Jevon Carter

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Whatever else has happened this week, I am excited about Jevon Carter. I have really liked this player since before he was drafted. He is just an intense bulldog on D. I think he is much better than Melton as a defender. He is bouncy, strong, and aggressive. He shot 40% from three in college and he seemed to be adjusting to the nba distance by the end of last year. He is an upgrade over Melton in my opinion. He is also a team captain/leader type.

I am concerned about our pf position, but this is a bright spot. We really have some good D at pf now.

Rubio—passing and d.
Jerome—shooting and passing
Carter—d and shooting (I think that is where he will be)

Okobo is going to have to play the 2 or be moved.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thanks for your comments on Carter as I am not familiar with him. Gambo, for what it's worth, on his radio show yesterday said that Carter is a keeper and that Okobo would either be traded or dropped. He also said that the Suns really like Carter.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I like carter too but wouldn’t describe him as “bouncy.” I think he has an opportunity to be a modern day Derek fisher or younger Patrick Beverly.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever else has happened this week, I am excited about Jevon Carter. I have really liked this player since before he was drafted. He is just an intense bulldog on D. I think he is much better than Melton as a defender. He is bouncy, strong, and aggressive. He shot 40% from three in college and he seemed to be adjusting to the nba distance by the end of last year. He is an upgrade over Melton in my opinion. He is also a team captain/leader type.

I am concerned about our pf position, but this is a bright spot. We really have some good D at pf now.

Rubio—passing and d.
Jerome—shooting and passing
Carter—d and shooting (I think that is where he will be)

Okobo is going to have to play the 2 or be moved.

I didn't realize how horrible Okobo shot last season.... .393 FG%. This does not bode well for his future.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/o/okoboel01.html

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Carter shot 27% on two-point attempts last season, and he'll be 24 before the season starts. Nothing's happening there.
I think that is a bit of a simplistic way of looking at it. Ultimately he was still a rookie out there learning how to score over NBA big men and against NBA defenses in general. While I wouldn't expect his talent to get significantly better than where it is I could absolutely see him improving in his understanding of the game and decision making and that would help him to be more efficient of a scorer.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Carter shot 27% on two-point attempts last season, and he'll be 24 before the season starts. Nothing's happening there.
That is an aberration from his college shooting. I expect that to return to the norm. That kind of drop is usually poor shot selection while trying to adjust to an NBA offense. A lot of good shooters in college, even upper classmen, take some time to make this transition. Buddy Hield is an example.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like carter too but wouldn’t describe him as “bouncy.” I think he has an opportunity to be a modern day Derek fisher or younger Patrick Beverly.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

He is a decent jumper, but by bouncy I am thinking of the way he responds defensively.

Magnus

Veteran
Reaction score
I really like Carter too and hopefully he gets a decent chance. I think he could be a solid backup PG.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's got great body control and doesn't reach hardly at all.
Remember your high school coach screaming "Play D with your feet!"

He clearly does that. His responsiveness to the offensive player is instant and instinctive, and he has great lateral movement. He is clearly a better defender than Melton IMO. He is one of those guys that people like Chris Paul, Harden, and Steph are going to hate to see enter the game. They will have to deal with Rubio's D, and then this guy. I think he could push Ty Jerome's minutes down.

If he can get his shooting back up to where he was entering the NBA, that is a real bonus. He is not a starter, but I believe he will be really effective off the bench. Many in Memphis thought he had the potential to be Conley's successor, but he would have some improvements to make on offense. Then they drafted Ja and he was expendable.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, he looks like a Pop player.
Notice that a lot of that video is against Trae Young. He forced Trae into quite a few air balls or near it. Here is some d against the toughest defensive assignment (for a guard) in the league.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
His defense is not nuanced. Its all power, speed, instinct and incredible effort. He is going to be a fan favorite because of that effort. For you old-timers, it will be like Ronnie Lee back in the 70's.

Last edited:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
His defense is not nuanced. Its all power, speed, instinct and incredible effort. He is going to be a fan favorite because of that effort. For you old-timers, it will be like Ronnie Leed back in the 70's.
Kinda reminds me of PJ Tucker.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
His defense is not nuanced. Its all power, speed, instinct and incredible effort. He is going to be a fan favorite because of that effort. For you old-timers, it will be like Ronnie Lee back in the 70's.
Ronnie Lee was my favorite. But I think that was driven by his Afro.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ronnie Lee was also know by the nickname, the Kamikaze Kid, because he went after everything with endless hustle.

Edit: He couldn't shoot either.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Is Carter going to play on our Summer League team?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I think that is a bit of a simplistic way of looking at it. Ultimately he was still a rookie out there learning how to score over NBA big men and against NBA defenses in general. While I wouldn't expect his talent to get significantly better than where it is I could absolutely see him improving in his understanding of the game and decision making and that would help him to be more efficient of a scorer.

These were my thoughts on Melton who had better metrics as a rookie despite the 3 year age difference. But I’m over it starting now. I suppose there’s more important things to stress out about than 4th string combo guards.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score