Jonathan Isaac

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Kind of surprised a thread was never made for Jonathan Isaac as I believe he is a top 6 player in this draft. Isaac is a very intriguing prospect as he has outstanding size and length for the small forward position and has a very nice jump shot and ball handling for a small forward prospect as well.

I believe that much like Booker at Kentucky this is simply a situation where a player was underutilized and will flourish on an NBA roster that chooses to utilize his talents correctly. I would legitimately not be surprised if he ends up being the best player from this draft or at least a top 3 player from this draft.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the asthma has a lot to do with the lack of buzz although I agree, he deserves serious consideration even at the 4.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I finally watched a highlight video on this kid and he is an impressive talent at 6'10" with great ball handling skills, athleticism, and a nice shooting stroke.

He looks like a stud at SF. What's the knock on him? Is the asthma that serious?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isaac is impressive athletically but I suspect he will be more of a project than some of the other players. The asthma does not worry me so much with all new medications on the market. I suspect the Suns will take a long look at him.

I intended to do threads on all the players in the first round and the second round through #32 but there did not appear much interest. However, there is still time.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's tall super lanky and athletic seems to play very hard on both ends. His offense is still pretty raw kind of a Shawn Marion type that they don't really run plays for him his points come on transition and put backs mostly.

His offense may never catch up but I think he can be a an elite defender I wouldn't mind taking him at all. I think his upside is way more than Tatum

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Biggest boom bust guy in draft. And hoping we don't pick this high again I don't know if we can bust which is why I'm scared away from him. stromile swift part deux kills us. But if does pan out and so does chriss I get chills thinking about two athletic 6'10 guys at the forward spots.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Biggest boom bust guy in draft. And hoping we don't pick this high again I don't know if we can bust which is why I'm scared away from him. stromile swift part deux kills us. But if does pan out and so does chriss I get chills thinking about two athletic 6'10 guys at the forward spots.

Throw in Bender as well if he develops. How great would it be to not be playing small ball for once?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Swift had all the talent in the world he was lazy though. Isaac plays hard all the time he's a big time effort guy already.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I like guys that play hard with effort. Should absolutely take a closer look at him.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Swift had all the talent in the world he was lazy though. Isaac plays hard all the time he's a big time effort guy already.
I realize he was on a talented team with a senior leader, but he's that talented and his motor is always revving, why the huge delta in games performance? I mean he had a 2pt game late in the season.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
There was no discussion of him because we were suppose to be picking top 2, top 3 at worst.

The fact we are picking #4 is Trump winning the Presidency-esque BS

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally watched a highlight video on this kid and he is an impressive talent at 6'10" with great ball handling skills, athleticism, and a nice shooting stroke.

He looks like a stud at SF. What's the knock on him? Is the asthma that serious?

asthma is always a potentially big issue because it's exacerbated by extreme exercise like playing basketball.

UCLA and Kevon Looney had that issue, Alford said they were aware of it and Looney never had too many issues but it was pretty obvious in games he was always gasping for air on dead ball and FT situations. With the Warriors he's had so many hip issues it hasn't been the asthma but I have heard the Warriors are very carefully monitoring it with him in practices.

I saw 2 FSU games this year where Isaac was visibly laboring, I had no idea he had asthma(I had it myself as a kid) but just based on Looney at UCLA and my own experience I guessed he did and turned out to be right.

Talented kid, big upside, and yes as someone else said lots of asthma meds out there but they're designed to help average people in normal situations not extremely high end athletes in extreme exertion situations.

That and his total lack of strength are his big issues IMO.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
His ceiling is pretty high but his floor is also on the Noah Vonleh level.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I realize he was on a talented team with a senior leader, but he's that talented and his motor is always revving, why the huge delta in games performance? I mean he had a 2pt game late in the season.

His offense isn't there. He gets points pretty much off effort they don't run plays for him. He looked good in the tournament outside his last game but the whole FSU team looked bad that night

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
One thing I have to wonder is how many plays are we going to run for the new guy? Ullis and Bledsoe both pound the ball, Booker is and should be the focal point of the offense, Chriss seems like he could be a good Pick & Roll type player. Where does the rookie fit in this dynamic?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gambo says the Suns are really intrigued with Isaac and are going to give him a very thorough evaluation.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with doing the due diligence. I think if Gambo said something along the lines of us NOT taking a look at a top player, I'd be more worried.

Isaac is the most unknown guy for me, but this thread has made me intrigued.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
They have to look at him. If he truly has the chops to be a franchise player and the others are just potential all stars I think you take the guy with the highest upside.

Aw crap maybe not. I don't think this team can afford to crap out on this pick.

I'm torn. Highest upside with bust potential or good upside with high floor.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing I have to wonder is how many plays are we going to run for the new guy? Ullis and Bledsoe both pound the ball, Booker is and should be the focal point of the offense, Chriss seems like he could be a good Pick & Roll type player. Where does the rookie fit in this dynamic?

I don't think that's typical for Ulis. Remember, when he was given the reins to close out the season, Watson specifically charged him with focusing on his individual offense. By nature he's much more of a pass first guard than Eric is but in today's game you need to make the defense worry about you, if you don't you're handicapping the rest of the team (see Tucker and Chandler).

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
I don't think that's typical for Ulis. Remember, when he was given the reins to close out the season, Watson specifically charged him with focusing on his individual offense. By nature he's much more of a pass first guard than Eric is but in today's game you need to make the defense worry about you, if you don't you're handicapping the rest of the team (see Tucker and Chandler).

Re-reading my post and your response makes me realize, I couldn't actually describe what the Suns offense is and where these guys fit in. Bledsoe is not a distributor, he likes to drive and create contact or sometimes dish. Booker does get a lot of opportunity to pick and roll but that seems to leave three guys standing around. Can anybody help me with a description of the Suns offense?

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think issac has potential to blow away people during workouts. Maybe even have people thinking of an anthony davis-lite player.

I see him as being a big riser this upcoming month. It's going to be a big descion whether he can reach the potential or nlt.

The other riser seems like it will be dennis smith, reports say he blew away magic during a workout this week, I saw sixers fans starting to talk about him at 3. He was in the elite pg tier a few months ago, before seemingly caring more about not getting injured than playing hard for a bad NC state team.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think issac has potential to blow away people during workouts. Maybe even have people thinking of an anthony davis-lite player.

I see him as being a big riser this upcoming month. It's going to be a big descion whether he can reach the potential or nlt.

The other riser seems like it will be dennis smith, reports say he blew away magic during a workout this week, I saw sixers fans starting to talk about him at 3. He was in the elite pg tier a few months ago, before seemingly caring more about not getting injured than playing hard for a bad NC state team.
Sounds like Fultz, but that didn't seem to stop him from still being considered the #1.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I've seen some comparisons for Isaac to Kevin Durant.

Man, if he can become even half as good as KD then that would be an amazing selection.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Re-reading my post and your response makes me realize, I couldn't actually describe what the Suns offense is and where these guys fit in. Bledsoe is not a distributor, he likes to drive and create contact or sometimes dish. Booker does get a lot of opportunity to pick and roll but that seems to leave three guys standing around. Can anybody help me with a description of the Suns offense?

Welcome to the club! Those of us that have watched it carefully since Watson took over are still wondering. High P&R content, mostly our front. Less isolation than when we had Bled, Dragic and IT, naturally. Fair amount of Booker coming off screens. I sometimes wonder if Earl isn't aiming for a Spur's style O with lots of ball movement but we definitely aren't there. Maybe with a balll handling wing along with Ulis, Booker and Bender it might progress that way. Few classic set plays and no 'motion offense' (Princeton) plays. When Ulis is running the show he probes a lot ala Nash.