Jarret/Leinart investgation

8ndkorner

Registered
Reaction score
USC investigating possible Jarrett NCAA violationAssociated Press

LOS ANGELES -- USC officials are investigating whether an upscale apartment that wide receiver Dwayne Jarrett shared with former teammate Matt Leinart violated NCAA rules, according to a published report Sunday.

Leinart's father, Bob, put the duo on the lease at the secured apartment complex downtown after Leinart moved out of his former residence near campus because he was constantly hounded by fans.

Leinart -- the Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback picked 10th by the Arizona Cardinals in Saturday's NFL draft -- and Jarrett each paid $650 a month for the apartment that cost $3,866 a month, according to the Los Angeles Times. Leinart's father paid the difference and said he's been told Jarrett might have to repay him about $10,000, the newspaper reported.

University compliance officials are looking into whether the football program received an unfair advantage. While Bob Leinart would have been allowed to make up the difference for his son, he might not have been allowed to do so for another player.

Tim Tessalone, USC's director of sports information, confirmed Sunday that an investigation involving Jarrett's living arrangement was under way.

"At this point, we're still gathering information," Tessalone told The Associated Press, declining further comment.

The investigation is the latest cloud over the Trojans football program. The Pac-10 is looking into the living arrangement of 2005 Heisman winner Reggie Bush's family, who lived in a house owned by a man who reportedly sought to market him while he played for USC last season. NCAA rules prohibit student-athletes and their families from receiving extra benefits from agents or their representatives.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
To be honest, this sounds bogus. Sure, it might have been a violation of NCAA rules, but someone's dad helping out their son's friend isn't exactly scandalous. Seems like they're searching to find things to make the Trojans look bad at this point.

OP
OP
8ndkorner

8ndkorner

Registered
Reaction score
OK Matt does not seem to be scrutinized here but his Dad is. All are inocent till proven guilty but if this and the Bush family ordeal turn out to be a dark day for USC then I'll have to wonder what is with USC's players family? They MUST know the circumstances involved here.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't trust the NCAA to make a competent desicion on any athlete since they messed up Jeremy Bloom's ordeal.

I don't like the idea that the people running the NCAA can profit and lead very nice lives off of student athletes of all levels but look down at boosterism.

If this is the way some fat cat wants to blow his wad of cash than what should they care?

Bobcat

Reaction score
8ndkorner said:
USC investigating possible Jarrett NCAA violationAssociated Press

LOS ANGELES -- USC officials are investigating whether an upscale apartment that wide receiver Dwayne Jarrett shared with former teammate Matt Leinart violated NCAA rules, according to a published report Sunday.

Leinart's father, Bob, put the duo on the lease at the secured apartment complex downtown after Leinart moved out of his former residence near campus because he was constantly hounded by fans.

Leinart -- the Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback picked 10th by the Arizona Cardinals in Saturday's NFL draft -- and Jarrett each paid $650 a month for the apartment that cost $3,866 a month, according to the Los Angeles Times. Leinart's father paid the difference and said he's been told Jarrett might have to repay him about $10,000, the newspaper reported.

University compliance officials are looking into whether the football program received an unfair advantage. While Bob Leinart would have been allowed to make up the difference for his son, he might not have been allowed to do so for another player.

Tim Tessalone, USC's director of sports information, confirmed Sunday that an investigation involving Jarrett's living arrangement was under way.

"At this point, we're still gathering information," Tessalone told The Associated Press, declining further comment.

The investigation is the latest cloud over the Trojans football program. The Pac-10 is looking into the living arrangement of 2005 Heisman winner Reggie Bush's family, who lived in a house owned by a man who reportedly sought to market him while he played for USC last season. NCAA rules prohibit student-athletes and their families from receiving extra benefits from agents or their representatives.

This is so BS what the NCAA does to student Athlete's it really sucks. Why should any one ever be penalized for moving in with someone if a parent of one of them offers the other student to help share expenses and live with his or her son or daughter. The NCAA needs to get a life and loosen up, a lot.

Bobcat

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Give me a break. This is getting ridiculous. Matt's father? Someone has too much time on their hands.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think Richard Jefferson was suspended for a few games at UA because Bill Walton gave him and Luke plane tickets and tickets to some game.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
just shows how much money it cost to live in a half way decent place. my god i will never move to california. 54,000 thousand dollars to live in one place for a year. you gotta be kidding me

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
vinnymac said:
just shows how much money it cost to live in a half way decent place. my god i will never move to california. 54,000 thousand dollars to live in one place for a year. you gotta be kidding me

Vinny, either your calculator is busted or your dyslexic. $45,000.:D

seesred

Reaction score
I hate this junk..So what! I'm glad he is here and hope that these people lose themsselves in a closet in Bagdad.

GBR

AntSports Steve

Cardinals Future GM
Reaction score
This one is pretty bogus and someone is fishing.

My guess is both were paying around $650 to stay at the near campus place. Then Matt gets hounded constantly and tells Dad he's fed up.

Dad is allowed to pay anything he wants for his sons housing, dad can buy him a cool car. Dad can spend any amount as long as dad actual earns that much.

So, dad says, I'll put you up in some sercurity highrise with limited fan access. Matt says, "what about my roommate, can't leave him on the street and he can't afford more than $650/month.". Dad says no problem, he can still room with you and I'll pay the rest.

I'm sure the Dwayne kid didn't really want to move, but were forced to by Matt's situation with the fans. In theory, the correct move might have been for Matt's Dad to continue paying Matt's half of the rent at the old place so Dwayne could stay there alone. If they had a lease, that's probably what they would have had to do. If it was month to month, then it wouldn't be right dumping the apartment on Dwayne and forcing him to find a new roommate in the middle of the season.

I'm sure the NCAA will screw this up.

Of course, if they allow it, it might open a new loophole. Rich Dad will be able to put up a young prospect as a roommate for his son in some nice plush place.