Jalen Smith

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That is simply nothing but conjecture. You want to blame someone for being short sighted blame James Jones.

Server is a sucky owner, but he has his hands in the Ayton contract far more than Jalen freaking Smith.
There was no reason to decline his contract other than to save money. We're already over the cap, it doesn't give us any additional flexibility, if anything we lost some in terms of being able to work trades.

I don't think it is conjecture at all. This is the move of a cheap, crappy, meddling owner.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
There was no reason to decline his contract other than to save money. We're already over the cap, it doesn't give us any additional flexibility, if anything we lost some in terms of being able to work trades.

I don't think it is conjecture at all. This is the move of a cheap, crappy, meddling owner.
Prove it. Why is it that Sarver doesn’t have his hands in good moves but is solely responsible for perceived bad ones?

And before you start accusing me of supporting Sarver, I support common sense.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Prove it. Why is it that Sarver doesn’t have his hands in good moves but is solely responsible for perceived bad ones?

Because, in applying common sense, the only motivation for this move is saving Sarver money.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because, in applying common sense, the only motivation for this move is saving Sarver money.
No it isn't. Unless you're convinced that JJ wanted to keep him and Monty wanted to keep him but Sarver said hell no, I want to save a few bucks then it wasn't just about Sarver saving money.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'd call it diverting money to a player the Suns thought who could help more.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe we needed to free up his jersey number.
Okay, that's funny. But seriously, we all know Sarver watches every penny and that he can make some incredibly short-sighted decisions. But almost everyone here insisted Jalen was too highly drafted and then, after watching him play almost everyone here insisted he had no business being in the NBA.

Sarver is committing a lot of money to winning, if his people told him that Jalen could help us win do you really think he'd go cheap on him while spending twice as much money on a guard that's shown nothing in this league?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd call it diverting money to a player the Suns thought who could help more.
Okay, that's funny. But seriously, we all know Sarver watches every penny and that he can make some incredibly short-sighted decisions. But almost everyone here insisted Jalen was too highly drafted and then, after watching him play almost everyone here insisted he had no business being in the NBA.

Sarver is committing a lot of money to winning, if his people told him that Jalen could help us win do you really think he'd go cheap on him while spending twice as much money on a guard that's shown nothing in this league?

I would get the argument for financial flexibility if this move provided some, but it doesn't. This doesn't free up any extra money when it comes to the cap. We're over the cap and below the tax, Smith being on or off the roster would make no difference.

We gave up on the 10th pick in the draft after only one year and the only tangible benefit in doing so is saving the ownership some money. It is what it is.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

And again

No you don’t support common sense. It’s makes zero basketball sense and I mean none. It’s a money move

But we already know your stance on Sarver

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would get the argument for financial flexibility if this move provided some, but it doesn't. This doesn't free up any extra money when it comes to the cap. We're over the cap and below the tax, Smith being on or off the roster would make no difference.

We gave up on the 10th pick in the draft after only one year and the only tangible benefit in doing so is saving the ownership some money. It is what it is.
Well, first off the financial flexibility might not be for this season but regardless, I wasn't really talking about financial flexibility. Smith practiced poorly and he played poorly, those factored into the decision even if saving money was involved. If it was just about money Sarver could have saved a lot more by not offering Shamet his contract. And this franchise is going to be in taxpayer hell next season almost no matter what he does so again, it isn't just about Sarver being cheap.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Is it possible Stix could somehow be worth more unsigned, If we planned on trading him before seasons end anyway? His numbers have picked up.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it possible Stix could somehow be worth more unsigned, If we planned on trading him before seasons end anyway? His numbers have picked up.
I'm not an expert on this but I think it's possible though unlikely. I can imagine a scenario or two where he'd fit into trade plans for a team because he's not signed beyond this season but most teams that want him would want him locked in at a reasonable rate for as long as possible.

It looks like we just messed up. We didn't give him enough court time to develop him and failed to consider how his injury, his covid and the imact of covid on the team's practice and training schedule affected his development.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
And again

No you don’t support common sense. It’s makes zero basketball sense and I mean none. It’s a money move

LOL

Tell me, just what is my stance on Sarver?

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And again

I agree that it is a money move but I don't think you need to take a shot at Chap

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I loved the draft pick and he looks exactly like I thought he would.

Keeping him was a no brainer but Sarver will never go all in and spend money

All Jalen Smith needed is more time to develop. It was a bad move by the Suns not picking up his option.

I can only imagine how potential trade partners feel when they could have traded for him along with his rights for an expiring contract.

Some team may still want to trade for him. However, at this point the Suns are probably better off keeping him for the playoffs.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
It's looking more and more like a bonehead move to not pick up his option even if for no other reason than it looks more and more like he has shown real trade value once the Suns gave him enough of a chance to play.

And I don't have a single doubt that Sarver's meddling was mostly behind it.

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
I was really hoping we'd flip him for Thad Young, but now I hope we pump the brakes and see what this kid can do, at least until Ayton and McGee get back. He could have a bright future in this league.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I've always been high on his rebounding and defensive potential. His shooting will come but he can make an impact in the 2 areas we need help with now if he can get minutes. I would start him at PF and bring Crowder off the bench. It was definitely a mistake to not pick up his option because now he will be a UFA and PHX has no leverage to retain him via Bird's Rights by matching any offer for him and will still be looking for a PF but won't have money to find one.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
All Jalen Smith needed is more time to develop. It was a bad move by the Suns not picking up his option.

I can only imagine how potential trade partners feel when they could have traded for him along with his rights for an expiring contract.

Some team may still want to trade for him. However, at this point the Suns are probably better off keeping him for the playoffs.
Nobody is going to trade for him. Other teams know we can’t go higher than 5mil in the summer so why bother losing assets to get him now when they can just pay him more than 5 in the summer?

Keep in mind that because of that fact, even if there was a willing trade partner, we would be getting their garbage.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I've always been high on his rebounding and defensive potential. His shooting will come but he can make an impact in the 2 areas we need help with now if he can get minutes. I would start him at PF and bring Crowder off the bench. It was definitely a mistake to not pick up his option because now he will be a UFA and PHX has no leverage to retain him via Bird's Rights by matching any offer for him and will still be looking for a PF but won't have money to find one.
The problem with playing him at PF is that he is 100% for sure NOT a PF. And has no desire AT ALL to play one.
When he plays the 4 he looks like a baby Giraffe on sleeping pills.

Look at what we get when we play him at the position he knows WELL.
That guy is a straight up bonified 5 and when he plays there I can see the guy that I thought we drafted. The guy from all those college clips.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I think Sarver is hiding in a hole until all the other stuff blows over. Has he been at the games?

He's definitely been keeping a low profile. I'm just praying to the NBA gods that he gets permanently removed and has no further opportunities to embarrass or ruin the franchise going forward.