Jevon Carter

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The key for me isn’t the minuscule difference between their defensive style, but their ability on the offensive end. Can either one run a team? Can either one shoot?

Melton couldn’t run the team OR shoot, so I have no problem giving Carter a go. Both Rubio and Ty Jerome are known as team guys, so we don’t have much to lose at this point giving these guys what amounts to an audition.

Carter is worse offensively than Melton despite being 2-3 years older.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Carter is worse offensively than Melton despite being 2-3 years older.
Are you sure about that? From what I understand the sample size is pretty small for Carter.

EDIT: Looks like a crapshoot to me, since Melton is only around for his potential.

In other words, Melton simply has many more natural physical traits to work with than Carter. He is three years younger, two inches taller, a better athlete, a better facilitator, and a more resourceful scorer. Jevon Carter’s work ethic and ability/mentality on defense is certainly an asset that most teams would love to have on their roster; however, De’Anthony Melton is simply the more intriguing overall talent if developed correctly. He showed the ability to score at different levels on offense, as well as being able to defend multiple positions on defense.

https://www.grizzlybearblues.com/2019/7/9/20687181/melton-vs-carter-a-war-of-philosophy-nba-trade-grizzlies-suns

This is also a Grizzlies blog post, so it might be biased since they want the guy they just acquired to look good.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Are you sure about that? From what I understand the sample size is pretty small for Carter.

EDIT: Looks like a crapshoot to me, since Melton is only around for his potential.

https://www.grizzlybearblues.com/2019/7/9/20687181/melton-vs-carter-a-war-of-philosophy-nba-trade-grizzlies-suns

This is also a Grizzlies blog post, so it might be biased since they want the guy they just acquired to look good.

LOL Melton proved....nothing last year....this sounds like a deluded fan trying to not only convince the reader, but also to convince himself.

9 times out of 10 Melton was a nonfactor. And it's not like he didnt get PT to prove himself, he got a lot of unearned PT.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Grizzlies liked Melton more than Carter, it helps to explain some of the details of the Josh Jackson trade. That's about it. Either team will be lucky if it works out.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Melton got his hands on the ball often but other than that I was never thrilled with his defense. Carter reminds me a lot of Derek Fisher but with even better hands. He has an obvious NBA skill, I just don't know if it will be enough to keep him on the floor.
Fisher developed a pretty good jumper later in his career. I remember a few games where he got hot shooting and actually got some standing ovations. His defense and PG generalship got him on the floor. Later in his career he could take over some games with his offense. Carter is similar in that he needs time in the league to develop his jumper. Fisher was lucky because they needed a distributor more than a shooter early in his career. Suns are similar right now, but we have a lot of PGs to get in the rotation. It will be fascinating to see how that develops this season.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bet he will be one of those players that we love for being scrappy but don't count on him ever being able to run a team like Fisher. Sure it's a great stretch goal but that is setting the bar really high.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Fisher developed a pretty good jumper later in his career. I remember a few games where he got hot shooting and actually got some standing ovations. His defense and PG generalship got him on the floor. Later in his career he could take over some games with his offense. Carter is similar in that he needs time in the league to develop his jumper. Fisher was lucky because they needed a distributor more than a shooter early in his career. Suns are similar right now, but we have a lot of PGs to get in the rotation. It will be fascinating to see how that develops this season.
You and I must’ve watched different Derek fishers. Other than his defense and his corner 3 pointer and eventual veteran leadership we didn’t watch the same guy. He was never a pg general. Not in the triangle. And I don’t think he ever “took over games with his offense.”

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You and I must’ve watched different Derek fishers. Other than his defense and his corner 3 pointer and eventual veteran leadership we didn’t watch the same guy. He was never a pg general. Not in the triangle. And I don’t think he ever “took over games with his offense.”

Agreed. If you googled mediocre NBA point guard, I'd imagine Derek Fisher would be the picture you'd find.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Agreed. If you googled mediocre NBA point guard, I'd imagine Derek Fisher would be the picture you'd find.

Ok so I just took myself up on this task, and in fact, if you Google mediocre point guard, many MUCH better players popped up.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I guess I bought into Chick Hearn's discriptions during games. I do remember Fisher getting better, especially later in his career.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He was never a star level general. That is true but he was competent with the ball, consistent and had a knack for timely big shots in games. You already mentioned his defense.

That is still way better than the revolving door of PG we have seen on this team.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He was never a star level general. That is true but he was competent with the ball, consistent and had a knack for timely big shots in games. You already mentioned his defense.

That is still way better than the revolving door of PG we have seen on this team.
Absolutely better. In fact i often said he was the exact type of player I thought we needed - good defense, timely shooter, good leader. But was subpar putting the ball on the floor, wasn’t a threat on the drive, and wasn’t a distributor. Didn’t make people better. Was just a good piece alongside Shaq and Kobe on an offense that didn’t need a distributor.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Seriously guys, how does he make Kobe and Shaq better? Logically you don't. Just don't make them worse. As Larry Bird said during a playoff game, "Just get me the ball, and get the F out of the way!"

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seriously guys, how does he make Kobe and Shaq better? Logically you don't. Just don't make them worse. As Larry Bird said during a playoff game, "Just get me the ball, and get the F out of the way!"
You make them better by not making them worse. A player like Kyrie would have been a disaster next to Kobe and Shaq. He would have diminished their games by taking the ball out of their hands and frustrating them. Fisher was a perfect complement.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
You make them better by not making them worse. A player like Kyrie would have been a disaster next to Kobe and Shaq. He would have diminished their games by taking the ball out of their hands and frustrating them. Fisher was a perfect complement.
exactly!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA