Jonathon Cooper being released

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I don't know what terms he left the Cardinals on but it will be interesting to see if the Cards claim him due to our G injuries. His salary is reasonable (675k) but he has been injured more than healthy and not sure he has the passion needed to be successful.

It would be an even better trade if he comes back and helps us at G the rest of the year.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I would be surprised if the Cardinals are interested in having Jonathan Cooper return. Let's remember that Cooper was showing extreme difficulty understanding the game plans from week to week---plus he has been battling plantar fascitits, which has limited his practice time and conditioning.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would be surprised if the Cardinals are interested in having Jonathan Cooper return. Let's remember that Cooper was showing extreme difficulty understanding the game plans from week to week---plus he has been battling plantar fascitits, which has limited his practice time and conditioning.

I dont know but to.me he looks like guy with no eager or desire to be succesfull
He got the millionaire contract and he did quit that day

Last edited:

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Cooper is due a fully guaranteed $2.39 million.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I don't know what terms he left the Cardinals on but it will be interesting to see if the Cards claim him due to our G injuries. His salary is reasonable (675k) but he has been injured more than healthy and not sure he has the passion needed to be successful.

It would be an even better trade if he comes back and helps us at G the rest of the year.
He's perpetually injured. Can't rely on him to spell other injured players.

Feel bad for the guy, but he has no place on this roster.

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Cooper was a throw-in, NE still has the 2nd rounder that Cards sent with him. Belichick will wind up doing fine, history tells us. Cards appear to have done fine too.. win/win, at least at this point in time.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cooper was a throw-in, NE still has the 2nd rounder that Cards sent with him. Belichick will wind up doing fine, history tells us. Cards appear to have done fine too.. win/win, at least at this point in time.
Ummmm..... no they used the 2nd.

"The Patriots made the move, in part, for salary-cap flexibility. They later traded the second-round pick to the New Orleans Saints for third- and fourth-round picks -- using the selections on starting guard Joe Thuney and top-four wide receiver Malcolm Mitchell.

Another blown 1st round pick. Wonder what player the Cards could have had with that #7 overall pick?

Well..... here is the rundown on that 1 st round

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/4/...7/4276432/2013-nfl-draft-full-7-round-results

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Coop was the 50th ranked guard by PFF in 2015. If his salary is a fully guarenteed 2.39m this year then nobody is going to claim him off waivers. What happens if he clears waivers? Does that void his contract? Do the Pats have to pay it? Does he then go negotiate a new contract wherever he wants?

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Bellichek finally loses a trade. About time.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Bellichek finally loses a trade. About time.

Not so fast---they traded the 2nd round pick they got for the Cardinals for two good players: starting G Joe Thuney (NC St.) and WR Malcolm Mitchell (Georgia).

Jonathan Cooper was a throw in---they took a chance that OL coach Dante Scarnechia could turn him around.

Here in NE they are very high on Thuney and Mitchell---not saying that they got the better of the deal, but they are happy with the deal, especially since the UFA they signed to replace Jones (Chris Long) has been excellent for them.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
They got a 2nd rounder for a guy with a year left on his deal. That's not losing.
Yep, and if Cards finish sub .500, does he even want to come back? He likely has an under the table agreement to go back to Pats.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Honestly I don't think he was a bust. He was looking good before he broke his leg. After that, he wasn't the same. So I wouldn't consider him a bust, just got that major injury that ruined his career.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I would sign him to a vet minlmum contract if he is able to play soon. Both our starting guards are hurt. If Watford goes down we have nothing to replace him.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Another 1st rd Oline bust the Cards drafted. Why can the current or the former FO not draft quality Oline in the 1st rd.

I was in NY for that draft too, I have pictures of his hat being carried down 5th AVE in a case right before the draft started. Should have known that would be a cursed pick...:titanic: