JJ Watt signs with AZ

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Reggie White was still beyond dominant, coming off three consecutive 16 game seasons with 14/15/14 sacks in each and no injury history.

There’s no comparison there. If we had signed Watt three years ago when he was at the top of his game, that would be a comparison.

also, looking at Reggie White’s stats just now... GOOD LORD. He was beyond beast pretty much his entire career. I mean, even at age 37, in his final season he got 16 SACKS.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WhitRe00.htm

I remember him being great, especially on those Eagles teams that used to pulverize us, but the longevity and havoc he was able to wreak so late into his career is pretty astounding.
And only missed 8 games across 14 seasons. That’s flat out superhuman.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Things to remember.

JJ Watt had better stats in 2020 than Calais Campbell, Fletcher Cox, and other highly paid DTs. So the money was higher than I thought, but not crazy.

Chandler Jones is getting an extension which should free up around 9 mil so 66% of year 1 is covered.

Jordan Phillips said it in his tweet...Who are you going to double? That sums up the strategy here.

Between Allen, Lawrence and Fotu we have youth and depth to reduce Watts snap % from the 90% he played last year.

I expect these will be similar reasons we will bring back Reddick and Golden. They are trying to stack the front 7.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
WTF? 2 years for 31 million?!

this is a terrible Emmitt Smith contract. Adios Reddick and most of our cap space.

I’ll go on record and say this is a bad move. Hope to eat ALL the crow on it.
$24M guaranteed, damn if Watt got that I'd hate to see what the top free agents get this year!!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
i think Robinson can get $22 - 25mm a year

I had an economics professor break down how dumb it is for sports teams to add too many big contracts.

Essentially there are only a certain not number of actual passes to catch. The Cardinals could add a 2nd round receiver who could bring close enough to Robinson's production for a fraction of the cost.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
We are buying time to draft and develop. I odn't know if it will work, but that is what we are doing.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You know what. Screw it.

CJ and TJ on the same team. I'm just going to enjoy it and hope for the best. If it works out then Yay. If not Keim gets fired and Yay.

You must be registered for see images attach
Yup this is where I’m at. My brain is like “eh . . . “ but the fan in me is like “we signed JJ WATT!” So I’ll let the fan rule the day.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are buying time to draft and develop. I odn't know if it will work, but that is what we are doing.

this assumes other shoes are about to fall as well with Reddick and Golden. Cards and Suns fans often fall for the "other shoe" theory and are consistently left waiting for it to happen.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't see how this move is any worse than paying a 37 year old Larry his annual 11 million tbh.

It's not worse - Larry cannot be paid that much again. He would be overpaid at 2 million a year.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Is it feasible to dump both Phillips and Kennard, or are we just dumping Kennard this offseason?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Forgot to mention that I think we are a 50/50 shot at Hard Knocks now with the Cowboys......

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
this assumes other shoes are about to fall as well with Reddick and Golden. Cards and Suns fans often fall for the "other shoe" theory and are consistently left waiting for it to happen.
We could let Reddick walk, re-sign Golden and draft Ojulari or Oweh or Rousseau in round 1. As long as we sign Corey Linsley, Brandon Scherff or Taylor Moton in FA, we are still good. Building the lines.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I had an economics professor break down how dumb it is for sports teams to add too many big contracts.

Essentially there are only a certain not number of actual passes to catch. The Cardinals could add a 2nd round receiver who could bring close enough to Robinson's production for a fraction of the cost.

The really important word in that sentence is "could". How many 2nd round receivers turn out as good as Allen Robinson? 25%?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We could let Reddick walk, re-sign Golden and draft Ojulari or Oweh or Rousseau in round 1. As long as we sign Corey Linsley, Brandon Scherff or Taylor Moton in FA, we are still good. Building the lines.

dude... you are expecting not only lots of other shoes to drop, but very expensive ones as well.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is it feasible to dump both Phillips and Kennard, or are we just dumping Kennard this offseason?

Phillips should be dumped, but I think we gave him a ton of guaranteed money. I knew when we signed him it was a horrible deal.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really not sure about this... It feels like we overpaid for a slowing/aging player. Seriously wonder how much Watt has left...
No doubt this is a major swing for the fences by Keim. Wonder if this will impact Fitz’s decision-making..

hopefully he decides to retire instead of us overpaying for mediocre level production

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will at least say this, there is a TOTAL void of leadership on this team. Kyler isn't one of those guys at this point. Hop is too full of himself to be as well. But Watt is that guy. So that will help.

I said that 12 pages ago :)

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

We can dump Alford rather that than Phillips, but I understand if he's on the outside looking in

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You're telling me that Reggie White had four more sacks in his last year with the Packers than Hasson Reddick had in his final year with the Cardinals, well that's impressive.
Reggie was the best DLineman I've ever seen & I've seen a ton of them. People forget how massively strong he was. I would argue that he was the best defensive player ever at ANY position.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave