable that people are trying to blame the refs.
It immediately brought to mind Larry always grabbing the ball and running it to the ref to speed up the process.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Just remember it was only a few years ago that the umpire was stationed behind the line of scrimmage. They did this for safety, if he was in his old spot he would have been 10 yards closer to spot the ball.

All that said it the umpires responsibility to count the players on the field. At the snap they are taught to maintain their position unless they have to move for their own safety. They Are supposed to watch the line play for fouls. So they can't hold to their responsibility if they're running upfield. After a tackle their job is to spot the ball.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Just remember it was only a few years ago that the umpire was stationed behind the line of scrimmage. They did this for safety, if he was in his old spot he would have been 10 yards closer to spot the ball.

All that said it the umpires responsibility to count the players on the field. At the snap they are taught to maintain their position unless they have to move for their own safety. They Are supposed to watch the line play for fouls. So they can't hold to their responsibility if they're running upfield. After a tackle their job is to spot the ball.
Exactly

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know the ref has to spot the ball.

I do not believe that the ref trailing the play and not hustling has to run through a set formation to set said ball.

The Dallas bias here is so strong people are ignoring the real point, refs should never be the replay at the end of any playoff game.

It happens every damn year (usually to the Saints) and the NFL has to do better.
Umpire sets the ball all game long. That was the Umpire who set the ball there. End of story

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson