Jordan Hicks on Cowherd

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
As much as I lament that Hicks is not a flashy player, is (to my untrained eye) a step slow in run defense, and struggles in pass defense, I keep going back to one thing.

Through 16 games, we are 5th in scoring defense at 20.5 PPG, and that's against a pretty good slate of opponents. 5th!

And so if Jordan Hicks is the QB of the defense, then dammit, he deserves a QB's share of the credit for our tremendous success.

Well done Jordan Hicks, you magnificent ******* . You have my respect sir.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
As much as I lament that Hicks is not a flashy player, is (to my untrained eye) a step slow in run defense, and struggles in pass defense, I keep going back to one thing.

Through 16 games, we are 5th in scoring defense at 20.5 PPG, and that's against a pretty good slate of opponents. 5th!

And so if Jordan Hicks is the QB of the defense, then dammit, he deserves a QB's share of the credit for our tremendous success.

Well done Jordan Hicks, you magnificent ******* . You have my respect sir.
Exactly. It’s like having an unspectacular game manager leading a fantastic offense. It happens. Can the spot be upgraded? Sure. But it doesn’t negate the success the game manager had.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
here to bang my Jordan Hicks drum. he's having a great year, hope he's back on a 2 year deal. 2 years ensures a smooth transition to Zaven calling the defense. That, and I would enjoy running into him at the grocery store for a couple more years

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I want to see him on the field, but not necessarily in the place of Hicks at this time. He could be in there for Walker, Gardeck, even Kennard.
I thought he looked pretty good as an OLB against Dallas. Didn't seem to get as many snaps there as I was thinking he would with both Kennard & Golden out? I may be wrong though, Idk the actual percentage of snaps he got?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The only problem with Hicks is Steve Keim picking 4 first round ILBs in 8 years.

Maybe this should highlight just how hard a position it is to pick in the draft.

It is, in a lot of respects, the defensive equivalent of picking a QB in the draft. A lot of guys can be superstars in college and just not have the mental capacity to make it in the NFL.

You need that same pre/post snap recognition and the mental acuity to process information quickly as a QB to play LB at a high level. On top of that you need a bunch more physical talent and athleticism a QB doesn't need to then put that into action. It's a really tough position.

When you look at it like that what we have seen with Simmons and Collins is the defensive equivalent of sitting a QB for a year.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That is High School level thinking/philosophy. The best defensive systems in the NFL put players in positions to be successful and best utilize their skill set.

Hicks is overmatched in coverage and in space. Putting him in these situations because you can't figure out how to get anyone else able to call a defense is just selfish coaching.

I think, perhaps silly of me, that the best defensive system is the one most effective at keeping the opposition from scoring.

Our 'High School level thinking/philosophy' of believing the whole is more important than the parts ranks #5 in points against it, and I don't think many could argue that the Pats, Bills, Broncos or Saints had a tougher schedule.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard