Jonesing on Jones

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd be very reluctant to put a day 3 rookie RB as the #1 back next to Kyler in a year that should have Super Bowl aspirations ideally in a rookie's trajectory.

Keim said they would like to sign Drake to a long term contract. That would really be best for the RB position. However, Drake needs to be reasonable on his salary demands. We don't need another David Johnson type contract.

Last edited:

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keim said they would like to sign Drake to a long term contract. That wold really be best for the RB position. However, Drake needs to be reasonable on his salary demands. We don't need another David Johnson type contract.

not sure I agree with this. He will be 27 at years end. I don’t want any running back short of a hall of famer under contract as my lead back over 30.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd be very reluctant to put a day 3 rookie RB as the #1 back next to Kyler in a year that should have Super Bowl aspirations ideally in a rookie's trajectory.
Really have no problem doing it.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Keim said they would like to sign Drake to a long term contract. That would really be best for the RB position. However, Drake needs to be reasonable on his salary demands. We don't need another David Johnson type contract.
As was brought up by Proximo, I don't want to be in the business of signing 27 year old RBs to long term deals. Like, we just narrowly escaped making that awful decision with DJ. Why turn around and do it again?

Really have no problem doing it.
I don't see any Super Bowl or even playoff teams starting day 3 rookie RBs.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As was brought up by Proximo, I don't want to be in the business of signing 27 year old RBs to long term deals. Like, we just narrowly escaped making that awful decision with DJ. Why turn around and do it again?

They don’t necessarily have to start.

Running Back by Committee.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
They don’t necessarily have to start.

Running Back by Committee.
A committee of Edmonds, Benjamin/Foster, and day 3 pick isn't very compelling to me... but we don't have to worry about this until next year.

Drake Just turned 26 years old in January.
Yes, but he'll be 27 when re-signing him for 2021 and beyond.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A committee of Edmonds, Benjamin/Foster, and day 3 pick isn't very compelling to me... but we don't have to worry about this until next year.

Yes, but he'll be 27 when re-signing him for 2021 and beyond.
Didn’t matter to the recent Super Bowl representatives.

Gotta stop believing early round RBs matter in the grand scheme of things man.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Didn’t matter to the recent Super Bowl representatives.

Gotta stop believing early round RBs matter in the grand scheme of things man.
I think you can acquire a decent RB in later rounds, but that it's not a sure thing. Regardless of the Chiefs' success (which I'll go out on a limb and say isn't particularly replicable), they had relatively proven commodities. Williams had played well in stretches, LeSean McCoy was definitely known (and yes, I know he was inactive). If Edmonds or Benjamin come out this year and kill it, no big deal. But leaning heavily on a committee led by complete unknowns sounds rough.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If Edmonds or Benjamin come out this year and kill it,

I tend to think whoever plays at RB will do well with Kyler at QB. Other than David Johnson, who was probably hurt, the other guys performed really well. Edmonds (from 2018 to 2019) and Drake (intra-2019) both improved their YPC by 40% playing with Kyler over their previous QBs.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Both of the Super Bowl teams this past year started UDFAs!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Not UDFAs they just picked up. I'm not saying UDFAs can't be valuable contributors, but counting on them to be your starter is asking for trouble.

RBs dont tend to get better so I dont understand your point here.

Sounds like you were proven wrong and you are equivocating.

What smart teams do is get a stable of backs and roll with it. I betcha the Titans will regret signing Henry of they do.

What I think is the best method is to have 3-4 backs at all times. Next offseason draft a guy to replace Drake. You still have Edmonds and probably Benjamin. Maybe the Ward makes the practice squad and he factors in.

Year after that you have a 2nd year back and if Edmonds comes back on a cheap deal for a few years, cool. If not, another cheap guy.

Rinse and repeat.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
RBs dont tend to get better so I dont understand your point here.

Sounds like you were proven wrong and you are equivocating.

What smart teams do is get a stable of backs and roll with it. I betcha the Titans will regret signing Henry of they do.

What I think is the best method is to have 3-4 backs at all times. Next offseason draft a guy to replace Drake. You still have Edmonds and probably Benjamin. Maybe the Ward makes the practice squad and he factors in.

Year after that you have a 2nd year back and if Edmonds comes back on a cheap deal for a few years, cool. If not, another cheap guy.

Rinse and repeat.
RBs don't tend to get better? The two guys you and DVontel are propping up from the Super Bowl were cut from 1 (Williams) and 6 (Mostert) teams in their careers that are 6 and 5 years long, respectively.

I haven't been "proven wrong" about anything. Neither of these teams trotted out a day-3 rookie as their primary back and went to the Super Bowl or playoffs. Read all of my posts again if you glossed over - I've repeatedly said rookie. A day one or two rookie I might be able to get behind, but not the 7th or 8th back off the board.

I agree with you on cycling backs, but in a year that should have Super Bowl aspirations, we need someone with proven experience or top-end potential.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If you have the right roster and you plan to use the RB on 90% of snaps, taking a RB in the first 3 rounds is not terrible. I think rounds 2 and 3 are preferable, but the end of round 1 can work as well. What you have to commit to is his usage and that you will not be signing him to a second contract.