Joker 2

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm I wonder where all that money is going to go? I wouldn't say that Joker is a tentpole big property at the moment, but maybe they are changing it up.
i don't know... even though comic book movies have flamed out recently, we've seen big series like Guardians and the last Batman still break from the mold at the recent box office.

Also, the first Joker made over a billion dollars, got multiple oscars nominations including... best picture I think and is adding a pretty big piece to the puzzle with Gaga/musical? And sequels always go bigger so that that's seems like a formula for a tent pole for the sequel.

as to where all the money's going to go, that's a good question. The first one was pretty stripped down until the end. My guess is if this is truly a musical, Todd Phillips goes kinda wild with huge musical set-pieces and more chaos.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm I wonder where all that money is going to go? I wouldn't say that Joker is a tentpole big property at the moment, but maybe they are changing it up.
I just read that Phoenix is getting $20 million and Lady Gaga is getting close to $15 million. That alone is nearly 2/3 of the first films budget.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
i don't know... even though comic book movies have flamed out recently, we've seen big series like Guardians and the last Batman still break from the mold at the recent box office.

Also, the first Joker made over a billion dollars, got multiple oscars nominations including... best picture I think and is adding a pretty big piece to the puzzle with Gaga/musical? And sequels always go bigger so that that's seems like a formula for a tent pole for the sequel.

as to where all the money's going to go, that's a good question. The first one was pretty stripped down until the end. My guess is if this is truly a musical, Todd Phillips goes kinda wild with huge musical set-pieces and more chaos.
The first movie was a straight drama, more like a psychological thriller, so 60m isn't that big of a stretch, but to go to $200m? If a majority of that jump is Lady Gaga, then they were stupid for casting her. That's a massive jump for a sequel to a movie that isn't a tentpole action movie like Guardians and Batman.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I just read that Phoenix is getting $20 million and Lady Gaga is getting close to $15 million. That alone is nearly 2/3 of the first films budget.
And...? That's a lot of money, sure, but it's not 200m.

I don't think its unreasonable to question where all that money is going to.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree. I was just pointing out that that a large portion this time around is going to the two stars salaries. 17.5% of the overall budget. Phoenix went from $4.5 million to $20 million and the budget when from $60 million to $200 million. That's a decent chunk of the new budget. So just pointing that out.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first movie was a straight drama, more like a psychological thriller, so 60m isn't that big of a stretch, but to go to $200m? If a majority of that jump is Lady Gaga, then they were stupid for casting her. That's a massive jump for a sequel to a movie that isn't a tentpole action movie like Guardians and Batman.
I expect a sequel to go a lot bigger with more set pieces and grand song and dance numbers. Musicals can be pretty price if you’re shooting on a massive scale.

Also, I’m betting there’s like 60 million going to salary alone split between it’s two stars and Director.

Anywho, I’m def interested to see what Phillips is going to put on screen.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I'm getting a really bad feeling about this movie now. First the musical aspect of it, now the $200m budget. It seems like they're going to take the psychological thriller of the first and turn it a typical effects laden comic movie but with singing.

I was really hoping that the success of the first would make the studios see that you can make big money off a scaled back, grittier move and that everything doesn't have to be filmed like an MCU movie.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

its going into special effects of course...enough to distract the director from his original vision and turn it into a disjointed mishmash