Jurecki reports that Cardinals told Robinsons agent today

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shane H
Thanks that what I thought.

I doubt we even offered this guy a contact yet if they werent willing to start in negotiations!

Jim O posted the same thing about the contract offer in the Trib.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
http://www.evtrib.com/index.php?sty=3651

Cards don't need 'O' line help
By Darren Urban, Tribune
The Big Red Line is still mostly intact for the Arizona Cardinals.
The team will make a switch at center this season, but the guards remain Pete Kendall and Leonard Davis, the tackles L.J. Shelton and Anthony Clement. There are other more pressing areas of need on the roster.

But, much like the position of cornerback, an NFL team never can seem to have too many good offensive linemen.

“I think you always have to have some of those guys available,” coach Dave McGinnis said. “You never hurt yourself by taking a lineman in the draft. (But) at what point do you take them?”

Even for a spot as seemingly stable as the Cards’ offensive line, there are questions, short- and long-term. With the release of Mike Gruttadauria, the Cards need to settle on a new starting center. It will likely be holdover Jason Starkey or veteran free agent Frank Garcia. But the Cards could look into drafting a possible replacement in the later rounds.

Shelton is going into the last year of his contract. The Cardinals would like to eventually sign Shelton to a contract extension, but if he doesn’t stay — and assuming Davis would take over at left tackle — the Cards will need a new guard.

“You always need some young talent,” Shelton said. “I wouldn’t be surprised at all if they went O-line. I’d be surprised if it was the first day, but they definitely need someone here so (a rookie) can go get our breakfast. I don’t want to have to go get the breakfast.”

The Cardinals have spent part of the offseason building up the depth of the line. They re-signed guard/tackle Raleigh Roundtree, who was solid as a fill-in at the end of last season. They signed Garcia and fellow free-agent tackle Cameron Spikes. It came after a season in which every offensive line starter but Shelton missed time because of injury (and Shelton played a couple of times when he shouldn’t have).

It isn’t easy finding a gem in the later rounds. Of the non-center starters, the Cardinals have three former first-round picks (Kendall, Shelton, Davis) and a second-rounder (Clement). The Cardinals have a host of younger linemen, but other than Starkey, none have played much and all are undrafted. It is possible one could eventually become a viable NFL player, given time.

“There’s a reason those O-line coaches have that mushroom club,” Cleveland coach Butch Davis said. “It is the way in which the O-line develops. They’re in the dark. They’re in the (expletive) and they eventually bloom and develop.”

More likely the Cards will be hesitant to hold on to a player on their roster who can’t help. They learned that lesson last season.

“We went in last year thinking that we had enough front-line people and we had some good veteran backups behind them,” McGinnis said. “With what transpired you can see how that can erode and that is something you can’t foresee. The more you have, the better you are.”

EXTRA POINTS: The Cardinals reportedly turned down an initial trade offer from Kansas City for running back Thomas Jones. The Kansas City Star said it was unclear what the Chiefs offered, but said trade talks were not necessarily dead. . . . The Cardinals have made an initial contract offer to receiver Marcus Robinson.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe I don't know about contracts very much but an initial offer says to me that a dollar amount was thrown out there. If not then what was the offer? A bag a week of free Cheetos?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZCB34
http://www.evtrib.com/index.php?sty=3651

Cards don't need 'O' line help
By Darren Urban, Tribune
The Big Red Line is still mostly intact for the Arizona Cardinals.
The team will make a switch at center this season, but the guards remain Pete Kendall and Leonard Davis, the tackles L.J. Shelton and Anthony Clement. There are other more pressing areas of need on the roster.

But, much like the position of cornerback, an NFL team never can seem to have too many good offensive linemen.

“I think you always have to have some of those guys available,” coach Dave McGinnis said. “You never hurt yourself by taking a lineman in the draft. (But) at what point do you take them?”

Even for a spot as seemingly stable as the Cards’ offensive line, there are questions, short- and long-term. With the release of Mike Gruttadauria, the Cards need to settle on a new starting center. It will likely be holdover Jason Starkey or veteran free agent Frank Garcia. But the Cards could look into drafting a possible replacement in the later rounds.

Shelton is going into the last year of his contract. The Cardinals would like to eventually sign Shelton to a contract extension, but if he doesn’t stay — and assuming Davis would take over at left tackle — the Cards will need a new guard.

“You always need some young talent,” Shelton said. “I wouldn’t be surprised at all if they went O-line. I’d be surprised if it was the first day, but they definitely need someone here so (a rookie) can go get our breakfast. I don’t want to have to go get the breakfast.”

The Cardinals have spent part of the offseason building up the depth of the line. They re-signed guard/tackle Raleigh Roundtree, who was solid as a fill-in at the end of last season. They signed Garcia and fellow free-agent tackle Cameron Spikes. It came after a season in which every offensive line starter but Shelton missed time because of injury (and Shelton played a couple of times when he shouldn’t have).

It isn’t easy finding a gem in the later rounds. Of the non-center starters, the Cardinals have three former first-round picks (Kendall, Shelton, Davis) and a second-rounder (Clement). The Cardinals have a host of younger linemen, but other than Starkey, none have played much and all are undrafted. It is possible one could eventually become a viable NFL player, given time.

“There’s a reason those O-line coaches have that mushroom club,” Cleveland coach Butch Davis said. “It is the way in which the O-line develops. They’re in the dark. They’re in the (expletive) and they eventually bloom and develop.”

More likely the Cards will be hesitant to hold on to a player on their roster who can’t help. They learned that lesson last season.

“We went in last year thinking that we had enough front-line people and we had some good veteran backups behind them,” McGinnis said. “With what transpired you can see how that can erode and that is something you can’t foresee. The more you have, the better you are.”

EXTRA POINTS: The Cardinals reportedly turned down an initial trade offer from Kansas City for running back Thomas Jones. The Kansas City Star said it was unclear what the Chiefs offered, but said trade talks were not necessarily dead. . . . The Cardinals have made an initial contract offer to receiver Marcus Robinson.

Ok thanks CB!

But my question wouldbe is why is that only being reported by the tribune??? Sounds kind of fishy to me?? Why wouldnt Graves mention it in his interiew etc.... It just sounds really fishy to me!

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ok thanks CB!

But my question wouldbe is why is that only being reported by the tribune??? Sounds kind of fishy to me?? Why wouldnt Graves mention it in his interiew etc.... It just sounds really fishy to me!

Jim O responded to this in another thread when asked about why the Repulsive hadn't mentioned it and he said it was the timing of when the stories were written. Both the paper and Robinson's agent have said an intial offer was made so I am tending to accept it now.

As for why Graves didn't mention it? I have no idea.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I posted this morning that on AZCENTRAL it says that MR left town without a contract. I was chided by others saying that he was offered and they produced the one liner in the Trib. (That is why I broke out the Howdy Doody....He speaks)

I brush the one liner off as plausible denial. If there was a contract it was a low ball. The fact is that MR left town. Graves needs at least 48 hrs before he can offer a contract. He said so himself. Now with the draft he has to wait until it is over. I say the 48hr clock starts running on Monday....By Weds we will hear something.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jim O responded to this in another thread when asked about why the Repulsive hadn't mentioned it and he said it was the timing of when the stories were written. Both the paper and Robinson's agent have said an intial offer was made so I am tending to accept it now.

As for why Graves didn't mention it? I have no idea.

Avenger stated that Graves stated they didnt talk numbers in his interview which is what I would be inclined to believe.

Graves has been very candid and open with other FAs that have visited us and let us know if an offer was on the table I dont see why it would be any different with Robinson!

Just not alot of solid proof other then the evening trib?

If graves sai they didnt talk numbers that what I would believe overall else!

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Avenger stated that Graves stated they didnt talk numbers in his interview which is what I would be inclined to believe.

Graves has been very candid and open with other FAs that have visited us and let us know if an offer was on the table I dont see why it would be any different with Robinson!

Just not alot of solid proof other then the evening trib?

If graves sai they didnt talk numbers that what I would believe overall else!

If it was just his agent? I would question it. If it was just the paper? I would question it. Put them together and I believe. I didn;t hear Graves talking about numbers being talked about so I cannot say what the context of the discussion was. They haven;t talked numbers could mean no offer was made or they haven't gotten a counter-offer yet. It could also mean they did get a counter-offer and need to discuss that and haven't.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it was just his agent? I would question it. If it was just the paper? I would question it. Put them together and I believe. I didn;t hear Graves talking about numbers being talked about so I cannot say what the context of the discussion was. They haven;t talked numbers could mean no offer was made or they haven't gotten a counter-offer yet. It could also mean they did get a counter-offer and need to discuss that and haven't.

Thats just it there isnt anything concrete from his agent that says they were made an offer yet either.

He stated in his letter that he was hoping to hear from graves today and he obviously did stating they would wait until after the draft to deal with him?

Sorry you can believe if you want and let it add to you negativity but until I get something a little more concrete I will hold off judgement.

But if we get more concrete evidence and a "confirmation" that a contract was offered I will be exremely pissed at this organization for making an offer but yet not willing to negotiate!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats just it there isnt anything concrete from his agent that says they were made an offer yet either.

He stated in his letter that he was hoping to hear from graves today and he obviously did stating they would wait until after the draft to deal with him?

Sorry you can believe if you want and let it add to you negativity but until I get something a little more concrete I will hold off judgement.

But if we get more concrete evidence and a "confirmation" that a contract was offered I will be exremely pissed at this organization for making an offer but yet not willing to negotiate!

Why would Jim O take the time out to point us to the Tribune earlier this morning to show us an offer was made if an offer in fact wasn't? Jim O also said the Republic wouldn't have it because of the time the article was printed. So now - you don't believe the paper or Jim O?

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Check this out first:

jkf296
Pedantic Enigma

Just received this back from him:

Thank you for your email. Marcus is very interested in coming to Arizona. He has had numerous teams interested in him thus far. Arizona was and remains his top choice. That is why he went there for his first visit. As a matter of fact, another team was scheduled first and he had me rearrange it so he could come to Arizona first. He passed his physical with the Cardinals and is healthy. Yesterday, he went to the Raiders and they told me his workout was phenomonal. Today he is working out with SF.
Next week he already has scheduled visits with Detroit and Baltimore. There are other teams waiting for visits after that. With that said is Marcus is hopeful that he can play in Arizona. He is in his best physical shape since 1999 and is on a mission to prove that he is a pro bowl player. He sees himself as a guy who could be the number one WR in Arizona. He also is an excellent character guy (truly one of the best people I have ever met), and looks forward to the chance to work with a young WRs.
Rod Graves and I have had preliminary discussions about making Marcus a Cardinal. I know Marcus would have preferred to have left Arizona with a deal but it did not happen and now he is honoring his other committments to teams this week. The Cardinals are very busy like every other team preparing for the draft. Hopefully, I will hear back from Rod or someone in the Cardinals organization today.
Marcus appreciates your support and interest.
Very Truly Yours,
Ken Sarnoff

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by cheesebeef
Why would Jim O take the time out to point us to the Tribune earlier this morning to show us an offer was made if an offer in fact wasn't? Jim O also said the Republic wouldn't have it because of the time the article was printed. So now - you don't believe the paper or Jim O?

Sorry but as much as I love Jim O and his insight and having him on this board. I dont take what he says as the gospel either. Whats his title with team again?

Plus like I said Graves has openly admitted if a contract has been put on the table with other players so far this off-season why would M. Rob be any different??

Oh and CB that letter says nothing about numbers!

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sorry but as much as I love Jim O and his insight and having him on this board. I dont take what he says as the gospel either. Whats his title with team again?

Plus like I said Graves has openly admitted if a contract has been put on the table with other players so far this off-season why would M. Rob be any different??

I pulled these 2 lines out:

Rod Graves and I have had preliminary discussions about making Marcus a Cardinal. I know Marcus would have preferred to have left Arizona with a deal but it did not happen and now he is honoring his other committments to teams this week.

What is the ppreliminary discussion? "Graves, I want to be a Cardinal bad!!" or is there an intial dollar amount thrown out as a starting point?

The second line says preference for a deal. Now it does get sticky here but I interpret deal as in signed contract since he didn;t sign a contract thus he will honor his other visits.

I am not saying this is irrefutable evidence but all indications are that an offer was made but negotiations are teminated until after the draft.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Because maybe Graves has learned that it looks stupid when you honestly believe that you are going to sign a guy, you offer him a contract - you tell your fans - your fans spirits lift and then guy goes and signs somewhere else for less money! Maybe Graves is finally learning something after all!

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess we will just have to disagree.

I want more concrete evidence and you guy are willing to take whats on the table as fact. Im not!

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Oh and CB that letter says nothing about numbers!

I have never claimed anyone had numbers. Just putting puzzle pieces together here. No problem if you don't agree. Just stating my case.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because maybe Graves has learned that it looks stupid when you honestly believe that you are going to sign a guy, you offer him a contract - you tell your fans - your fans spirits lift and then guy goes and signs somewhere else for less money! Maybe Graves is finally learning something after all!

I see what you guys are saying to a point. But especially you cheese you will take any little thing you can and try to make it look like the worst possible scenario.

I think the years of frustration with this team make you look at everything that happens in the worst way and honestly I cant say I blame you! Since I have just as much if not more years of frustration!

I just want more evidence!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see what you guys are saying to a point. But especially you cheese you will take any little thing you can and try to make it look like the worst possible scenario.

I think the years of frustration with this team make you look at everything that happens in the worst way and honestly I cant say I blame you! Since I have just as much if not more years of frustration!

I just want more evidence!

That's cool. Just different ways of thinking.:thumbup: :rolleyes:

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Re: Inept

Originally posted by Chris_Sanders
That's it, Rod Graves is inept. :mad:

nice qoute, I guess Graves doesn't feel like the Cardinals need to pass the ball this year

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
What if Robinson will visit other teams, get contract offers from them, and come back to us with that number? Maybe Graves wants to give Robinson market value. If Robinson really wants to play here he will give us the last chance I would imagine. He knows we have the money to match any deal that is offered to him, so why not?

adam

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by green machine
What if Robinson will visit other teams, get contract offers from them, and come back to us with that number? Maybe Graves wants to give Robinson market value. If Robinson really wants to play here he will give us the last chance I would imagine. He knows we have the money to match any deal that is offered to him, so why not?

adam

geez - I think I heard the exact same thing with every other free agent who left here that we didn't sign and desperately needed - hell - I remember people saying the same damn thing about Boston - when will people recognize there is a pattern at work here and so far it ain't workin' for us.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
geez - I think I heard the exact same thing with every other free agent who left here that we didn't sign and desperately needed - hell - I remember people saying the same damn thing about Boston - when will people recognize there is a pattern at work here and so far it ain't workin' for us.

I'm willing to give Graves the benefit of the doubt--I was back in March, I am now. Robinson by no means is a lock to be a pro bowler, we don't know how much money he wanted either. Sounds like a guy who wants to be here, but we don't want to overpay him. Believe me, if he's healthy, I would be excited to get him here. But it sounds like no team would get anything done with him before the draft anyways, so what makes us different?

adam

ChandlerCard

Now living in Scottsdale
Reaction score
...who knows what was really said? Reading between the lines of his agent's comment, it doesn't appear Robinson is concerned about waiting to negotiate. If that's a fact then why make your draft desires even more predictable? Everything is a lie...

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I am really not shocked by this move.

How we draft will impact how this team develops more than the signing of Marcus Robinson. I can see how the team would not want enter negotiations heading into the draft because the draft is so crucial. In my opinion, spend your time preparing for the draft and then pursue Robinson, especially with our recent draft history.

Just one man's opinion.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Work your magic Graves!

This is just my honest opinion., but here it goes.

Letting Robinson walk is almost as bad as letting Boston walk. If M-Rob is in as good of shape as his agent claims, he would immediately make a huge impact on the Cardinals WR corps. A signing like that would have added instant legitimacy to this offensive unit, and would have garnered some more possitive press for the Cardinals, and their chances at being successful this year. Graves has already stated that they would like to draft a couple of receivers, but with as many holes exist on this roster, they cannot count on draftees making immediate impacts.

Are they counting on all the other teams interested in M-Rob balking at making a pre-draft deal as well? Perhaps they are planning on some #1 WR's falling from the sky after June 1st? And if they do, what makes them think that they would be willing to play here, for more money, instead of competing with teams that have legit shots at the playoffs?

Having M-Rob on the roster before the draft lets the tumblers in the lock drop, and opens up easier to plan and more sound drafting strategies. No longer would WR be such an absolute high priority. Suddenly, only DE and DT become must picks.

I really hope that Graves (and company) have something up their sleeve to make this team just that much closer to turning the corner on some long lasting success as a franchise.

I'm hoping for David Copperfield...not Doug Jennings...