JJ Watt signs with AZ

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Reggie was the best DLineman I've ever seen & I've seen a ton of them. People forget how massively strong he was. I would argue that he was the best defensive player ever at ANY position.
LT, Aaron Donald, & Reggie. Pick the order, but that's the top 3.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I really think that the team expects another jump in production from the offense this year regardless of the talent we bring in.

And building up a fierce pass rush will counter the issues we may probably see in our secondary. Just my 2 cents.
Absolutely. It's common sense that if you have elite corners, your pass rush doesn't need to be elite. And conversely, if you have an elite pass rush, your corner play doesn't have to be elite. I actually prefer the latter. Elite corners are very difficult to come by & very difficult to draft with certainty that they'll pan out.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We could let Reddick walk, re-sign Golden and draft Ojulari or Oweh or Rousseau in round 1. As long as we sign Corey Linsley, Brandon Scherff or Taylor Moton in FA, we are still good. Building the lines.

I do not want to go chasing Reddick with big money. He is a one year wonder....who had 5 sacks out of his 12.5 come in one game. I like the kid...but he has not done anything to get 15 million a year or whatever people are predicting.

I would say Watt + Golden + a starting veteran CB and we have a solid defense. Draft could bring some BPA guys like an edge rusher and Cb

Oh yea...we better be bringing back Gardeck. He is our #3OLB as far as I'm concerned. That guys balled out this year and has earned more playing time.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
yea paying Fitz again would actually be worse IMO
Would rather have speed at wr on field

Love fitz my all time card but honestly he shoupd retire maybe be a wr coach hall of fame player

But cards need a lot more speed at wr

But if fotz comes back for 1 more yr ill be happy he is good at blocking can still occasionally make a awesome catch

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
dude... you are expecting not only lots of other shoes to drop, but very expensive ones as well.
Not really. I am expecting us to spend money on one high priced offensive lineman. I expect that will sign Golden who will cost around 4 to 5 mil. Those are almost givens. It is like Corey Peters. We will very likely sign him for cheap unless he doesn't want to come back.

Reddick is a question mark.

Larry is a question mark.

A high priced FA WR is a question mark.

That said, they can make it ALL work. Keim doesn't want to get fired. This is what emptying the clip looks like.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I really hope I am wrong about Chandler, but those 4 games last year make me very worried about an extension.
4 games just isn't enough of a sample to make any determination. Chandler is a Syracuse alum & I know people who have been in their program for many years. To a man, they all loved Chandler Jones. NO ONE worked harder, except maybe his brother, who also went to SU. If anyone will be fired up to return with a vengeance, it'll be Chandler Jones. I expect him to have a great season.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I will at least say this, there is a TOTAL void of leadership on this team. Kyler isn't one of those guys at this point. Hop is too full of himself to be as well. But Watt is that guy. So that will help.
Amen! Maybe the best post of this thread.

Card Fan 2 B

Reaction score
New here, wanted to share this JJ signing from a Texans fan perspective. JJ played every snap last year, with no talent around him, it’s amazing what type of year he had. Sacks (6) were not there but every team we played dinked, dunked in the passing game and double or triple teamed him every play plus the holding no calls are going to blow your mind next year as they have to hold him or he destroys everything. He is still in top 10 in the league with TFL 14 (same as Donald). Worst run defense in the league and it was easy to scheme, run away from 99. JJ was #7 in tackles for the Texans with 57 (at DT/DE). Texans onlyy 3 int for the whole team and JJ had one of those plus it was a pick 6. JJ was tied for 1st with 7 pass deflections (vs our DB) for the Texans.

Card Fan 2 B

Reaction score
If your defense has any talent at all to take the double or triple team off JJ he is going to be a top 5 player. Just my opinion, after watching all of 2020. Oh and stats don’t lie, JJ Watt was the most double teamed player in 2020 and if they tracked tackled by offensive lineman from behind or choke held without a flag, there would be no one even close.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
New here, wanted to share this JJ signing from a Texans fan perspective. JJ played every snap last year, with no talent around him, it’s amazing what type of year he had. Sacks (6) were not there but every team we played dinked, dunked in the passing game and double or triple teamed him every play plus the holding no calls are going to blow your mind next year as they have to hold him or he destroys everything. He is still in top 10 in the league with TFL 14 (same as Donald). Worst run defense in the league and it was easy to scheme, run away from 99. JJ was #7 in tackles for the Texans with 57 (at DT/DE). Texans onlyy 3 int for the whole team and JJ had one of those plus it was a pick 6. JJ was tied for 1st with 7 pass deflections (vs our DB) for the Texans.

Solid post, thanks. Sure looks even bleaker for the Texans now, so you are welcome to jump on the Cards bandwagon for a while.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If your defense has any talent at all to take the double or triple team off JJ he is going to be a top 5 player. Just my opinion, after watching all of 2020. Oh and stats don’t lie, JJ Watt was the most double teamed player in 2020 and if they tracked tackled by offensive lineman from behind or choke held without a flag, there would be no one even close.

Great hearing this from you, from a fan perspective based on real watching him instead of focusing on dropped numbers by stats sheets
Thank u

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Would like Fitz back for about $3 to 4million per year not any more. He made a lot of money over the years from the Cards so if he really wants to come back he gotta help the team's $$ cap.
Reddick is gone. Cards are not going to resign him. They will cut CB Alford and that will free up another $7.5 million. Cards need to sign an experienced CB and WR neither should be for big buck players. Fill the rest of there needs in the draft lots of good OL and WRs. I do like the JJ Watt signing and realize there is risk.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
I think a lot of posters here have forgotten how good JJ is. Maybe we slightly overpaid but DE was a huge weakness on this team and he immediately shores it up. Yes he has been injured recently but when he plays he is excellent.

We can still pay for Reddick and we will make a good bit of cap space by (hopefully) cutting Kennard, Alford and extending Chandler.

WindCardinal

All Star
Reaction score
I think a lot of posters here have forgotten how good JJ is. Maybe we slightly overpaid but DE was a huge weakness on this team and he immediately shores it up. Yes he has been injured recently but when he plays he is excellent.

We can still pay for Reddick and we will make a good bit of cap space by (hopefully) cutting Kennard, Alford and extending Chandler.

agreed, it would be a mistake to let Reddick walk

Card Fan 2 B

Reaction score

played all of 2020 with no issues.. dude also played in the playoffs in 2019. Just Saying...