Jalen Carter: Arrest Warrant & Implicated in Fatal UGA Car Accident

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I still think he’s a top 15 pick regardless. As long as he didn’t hit the other car and make it crash then it’s just two young guys having a little fun. Yes it’s terrible that one guy lost control of his car and died but it’s not Carters fault. I think anyone who drafts him better get a good idea of his character and attitude when they interview him. Last let anyone throw the first stone that can honestly say they never raced when they were young. I couldn’t even begin to remember how many times I’ve raced and went over 100 mph.

I don't even think that. I think he still goes top 5 if this is all it is.

Nolan Smith had his license suspended for something that was never released, probably racing/speeding, then was caught speeding while his license was suspended. Nobody is talking about that putting his stock down.

If it's just a misdemeanor driving charge then it will be forgotten about in 7 weeks time.

If you didn't draft guys for misdemeanor driving charges you'd rule out about 10% of the draft.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A lot of us made some more risky choices in our early lives. Most of them dumb choices, but we did it.

Lots of people have growing up to do at that age. While I always applaud your conservative nature in never drinking and how you've approached driving, many of us had to have the "holy cow that was close" moment to learn from it.

If I recall correctly, the fastest I've ever gone in a non-controlled, street legal car is 135. I drove at 160+ on the racetrack here in Vegas. We once got my buddy's Eagle Summit up to 100, and I think it was about to come apart at the seams.

When you give these kids star power and free cars to drive for "recruiting," it's likely to lead to bad things.

You can't drive here until 17 and when I passed my test a week or so later I couldn't afford a car so my parents let me share theirs. It was a crap brown Austin Metro (this was mid 90's).

About 6 months later my friend got his license and a work van. We'd drive around in little convoys thinking we were awesome. One day we were racing down this 2 lane, both cars were pieces of junk that took about 14 seconds to reach 60mph but when you're that age you think you're Steve McQueen.

Anyway we got stuck side by side. Neither car fast enough to overtake the other, neither willing to give in. I had to go round the outside of a road divider and then about 50 yards ahead a car pulled out and I had to quit and fall back.

What I didn't know was that 100 yards behind me my Mum was watching all this in my Grandads car. Took me awhile to get that car back.

Kids do dumb **** in cars. Most these GM's and coaches have done dumb **** in cars.

(Not the actual beast below)

You must be registered for see images attach

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
You can't drive here until 17 and when I passed my test a week or so later I couldn't afford a car so my parents let me share theirs. It was a crap brown Austin Metro (this was mid 90's).

About 6 months later my friend got his license and a work van. We'd drive around in little convoys thinking we were awesome. One day we were racing down this 2 lane, both cars were pieces of junk that took about 14 seconds to reach 60mph but when you're that age you think you're Steve McQueen.

Anyway we got stuck side by side. Neither car fast enough to overtake the other, neither willing to give in. I had to go round the outside of a road divider and then about 50 yards ahead a car pulled out and I had to quit and fall back.

What I didn't know was that 100 yards behind me my Mum was watching all this in my Grandads car. Took me awhile to get that car back.

Kids do dumb **** in cars. Most these GM's and coaches have done dumb **** in cars.

(Not the actual beast below)

You must be registered for see images attach
My similar story includes being a passenger in a car in which the guy we were racing just barely jumped the tracks in front of what was clearly a train... a ghost train. Not even kidding. We were all shook. The guard rails weren't down, but there was that train.

We're all better off for those close moments that no one got hurt in.

I think I told the story a while back that my first time driving from my pelvis break in your country was me about to get t-boned, and actually speeding up instead of slowing down is the only reason I'm not in the hospital again, or maybe dead.

No excuse for Carter, but I don't think you're excusing it either.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My similar story includes being a passenger in a car in which the guy we were racing just barely jumped the tracks in front of what was clearly a train... a ghost train. Not even kidding. We were all shook. The guard rails weren't down, but there was that train.

We're all better off for those close moments that no one got hurt in.

I think I told the story a while back that my first time driving from my pelvis break in your country was me about to get t-boned, and actually speeding up instead of slowing down is the only reason I'm not in the hospital again, or maybe dead.

No excuse for Carter, but I don't think you're excusing it either.

No I'm not excusing it, but it's also very common. If you take the tragic accident out of it which was presumably not his fault this is a nothing burger (as things stand) and something that happens 1000's of times a day with young drivers.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
No I'm not excusing it, but it's also very common. If you take the tragic accident out of it which was presumably not his fault this is a nothing burger (as things stand) and something that happens 1000's of times a day with young drivers.
I think you and I have fundamentally disagreed on the kind of people we want on our team, but no use in arguing it too far.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think you and I have fundamentally disagreed on the kind of people we want on our team, but no use in arguing it too far.

I'm not one for punishing kids for mistakes via their job. That's what the law is for.

If there are real character to concerns such as drug use, DV, gang activity etc sure. Huge red flag.

Good kid made a mistake not so much.

I don't want to draft Carter anyway. Anderson or trade back for me.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
I still think he’s a top 15 pick regardless. As long as he didn’t hit the other car and make it crash then it’s just two young guys having a little fun. Yes it’s terrible that one guy lost control of his car and died but it’s not Carters fault. I think anyone who drafts him better get a good idea of his character and attitude when they interview him. Last let anyone throw the first stone that can honestly say they never raced when they were young. I couldn’t even begin to remember how many times I’ve raced and went over 100 mph.
uhm, you can go 90 on the 101 near desert ridge and get passed on the regular.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm not one for punishing kids for mistakes via their job. That's what the law is for.

If there are real character to concerns such as drug use, DV, gang activity etc sure. Huge red flag.

Good kid made a mistake not so much.

I don't want to draft Carter anyway. Anderson or trade back for me.

REAL character concerns involve smoking pot, not racing home drunk from the strip club and fleeing when your friends in the other car crash and die. Lol.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
A lot of us made some more risky choices in our early lives. Most of them dumb choices, but we did it.

Lots of people have growing up to do at that age. While I always applaud your conservative nature in never drinking and how you've approached driving, many of us had to have the "holy cow that was close" moment to learn from it.

If I recall correctly, the fastest I've ever gone in a non-controlled, street legal car is 135. I drove at 160+ on the racetrack here in Vegas. We once got my buddy's Eagle Summit up to 100, and I think it was about to come apart at the seams.

When you give these kids star power and free cars to drive for "recruiting," it's likely to lead to bad things.
We’ve all done dumb things, but how many have had deadly results? How many of us have lied to police or left the scene of an accident, with or without a fatality. Not all dumb things are equal.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Carter will still be drafted very high but I just don't see the Cards taking him. Keim would but Monti and Gannon are preaching a different tune. It will be a very interesting draft as we are really clueless on the type of players that fit their plans.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is no way I draft a guy who abandoned his teammates during a horrific accident.

I agree 100%

I said this the other day but it could be that he stopped and helped and that his teammates said for him to leave once there was nothing more to do so as to net get dragged into it.

Hard to judge until we know more.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
We all seem to believe that young men/boys of generations after ours are or should be more mature and responsible than we were at their age. Several generations now after mine seem to prove otherwise.

Yeck, I was occasionally accepting a challenge at a stop light and stomping the gas when I was 40, only thing different was I was smart enough by then not to be drinking and doing it.

I would be way too ashamed to tell you all the stupid things I did when young, especially the results of some drives I took unconsciously drunk or on LSD. Several times I woke up the next morning and had no recollection of driving home, as well as not a clue to why my car looked like a couple tow trucks had a go at it from both ends.

I have wondered many times why and how I am still alive. But scarier is the wondering if I ever hurt or killed someone in an accident I didn't even remember being in. Maybe living this long is my sentence, and the constant pain throughout my body that I live with daily is my punishment.

Hopefully soon I will have paid my debt to the universe and earned my release, being paroled for good behavior.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
As long as he didn’t hit the other car and make it crash then it’s just two young guys having a little fun.
Two young guys having a little fun. My god.
Yes it’s terrible that one guy lost control of his car and died but it’s not Carters fault.
How in the hell do you know it's not his fault? I haven't seen anything exonerating him.
I couldn’t even begin to remember how many times I’ve raced and went over 100 mph.
Your lucky you never injured yourself or others with this stupidity. There is no reason to go over 100 MPH.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The speeding / racing is immaturity and excusable.

The putting yourself over teammates in mortal danger is character and inexcusable.

That's the difference. He will get drafted just like @Harry said somewhere after round 2

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't even think that. I think he still goes top 5 if this is all it is.

Nolan Smith had his license suspended for something that was never released, probably racing/speeding, then was caught speeding while his license was suspended. Nobody is talking about that putting his stock down.

If it's just a misdemeanor driving charge then it will be forgotten about in 7 weeks time.

If you didn't draft guys for misdemeanor driving charges you'd rule out about 10% of the draft.

Right but nobody was considering drafting Nolan Smith 1st overall like they were with Carter.

That said I think one thing is VERY obvious, the University of Georgia has a problem with their team and racing cars. Carter with multiple instances, Smith apparently, there were other teammates there and the recruiting coordinator etc. I think it's pretty obvious there's a group in that program that likes to race cars.

ONe of the boosters should NIL them an open track so they can do it safely

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We’ve all done dumb things, but how many have had deadly results? How many of us have lied to police or left the scene of an accident, with or without a fatality. Not all dumb things are equal.

Yep one of my lasting memories from childhood was walking home from school in HS one day, I was a freshman, with several friends. Came around a curve to a straight away and there was a car that had missed the left turn and hit the tree. It was about 100 feet from my house, my next door neighbors mom was there trying to see if anybody needed help. and in the drivers seat was a kid in my class, a freshman, no license, and he was trying to get a girl from the passenger seat to change seats with him so he wouldn't get in trouble for driving without a license. My neighbors mom told me the whole story she said I was so furious with him but in that minute I was trying to determine if everyone was alive and ok or I would have slapped him silly. This was pre cell phone so she was trying to get someone to call 911. Someone had the police showed up shortly. The kid who was driving everyone else in the car told the police the truth, they were all furious with him for what he tried to do. I think he eventually flunked out of school.

As John Wooden said adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it. If your first reaction in an accident like this is to flee the scene so you don't get in trouble, I question your character.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I agree 100%

I said this the other day but it could be that he stopped and helped and that his teammates said for him to leave once there was nothing more to do so as to net get dragged into it.

Hard to judge until we know more.
“Not get dragged into” a situation he helped create? Okay.

Cardinal Bob

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
If Anderson goes #1, and Houston takes a QB at #2, I'd still take Carter at #3.

At present, the charges are misdemeanors. Unless they are upgraded for some reason we don't know yet, he's gonna pay a fine...probably lose his license for a while, but I doubt he gets any jail time. And like someone said earlier (Solar7, maybe?), if we don't take him, someone else will - likely one of our rivals - & he will absolutely terrorize us for the next 10 yrs. That would be less than ideal.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If Anderson goes #1, and Houston takes a QB at #2, I'd still take Carter at #3.

At present, the charges are misdemeanors. Unless they are upgraded for some reason we don't know yet, he's gonna pay a fine...probably lose his license for a while, but I doubt he gets any jail time. And like someone said earlier (Solar7, maybe?), if we don't take him, someone else will - likely one of our rivals - & he will absolutely terrorize us for the next 10 yrs. That would be less than ideal.

If Anderson goes #1 and we don't trade a buttload of picks for the #3 then we are worse than a poverty franchise and should be kicked down to XFL status immediately.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Don't leave the scene of an accident (ESPECIALLY if it involves your friends/loved ones).
2. Don't drink and drive. (This should be #1.)
3. Don't ******* speed! NASCAR, Richard Petty Experience, and other organizations have opportunities for you to drive at 130+ in a safe environment. (I've done it. It's a little scary.)

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
If Anderson goes #1 and we don't trade a buttload of picks for the #3 then we are worse than a poverty franchise and should be kicked down to XFL status immediately.
I am all for that ..... XFL here we come!

NFL should be like English Soccer used to be. (not sure if they still are) They have different levels sort of like baseball's Major league, and AAA, AA, A leagues. And it works like this: Each year, or so (not positive how often), the best team in lets call it the AAA level league can work their way into the Major league and take the place of the worst Major League team, who is relegated down a level to AAA. The same goes for each level as teams move up or down based on how they improve or get worse over time.

That isn't exactly how it worked, but you get the jest.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose