JJ Watt possibly out for the season

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
it happens

everyone, including Keim, new the risk JJ represented.

every other contender either has, or will lose a key starter or starters. Its NFL reality

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Dude plays lights out every snap. He's the kind of guy who dives for a scrambling QB and hurts his shoulder in a game vs an offense that averages 8 points. He could have phoned that game in but never does.

I'll take 7 games of Watt than 16 games of Philips (not that we will eve rget 16 games of Philips).

People here been saying how what was awesome, what a great signing he has been for 7 weeks and now he got hurt they are all "He's always injured. What did you expect?"

Can't have it both way. Still a fantastic signing. Worth every penny of the rest of this years salary just to have him in the locker room and on the sideline. He makes other guys run through walls.
If we knew he was only going to play 7 games and Philip’s was going to play all 17 you take philips every day of the week. I understand what your post is saying, but it’s kinda silly. No nfl team pays a player $15M hoping to get less than half a season of games outta him bc he’s such a locker room guy.

Reactions: PJ1

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we knew he was only going to play 7 games and Philip’s was going to play all 17 you take philips every day of the week. I understand what your post is saying, but it’s kinda silly. No nfl team pays a player $15M hoping to get less than half a season of games outta him bc he’s such a locker room guy.

You’re really going to engage this conversation with someone who has a pathological inability to ever admit they’re wrong, huh?

This should be fun.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
He’s been IR four times in the last six years. Last year was the anomaly.

Ayup, sad to say.

Dude plays lights out every snap. He's the kind of guy who dives for a scrambling QB and hurts his shoulder in a game vs an offense that averages 8 points. He could have phoned that game in but never does.

I'll take 7 games of Watt than 16 games of Philips (not that we will eve rget 16 games of Philips).

People here been saying how what was awesome, what a great signing he has been for 7 weeks and now he got hurt they are all "He's always injured. What did you expect?"

Can't have it both way. Still a fantastic signing. Worth every penny of the rest of this years salary just to have him in the locker room and on the sideline. He makes other guys run through walls.

You absolutely can have it both ways. I am pleased with the production and leadership he has given this team through 7 games, helping us to a 7-0 record. I was more than willing to give Keim credit because he took a giant risk and it appeared to be panning out. Unfortunately, that giant risk has now backfired, and we're left with a gaping hole that he had no backup plan for. When you push all in on an aging, oft-injured star, you often lose all your chips. So, we can be happy that we got a great 7 games out of him and still burn Keim for a risky strategy that has now backfired.

There is no way anyone could be mad at the effort he gave us for those 7 games. And that injury was made while giving max effort on a play most would have stopped caring about.

With that being said...... I am confident of two things.

1. JJ plays a role on this team for the rest of the season no matter what he decides to do.
2. Keim pushes his stones on the table big time to fill the void.

Absolutely. I've loved having JJ on the team for 7 games. We are absolutely screwed on the DL without him, though, and have nobody to adequately replace him. The added risk in risky signings is when you don't hedge against your bets. Keim didn't. We'll see what he can do to get out of a problem of his own making.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This sucks for him and obviously the Cards. You just wonder how much left in the physical tank he has left? I know he is more than capable to come back and not miss a beat, but is he just one that is cursed with injury bug? Hopefully surgery goes to plan and he picks up right where he left off. Who do we have to replace him?

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
This sucks, but the doom and gloom is likely unwarranted. The offense is certainly talented enough to help mitigate the drop in defensive production. Plus I think the defense isn't suddenly going to become awful. Yeah, they may lose some games and perhaps secure a Wild Card instead of division title.

However, this team can still make a deep playoff run.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ayup, sad to say.

You absolutely can have it both ways. I am pleased with the production and leadership he has given this team through 7 games, helping us to a 7-0 record. I was more than willing to give Keim credit because he took a giant risk and it appeared to be panning out. Unfortunately, that giant risk has now backfired, and we're left with a gaping hole that he had no backup plan for. When you push all in on an aging, oft-injured star, you often lose all your chips. So, we can be happy that we got a great 7 games out of him and still burn Keim for a risky strategy that has now backfired.

Absolutely. I've loved having JJ on the team for 7 games. We are absolutely screwed on the DL without him, though, and have nobody to adequately replace him. The added risk in risky signings is when you don't hedge against your bets. Keim didn't. We'll see what he can do to get out of a problem of his own making.
I think it goes too far to say we are “absolutely screwed” without watt. It takes maybe the biggest piece of the defensive puzzle away, and that surely has trickle down impact. But the truth is that this defense is still pretty talented. Simmons, budda and Murphy seem top shelf. Golden has been terrific. Alford, Thompson, Wilson, Hicks are playing well. Hopefully chandler has something left in the tank. Phillips looked good in his return. Hopefully the kids (Collins, fotu, lawrence, Allen) and stalwarts (Peters and Kennard) can be solid contributors consistently. They just won’t be the recipients of the trickle down impact of jj wreaking havoc. Probably means closer games as the defense allows more scoring, but we had some wiggle room.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Nobody said he wasn’t great for 7 weeks but the data says he’s injury prone. It’s crazy that people are suggesting a possible second opinion and playing it out. The only way he’s worth the contract is if he healthy and productive next season.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it goes too far to say we are “absolutely screwed” without watt. It takes maybe the biggest piece of the defensive puzzle away, and that surely has trickle down impact. But the truth is that this defense is still pretty talented. Simmons, budda and Murphy seem top shelf. Golden has been terrific. Alford, Thompson, Wilson, Hicks are playing well. Hopefully chandler has something left in the tank. Phillips looked good in his return. Hopefully the kids (Collins, fotu, lawrence, Allen) and stalwarts (Peters and Kennard) can be solid contributors consistently. They just won’t be the recipients of the trickle down impact of jj wreaking havoc. Probably means closer games as the defense allows more scoring, but we had some wiggle room.

This. It’s a blow and a big one, but like I said yesterday, I’ve seen plenty of Super Bowl teams lose stars or even superstars and still make it to the big game.

The D has been great. If they can still stay just good or solid Our offense is dynamic enough to still win this whole damn thing.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Possible to still play with it strapped up depending how bad it is. Possible Watt is deciding whether he wants to try play through it or call it on the season. Considering our record I'm guessing he doesn't want his season to end.

Jamal Adams played with a turn labrum most of last season and he's a full contact player down in the box.
It's one thing to play the box to tackle a running back...it's entirely different when you're trying to move 300+ pound lineman out of the way, to get to the RB or QB. I think if Watt just needed to make tackles, he could do that with the shoulder harness on and have surgery after the season. He won't be effective, pushing the biggies out of the way with just one arm, though.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I think Watt has been clearly the most important player on the D - he's either demanding a double or embarrassing teams when 1 on 1.

Our best hope is Phillips stays healthy and productive, but I really hope we plan on adding another body in the middle. We know the folly of relying on Phillips.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I think Watt has been clearly the most important player on the D - he's either demanding a double or embarrassing teams when 1 on 1.

Our best hope is Phillips stays healthy and productive, but I really hope we plan on adding another body in the middle. We know the folly of relying on Phillips.
Agreed. Phillips will be more effective with a rotation.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
It does appear to be a new injury not related to previous surgeries. Very little chance of a return this season though he is a rehab warrior. If any player can make it back, it’s him. I’m being told though the injury was in-game playing with it didn’t change the outcome. Watt plays through stuff mortal men are not able to comprehend. I think it’s fair to say he felt so good that he convinced the Cards to let him play far beyond the intended snap count when Keim signed him.

It remains to be seen if the Cards can make a move cap-wise. They’d need someone to restructure. It certainly changes their focus for the draft. That D-line is looking pretty old, football age-wise.

I still like the Cards to make the playoffs but the Super Bowl odds have shifted. I feel sad for Watt, he is a transformative player who deserved a better fate. I‘m still glad the Cards rolled the dice. It was extraordinary to watch him play week to week. I would be shocked if he didn’t play next season, but maybe more judiciously used.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayup, sad to say.

No, it hasn't backfired. How do you have a back up plan for JJ Watt? Aaron Donald as depth?

The backup plan is Philips/Allen/Dogbe the same as it would be on any other team.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You’re really going to engage this conversation with someone who has a pathological inability to ever admit they’re wrong, huh?

This should be fun.

You talking about me? That's not going to happen considering I have had him on ignore for several weeks. I prefer my football talk without a side dose of self righteousness.

As for you. When I'm wrong I admit I'm wrong. I just don't have to admit I'm wrong when you don't understand what I meant.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

This is very silly.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I mean, obviously "most important player on D" is an opinion that's impossible to quantify. But Watt was playing just over 80% of the defensive snaps. Our defense went from 10th in DVOA last year to 2nd now, and there have been a lot of moving parts contributing to that change.

The defensive line this year is 19th in adjusted line yards and 5th in adjusted sack rate. Last year we were 18th and 9th.

If I had to guess, I'd wager that either Budda Baker or Simmons have been the most important player on the defense. They're out there almost all the time. Simmons is a matchup nightmare and has relieved the stress on a secondary that has been undermanned. Baker hasn't been coming downhill to make big plays, but he's absolutely locked down the middle of the field in a role that I didn't think he'd be comfortable in.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
We are talented, but even WITH JJ we were going to have problems against the run, as already seen earlier in the season. Without Watt, we need beyond Herculean efforts from the rest of the D to get over a huge weakness against the run. Yes, granted, we're set up to win shootout style games. Yes, we'll make the playoffs. Losing Watt, I think, takes us from SB contender to just hoping we can make a playoff run.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
How is any of this even remotely possible? Was this a practice injury? A torn bicep would have been obvious.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
ok so Gambo's report of him getting a second opinion and possibly playing through it are obviously not accurate

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
It sucks that we lost Watt but a dislocated shoulder can happen to any player. Bad luck. Getting Chandler will help especially if he locates his jock and plays like he did in game one.