Jim Traber

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I can't believe how bad Traber choked last night when Tom Brenneman had to leave the game and Greg Schutle had to come up to the booth. I was watching the game thinking....why won't he just shut up? Then later realized that Traber was all alone in the booth for TWO BATTERS and he got all nervous.

When Gonzalez hit his first homerun he blew the call because he was watching the outfielder (which as a fan in the ball park you should always do) and then said "Walker deked me" like 50 times. I hate that guy!!!

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ryanwb
I can't believe how bad Traber choked last night when Tom Brenneman had to leave the game and Greg Schutle had to come up to the booth. I was watching the game thinking....why won't he just shut up? Then later realized that Traber was all alone in the booth for TWO BATTERS and he got all nervous.

When Gonzalez hit his first homerun he blew the call because he was watching the outfielder (which as a fan in the ball park you should always do) and then said "Walker deked me" like 50 times. I hate that guy!!!

Yeah, and I'm sure if you were the color guy, and your play-by-play guy suddenly had to bail, you'd be calm, collected and perfect throughout the rest of the game...lol

Give the guy a break, I thought he did fine. Walker did look like he was getting under it, and it's not that big a deal that Traber was looking at him. It's hard to tell sometimes where the ball is going.

Mike

DbaxJ

I was lost but now I'm found
Reaction score
Thom's wife went into labor with their first child.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Leave Traber alone he is much better than Steve Lyons and old man Gargiola

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by ASUCHRIS

I don't mind Lyons but Joe Sr drives me nuts and I cannot stand listening to him do games.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by ASUCHRIS

I agree with you completely. Lyons mocks players. Garagiola is boringingly old.

Matrix31

Rookie
Reaction score
I dont really mind any announcers. Traber does get annoying at times when he starts going off about food. I think Lyons is hillarious, like Skorp said, i love when he mocks players, especially Baerga when he runs. I also like Joe G Sr, he has some interesting stories

AzKarl

Veteran
Reaction score
Most of the crew is respectable

Traber gets on my nerves sometimes but he is a decent analyst. Psycho is psycho and rightfully irreverent when he needs to be. Joe Sr. is a treasure only a true baseball fan can enjoy. I'm 48 years old and have been a baseball fan since 1962 and his stories and insights into the game explain why he is a hall of famer. He tells it like it is when someone screws up and mixes it up with just the right amount of hometown spin. His mind is still quick and he is not an embarrassment in the Harry Carey mold. I hope Joe Sr. stays as long as he wants to because he is a treasure. Brenneman is a pro as is Shulte. I like Jeff Munn on radio as well when he fills in.

OP
OP
R

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't like Jeff Munn either, he sounds too stiff. When he tries to make a joke, it sounds like it is either rehersed or he is just trying really really hard. I like the color guy on the radio, he is good

moviegeekjn

Registered
Reaction score
Re: Most of the crew is respectable

Originally posted by AzKarl
His mind is still quick and he is not an embarrassment in the Harry Carey mold.
Unfortunate that younger listeners never got to hear Harry Caray in his prime! Granted, he suffered numerous memory lapses after his stroke, but his love for the game continued to shine through.... and he was much beloved in both St. Louis and Chicago for his enthusiastic promotion of the game, and the way he "told it like it was" long before Howard Cosell coined the phrase...

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't like Jeff Munn either, he sounds too stiff. When he tries to make a joke, it sounds like it is either rehersed or he is just trying really really hard. I like the color guy on the radio, he is good

Agreed...I like the guy, but too stiff...

Mike

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I like Jeff Munn. If he is stiff, it is in the Vin Scully mode. Vinny is, and was, one of the all-time best.

Jeff Munn, considering that his "day job" is as sideline announcer for the Suns, and now D'backs, is very knowledgable about the game of baseball and its history.

And Victor Rojas, on radio, has proven himself to be knowledgeable and easy to listen to, doing either color or play-by-play.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jim Traber has the mentality of a an adolescent -- oops, I didn't mean to insult adolescents. "Big Todd Walsh", "Psychoooooooo", childish sound effects while the play-by-play guy is trying to talk, etc. It's just not funny!

I'm glad Thom's wife had a girl . . . so we don't have to listen to "Jimmy T. Brennaman" comments anymore from you-know who.

Remember, Traber is the guy who, when Brennaman asked if he rode a cable car in San Francisco, answered, "I didn't ride the "trolley" car -- I sat in my room and drank!" Yeah, he makes an adolescent seem mature!

OP
OP
R

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I kid you not, actually transpired on the radio today on my way home:

Victor Rojas: I don't think Denver has a Peter Piper Pizza
Jeff Munn: I believe you are correct
Victor Rojas: But if they did, it would be the best pizza in town
Jeff Munn: You aren't kidding

:|

Matrix31

Rookie
Reaction score
Peter Piper PIzza is really underrated. I for some reason really like it. Not my favorite but it is a good pizza for some reason.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Is Peter Piper Pizza the "official" pizza of the D'backs?

If so, it would explain Jeff and Victor's comments. They have to appease the sponsors!

Really, guys! Peter Piper is to pizza as Jack-in-the-Box is to Philly cheese-steak or an Asian chicken-and-rice bowl. Ugh! :?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
A tribute to Schulte and Traber!

Tom Brennaman controls Traber's antics in the booth to a large degree. Greg Schulte cannot!

BTW, here's a photo of Schulte and Traber . . .

Attachments

• schulte&traber.jpg
    schulte&traber.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 77
OP
OP
R

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by Matrix31
Peter Piper PIzza is really underrated. I for some reason really like it. Not my favorite but it is a good pizza for some reason.

Yeah I like it too for some reason, it isn't overly greasy and tastes good drunk or sober :D

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section? " She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.
That's funny! But hey, if ya could find it yourself, maybe you wouldn't need it!

(I wonder if that's some sort of oxymoron.)

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Yeah I like it too for some reason, it isn't overly greasy and tastes good drunk or sober :D
uhhh, are we still talking about pizza? (j/k)